News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Character contest.

Started by Faiyloe, April 24, 2015, 03:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faiyloe

So I am working on a new fan fiction, it is in the beginning stages and I feel like I need some new blood. Mix things up a bit.

So here is how this is going to work. You can all submit a character by filling out the character sheet below, I pick my favorite and the winner gets put in the fan fiction. The winner also gets a drawing of their character.

Plot
The Fanfiction takes place in a pre-Redwall world before Brockhall was built, during the time of Spearlady Gorse's rein at Salalmandastron, while her father Rules Mossflower from Kotir. To the north the Greeneyes empire is just starting to come into being, Slavers and bandits run rabid and the seas are swarming with corsairs... it is a difficult time from the good beasts of Mossflower.

Character sheet

Name:
Age(The human equivalent):
Weapon(s)(If any):
Appearance:
Personality:
History(My be subject to change due to story coherency):
A paragraph (This is optional) (Write a paragraph or more under 300 words give or take a few, about a scene in the characters life) :
[close]

By submitting a character into this contest you are agreeing to let me use this character as my own (Though you will get some credit if I ever get this done) and make any changes as I see fit.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Gonff the Mousethief

Name: Warnebald Scottsworth

Race: Fox

Age(The human equivalent): 35

Weapon(s)(If any): An axe, which is decorated with straps of blue dyed leather and adorned with a sapphire on the bottom, and a bow crated from an oak tree.

Appearance: Has normal fur, though with a more dark tent to it. At birth, he did not have a right ear or tail, and most of his face looked to have a burn type appearance, making the poor fellow an outcast. Blue are his eyes, and bright at that. Normally, he would wear his normal attire of a tunic and cloak, but when he goes into hiding, he can switch to what ever may be necessary. 

Personality: Very reserved and held back. Thoughts are his only friends, and doesn't usually take charge. He feels with his birth affects he is an outcast, and no body will take notice of him.

History: Born to a mother and father who were entitled to slave traders, Warnebald had no friends and took pity on the ones his age who his parents beat. Sadly, his father was a drunk, which had led to his birth defects, and which caused him many beatings. After one incident, he left his parent's small fort and ran south for Mossflower. Here, he turned himself into a shadow, spying and hiding from others, for no one would want to look upon a fox who was ugly and messed up. This led him to becoming a thief and criminal, who many dubbed "The Creature". No one saw him, and that was how he liked it. Finally, he found a wandering Otter named Scott Canmire. The ugly fox attacked the young man, and killed him accidentley, only getting his name before the accident. In shock, hid away, and stopped thieving, never wanting to hirt anyone again. To settle for what he had done, Warnebald changed his last name from Ignawirth to Scottsworth in honor of the Otter he killed. To this day, the fox still does not show his face and has become a fierce hunter in Mossflower.

A paragraph:

There he was, the Otter. Slow was his walk, but large was his pack and keen was his axe. Oh, this was a good one alright. Steadily, the hideous fox stalked his new victim. Luck was in his favor, for the Otter sat beneath a large birch for a quick rest. Now, he had him. Wanrebald fell, creating not a sound when his paws touched the soft earth. Behind the tree he crept, pulling his dagger out, ready to pounce.
"Shhh, hush now...""
The Young Otter froze as the cold blade touched his neck. His dark eyes scanned to area, but he could not find his captor.
"S-sir, Pl-lease.."
"Oh, do not fret... I will not harm you..."
The sound of a gulp was heard from the poor captive.
"W-what do y-you want-t?"
"Just your weapon n' pack, that's all..."
How could he give away all of provisions and weapon to a criminal while lost in Mossflower! He just, just couldn't.
"No!"
With that, the fox tightened his grip to the Otter's neck. His hand felt a warm substance upon it. Looking down, deep red blood was covering his paw, pouring from the prisoner's mouth. Quickly, he took back his paw, and examined the large cut in the Otter's neck where the poor fellow had tried to push away from.
"N-n-o-o....."
Warnebald stepped back. He had just... killed... a creature... Oh no, No.. NO!
The ugly fox hugged the dead body of the slain otter. Never did he want this, never.

Later that morning, he buried the young man, placing the name Scott Canmire on the stone (He had found the name sown onto his pack). And with that, "The Creature" went on with life a new person, carrying the new name of Warnebald Scottsworth and Scott's axe with him until the end of his days.

Great Idea Faiy! I hope this heap of a fox will do well!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Edraithel

Name: Anya Windfurrow

Race: Vole

Age(The human equivalent): 19

Weapon(s)(If any): Bow and Arrows, a dagger as secondary weapon

Appearance: Short and stout like most hedgehogs. She wears medium length, dark teal skirt with long slits in the side. Around her waist is a wide black belt that goes from her waist to just below her chest. She wears a wide, elbow length sleeved tunic tucked into the belt, with long tight sleeves underneath (the long sleeves are the same grey as accents) that is the same color as the skirt with medium grey accents around the collar and sleeves. On her hands are black fingerless gloves. Her eyes are gold-green, and she has a scar on her right leg that runs from her knee to her hip.

Personality: quick and strategic thinker, self confident, independent and decisive, open-minded, hard working. She can be judgmental, overly analytical, clueless in relationships, and reluctant to work within a team where routine and rules are most important.

History(May be subject to change due to story coherency): Anya grew up on a farm northeast of Salamandastron with her parents and her three younger siblings. They grew beets, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and tomatoes, they would some times trade with the hares from the Salamandastron. When Anya was 10 the winter was harsh and it came early, many of the crops died. Anya's youngest sister, Juniper, who was 7, was always a strong and healthy child but that winter she caught a deadly cold and died before spring came. The death was hard for Anya's family and her father went mad with grief, he wandered off one day and never came back. After her father left Anya's brother, Devin, who was the oldest, had to look after their family and he did a good job. Since Anya was the second oldest he decided to teach her to shoot a bow so if anything happened to him, Anya would be able to protect herself and their family. One day when Anya was 14, Devin and her were out fishing when a lone wolf spotted them and sneaked up behind Devin. The wolf killed Devin and Anya was almost killed herself as well but she managed to survive. After Devin died Anya decided it was no longer safe for her mother, her younger sister, Hedy, and herself to live on their farm so she sought a home at Salamandsatron. The scar she has on her leg was from when her father went into a fit of rage after Juniper's death. Anya never forgave her father for that and she is always guarded against people who are trying to get close to her. She prefers to use a bow since it means she doesn't have to get close to her enemies and fight them hand to hand, after having killed the wolf at the stream Anya never wanted to have to feel someone's blood running down her arms again. She is criticized by people who don't know her backstory for being cowardly for not wanting to fight up close. (If you want she could later realize that her hands are stained in blood from killing even though she does not have the physical signs of it. She could have an internal struggle over this and you could have her either decide to not kill again or she resolve that she still kill vermin. Just a thought.)

A paragraph (This is optional) (Wright a paragraph or more under 300 words give or take a few, about a scene in the characters life) :
It was a beautiful day and Devin was playfully splashing Anya with his foot as they fished. Anya giggled and tried to get Devin wet as well. They had caught three fish so far and would soon be able to go back to the farm just in time for supper. The sun shown warmly and it was peaceful. Anya looked down at the stream and watched the soft current pull the weeds.
Suddenly out of the corner of her eye Anya saw a flash of light and she turned to look. A wolf was standing behind Devin with a knife in his back. Devin's face was contorted in pain and he grunted hoarsely. As quick as the knife had gone into Devin's back, he twisted around and the wolf lost grip of the weapon, he hadn't thought his victim would have any fight in him. The knife slide from Devin's back and tumbled into the water. Devin Grabbed the wolf by the wrists and wrestled with him, trying to give Anya time to run. The wolf wrenched his hands free and clawed Devin across the throat. Devin hit the ground with a dull thud. As Anya had been watching this she had been backing up until she stumbled into the stream and was on her back. The wolf turned it's attention to Anya and started to advance towards her. Anya turned onto her stomach and crawled as fast as she could away from the wolf as she could. The wolf grabbed one of her legs and pulled her sharply, she kicked him in the stomach and scambled away again. The wolf recovered quickly and as it grabbed her leg again Anya's hand found the knife that had fallen into the stream. As the wolf lunged towards Anya she turned around and held the knife in front of her with both hands. The wolf fell onto the blade and it sank into his chest. Anya felt blood run down her arms and she fell flat on her back as she was pushed to the ground by the weight of the now dead wolf. She struggled to breath and panic set in. Her breathes came in short rasps as she managed to clambered out from under the wolf. She looked down at her hands with the knife still in one of her paws. She shuddered and then dropped the blade into the stream. Splashing water onto herself she tried to wash away the stains that covered her. After that day the picture of the blood swirling through the water and the smell of death stayed with Anya no matter how much she tried to forget it.

Sorry for the long parapgraph I got caught up in writing the story and went a little further then intended. I hope you like her! :)
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Faiyloe

No problem, The limit was just there to keep people from writing a novella.  ;D Ethidrel, Is you character a Vole or a Hedgehog?

Oh and thanks PoM

Also I fixed the spelling of the word "write" it was late when I wrote this and my mind regresses when I am really tired XP

Edraithel

I didn't know what I really wanted to make her so I decided on a vole, but you could have her be any species you want since her backstory really doesn't require a specific one.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Faiyloe

Thanks, vole works well actually and would fit in with some already preexisting characters.

Faiyloe

I just realized that I did not set a deadline for this so lets give it a week and say that all entries must be in by May 4th

Dibbun Against Bedtime

Name: Othgrott
Race: Polar Bear
Age(The human equivalent): 56
Weapon(s)(If any):
Appearance: White fur with a scar running across his left eye.
Personality: Friendly, but cautious
History(My be subject to change due to story coherency): Born in the Land of Ice and Snow, he was enslaved in a horde led by Athnek Rocksnout, a wolf king, who tried to attack Kotir. When Athnek's armies were defeated in Mossflower,  Othgrott was sent to Salamandastron. He is second in command to Spearlady Gorse.
A paragraph (This is optional) (Write a paragraph or more under 300 words give or take a few, about a scene in the characters life) :
Othgrott sat there. He just sat, unnoticed on the cold, snowy ground in a clearing.No use trying to move when you're chained up, he confided. Suddenly a raucous yell echoed and many small mice and hares soon came to free him. One yelled out, "Ah jolly well say, sah, come wit' me! Ya look jolly well shabby, ah know just were to go!" Othgrott decided to follow this strange hare with an even stranger accent. As the hare marched and the polar bear followed (albeit quite noisily) through the heavily wooded lands to Kotir.

Once they were there, Othgrott met the ruler, Acrus Steelsword, and soon went away again, this time with a entourage of 5 hares. They traveled through snowy mountains and arid plains until they finally arrived at the great mountain, Salamandastron.
"An' if on an empty tummy I'm slain,
Then I'll jolly well never get killed again,
So pass the pudden an' fetch those pies,
An' I'll give the foebeast a rotten surprise!"

Jukka the Sling

This is actually one of my RP characters, with one or two slight modifications.

Name: Kaylan

Race: Otter

Weapon(s): Bow and arrows, which she is very proficient with (though not perfect).

Appearance: Has gray eyes and medium-brown fur. She wears a simple blue tunic.

Personality: Friendly to all decent beasts. She can be kind of rash, a little proud, and is also a bit tomboyish. She is extremely distrustful of vermin and holds the opinion that they can never change. (In the RP, she did finally overcome her prejudice.)

History: Orphaned when she was younger and has stayed with Skipper and his ottercrew her whole life. She has never participated in a battle before and thus has no idea how horrific war actually is. (As shown in the RP, once she had been in a battle, she was a bit traumatized.)

A paragraph: The snow whirled in the wind outside, drifting against the huge tree by the riverbank under which the otter holt lived. Six-season-old Kaylan sat on the floor by the hearth, huddling into herself with sorrow. An old otterwife sat near her, offering comfort which the little ottermaid refused to take. Her parents were gone. They had been sick for so long, and now they were gone. Skipper had said that they had gone away and she would see them again someday. He hadn't actually said they were dead, but Kaylan wasn't stupid. She could see the sadness in his eyes and knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they had died.

And she was angry. Why did they have to die? And why did Skip and everyone else insist that they'd only gone away? She was so sad that her parents were dead (and she knew they were), and why did Skip and everyone have to make things worse by lying to her about it as though she couldn't handle the truth?

At that, a tear rolled down the tip of her nose, and she started sobbing as though her heart would break. Her parents were never coming back.

The old otterwife reached out for her. "Come, Kaylan," she said kindly. "Why don't you sit on my lap?"

Kaylan drew back defiantly, glaring at her through her tears. "Nuh-uh." She wiped her eyes with the back of her paw, then said suddenly: "Mum and Dad are dead."

The otterwife looked at her calmly, then heaved a sigh and said, "I won't try t' tell you otherwise. Yes, dear, they died, but you'll see 'em again someday."

Kaylan's sobs gradually subsided, and she blinked sleepily at the fire. After a moment she got to her footpaws and climbed into the otterwife's lap, leaning against her until she fell asleep.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Hickory

My favorite RP charaacter:
Name: Asher
Race: Squirrel
Age(The human equivalent): 32
Weapon(s)(If any): Bow and arrows
Appearance: Black squirrel
Personality: Kind, reclusive
History(My be subject to change due to story coherency): Lost his parents at a young age, roamed the countryside, then learned archery from an older beast who eeventuually died of age.

White snow settled against the black fur of Asher, contrasting jarringly. He took it all in stride, following the path heading south, subcounsciosly twanging the bowstring. A small ration packk hung over his shoulder, which he had "liberated" from a pair of weasel slavers. He had mentally debated heading south, knowing that danger and slavery waited him there, but Asher was ever the wanderer.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

vencelylalas

Faiyloe

So I don't have the prizes yet and it may take a real long while but the winner is Thel's character Anya!  ;D Congratulations Thel.  ;D All of you guys did a really good job. this character was just a little closer to what I wanted, and her history and back story fit well with another character that I already have. 

Edraithel

Thank you! I'm really happy that my character was what you were looking for. She was so much fun to come up with and I hope she does well in your story  ;D I'll be excited to read the story when your'e done with it. ;D

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Skyblade

I was a bit late to this, but cool idea :) Congrats, Thel!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!