News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

[ADVICE] Crispy Cheese & Onion Hogbake

Started by Stellamara, July 28, 2015, 11:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stellamara

This recipe is straight out of Mr. Jacques' "The Redwall Cookbook," and I was wondering if anyone has made it for themselves. I'm a good cook, but mine seemed to come out a little off.

Specifically, the recipe calls for "2 medium onions, chopped," so I just did a rough chop (not too big, not too small). Now I'm thinking that I should have diced them or sauteed them separately first, because even after 40 minutes of cooking, they were still on the raw side. Additionally, I think baking at 350 degrees is too low--I also think it could have come out hotter than it did.

Since this recipe is basically a quiche, I think I'm going to try retooling it from that angle. What have been your experiences, Abbey folk?

Eulaliaaa!

I couldn't cook a good meal to save my life, but I've watched my dad cook a lot, so I might be able to help. I think sauteed onions (don't know how to do that, just know my dad does that sometimes) would be a good idea, and maybe you should let it cook for a little longer. Just an idea, might not even change much  :P
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Stellamara

I was thinking of sautéing the onions anyways, because sautéed onions are delish! I'd eat a rock covered in sautéed onions. Mmm.  ;D

The Skarzs

Heh.

Yeah, I was going to suggest sautéing the onions, but I think almost mincing them might improve the outcome.
Feel free to mess around with the recipe; I've modified recipes plenty of times, finding out that a better temperature would be this, or a better additive would be that, some seasoning tastes good in A, half-cooking something in B, etc. That's what makes cooking fun sometimes.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.