Where Art Goes to Die - Sage's Art thread

Started by Hickory, September 24, 2015, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

I'm taking another stab at this. (thanks Rain)

Random Manga

Be warned: This one isn't as good.
[close]

Chibi

I can do requests if you want.
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Faiyloe

Oh that Chibi is actually really cute XD And the other two aren't to bad either. Just a quick tip the back of the chin should go back to under the ear so the angle of the jaw should be a tad less steep and the neck could be a tad thinner but that is just drawing style really. Keep it up
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Hickory

Yeah, that jaw was freehand. I didn't do any guidlines on that one.   :P

Faiyloe

That is what practice is for.  ;D You learn the correct guidelines and proportions.  ;) Keep it up.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Skyblade

Those make a great start, Sage; they really do. Keep at it. Ok?

And the Chibi is very good.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Rainshadow

*Pretends I didn't show up to the topic four days late*  Eyy!  You're off to a good start, Sage-kun!  I'm loving the detail you put into the hair, and that chibi is fantastic.  Such an amazing expression.  ;D  Lol, and I can tell exactly which book you have for reference, 'cause that's the first manga instruction book I ever got.  xD  Mark Crilley's an awesome artist, and his books are really helpful.

Oh, I was meaning to say this in my own thread, but since I'm here already, I might as well say it now: if you ever need any help with technique or guidelines or anything, feel free to ask me and I can whip up a little tutorial or something.  :)

As for a request, I'd like to ask for a headshot of Sera, from Dragon Age: Inquisition:

If you need a bit of a personality description for an expression, she's basically a goofball pranker who never takes anything seriously.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Banya

Hey Sage, don't be as down on yourself as you are in your title.  Hold on to those drawings above - they're yours, and they're valuable.  I read once that your drawings reflect the way you see the world.  These are good, and it'll be amazing to see how you improve as this thread grows.  Oh, and I'll throw a request your way in a bit. ;)

Hickory

Quote from: Rainshadow on September 28, 2015, 08:51:19 PM
  *Pretends I didn't show up to the topic four days late*  Eyy!  You're off to a good start, Sage-kun!  I'm loving the detail you put into the hair, and that chibi is fantastic.  Such an amazing expression.  ;D  Lol, and I can tell exactly which book you have for reference, 'cause that's the first manga instruction book I ever got.  xD  Mark Crilley's an awesome artist, and his books are really helpful.

Oh, I was meaning to say this in my own thread, but since I'm here already, I might as well say it now: if you ever need any help with technique or guidelines or anything, feel free to ask me and I can whip up a little tutorial or something.  :)

As for a request, I'd like to ask for a headshot of Sera, from Dragon Age: Inquisition:

If you need a bit of a personality description for an expression, she's basically a goofball pranker who never takes anything seriously.
Sorry - completely missed this. Of course.

Mhera

*Makes Rain look early* Hey, nice work, Sage :) Keep at it if you enjoy it!

Hickory

Well, the loan on my manga-guide-blessing-of-the-anime-gods expired and my mom took it back to the library, which basically leaves me helpless. Until I get it back....

Gods, why am I asking this in my own art thread?

Do y'all have any advice on three-quarter head drawings?

Rainshadow

*Awkwardly late reply*

So, this isn't specifically for 3/4 angles, but one thing that's really helped me with drawing faces is guidelines.  Specifically drawing a circle, then drawing a plus in the middle of the circle, with the vertical line extending down to become the tip of the chin.  Then you draw the jawline however you want it to look, and the facial features where you want them.  (Example of something like what I do:)

I personally add another horizontal line underneath the one on this picture so that I have a little "cage" for the eyes, and then near where the bottom horizontal line and the vertical line meet is where I put the nose, but that's not where they officially need to go.  (Kinda bad examples of my face guidelines:)

So, yeah, the top of the circle is roughly where the head should end (although if you're drawing hair, I'd recommend going beyond the restrictions of the circle with the hair's volume ;)), the eyes are kept between the two horizontal lines and on either side of the vertical line, the nose is running along the vertical line near to the bottom horizontal line, and the mouth is somewhere between the nose and the chin.

As for angling the face in different directions, if you use guidelines, it's quite easy to do so.  You simply put the vertical line in whichever way you're drawing the face, and draw the horizontal lines according to which direction the vertical line is facing.  (I'd draw you something to help explain, but my scanner's on the fritz again and my brother's unable to fix it as he's currently watching the Star Wars films he got for Christmas.  :-\)

This probably didn't help a whole bunch, but I hope it at least helped a little!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Hickory

Ah. I read about those quidlines, but I've never heard about the eye cage idea before. Thanks. I have some time tonight, so I can try do it. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Skyblade

I find that advice helpful myself! Thank you, Rain!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

Here's the first draft of Sera for Rain: forgive me for everything (and don't even look at the nose. Seriously.) I'd like to try it again later.

(and the image link just stopped working, so you'll have to go to it directly: http://postimg.org/image/3po4p5g7r/

Also, if, by chance, anybody wants a map drawn, I can do that. I'd love to do it. I'm working on one right now. *smile*

Rainshadow

Hey, that's awesome!  Thanks!  :D

I'll get back to you on requesting a map when I finally work out the geographical details for Tir...