News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Character Namesakes?

Started by Dotti Dillworthy, May 09, 2016, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotti Dillworthy

Let's talk about names and how they are used in some other way.

I just found out in Outcast of Redwall, maybe, there is a hare named Starbuck. Add an "S" at the end, and you've got the name of your favourite coffee house.
And even more funny for me: the term muggle used to describe non-magical folk of Hogwarts is used by somebeast (I can't even recall) from Marlfox!

Any other interesting namesakes?

Ashleg

Since you're in to Harry Potter, this one:
There's a rat named Wormtail in the first book. Coincidence? I think not! XP

Krowdon

Ahh well Redwall came out well before Harry Potter.

I am curious though, when was Muggle used in Marlfox?

James Gryphon

Apparently Muggle was a minor character in the Troupe there.

Marlfox was published in '98, so the name might've been written there before Rowling's book came out. But in any case, Mr. Jacques is on record as saying that he avoided reading other people's books, to prevent any creative osmosis.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

Quote from: Ashleg on May 09, 2016, 09:55:44 PM
Since you're in to Harry Potter, this one:
There's a rat named Wormtail in the first book. Coincidence? I think not! XP
Dear love, don't hold this to me.

The Skarzs

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 29, 2016, 04:45:06 AM

Marlfox was published in '98, so the name might've been written there before Rowling's book came out. But in any case, Mr. Jacques is on record as saying that he avoided reading other people's books, to prevent any creative osmosis.
I believe it's disclaimed in the front of his books that any names or places in his stories that are found other places are purely coincidental.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Quote from: Skarzs on August 29, 2016, 02:21:07 PM

I believe it's disclaimed in the front of his books that any names or places in his stories that are found other places are purely coincidental.

Isn't that in the beginning of every fictional book ever?

Hickory

It's at the beginning of just about everything. Copyright issues.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Ashleg on August 29, 2016, 03:40:37 PM
Quote from: Skarzs on August 29, 2016, 02:21:07 PM

Isn't that in the beginning of every fictional book ever?
Maybe. :P

But yeah, as James said, he didn't read other fiction because he didn't want it affecting his stories, and he liked to make up names.
I've actually made up names and words that turned out to already exist.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

True- it's easier than you think. I've made up scientific theories that turned out to be true ::)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

What is it, "There is no new idea on this earth"?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Or "There's nothing new under the sun." ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on May 09, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
Let's talk about names and how they are used in some other way.

I just found out in Outcast of Redwall, maybe, there is a hare named Starbuck. Add an "S" at the end, and you've got the name of your favourite coffee house.
And even more funny for me: the term muggle used to describe non-magical folk of Hogwarts is used by somebeast (I can't even recall) from Marlfox!

Any other interesting namesakes?

Starbucks is someones favorite coffee house ?  :P :o O0 O0 O0

* also, favorite
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Delthion

And don't forget Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica! ;D (The original is best. ;D)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.