News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite book in the redwall series

Started by alexandre, August 15, 2016, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite redwall book?

Redwall
1 (6.7%)
Mossflower
9 (60%)
Salamandastron
0 (0%)
Martin The Warrior
0 (0%)
The Bellmaker
0 (0%)
Outcast of Redwall
0 (0%)
The Long Patrol
0 (0%)
Marlfox
0 (0%)
Triss
0 (0%)
Loamhedge
0 (0%)
Rakkety Tam
3 (20%)
High Rhulain
0 (0%)
Eulalia
0 (0%)
Doomwyte
0 (0%)
The Sable Quean
0 (0%)
The Rouge Crew
0 (0%)
Other Redwall Book Such as the riddler or the cookbook.
1 (6.7%)
Taggerung
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

alexandre

Quote from: Skarzs on August 31, 2016, 05:17:52 PM
Definitely Mossflower! It set the standard for so many things in the series, like the way the moles were and the personality of Martin, as well as the origin of his sword. It had this feeling throughout the book of something older and more original than any of the others. It encompassed a huge area of the world, kind of like mapping Mossflower in a way, and it introduced several interesting places like Salamandastron and the legendary badgers, Brockhall, Kotir (and the future site of Redwall), among other things. The culture of the book was also interesting, with what seemed to be an organized army that took taxes, the distinct feeling of unrest, and how we just knew a storm was about to break.

I could go on. In my opinion, it's the most well-written book in the series.

I very much agree
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Søren

Mossflower was my first, and stole my heart as my favorite ever since.

I found a copy of Taggurung at a yard sale the other day. That was a cool through back. :)

I'm retired from the forum

belle

I accidentally picked Pearls of Lutra. I meant to pick the Taggerung.
It is not the best Redwall book of the series and Deyna is a bit annoying. However, it was my second Redwall book and the first I read that had the Abbey in it (the first book of the series I'd read was Lord Brocktree, which was captivating, but rather dark and sobering for an 11 year old kid). I didn't care much about the plot of woodlander raised by a vermin because I didn't understand the good species / evil species thing Redwall had going on and it was poorly handled anyway. But the story of a son finding his mother and sister again is always heartwarming and Redwall Abbey seemed like a delightful and romantic place to live when I read that second book so long ago.
Sad to say after many books, the series seemed to become repetitive. Mossflower was as beautiful a book as its name. Martin the Warrior was, like Lord Brocktree, captivating, but very dark and emotional; I never read it more than once. Still a great book. I liked Salamandastron for the conflict between a rebellious daughter and a father figure who died before she could understand what he wanted to teach her. Mattimeo was a great adventure; so was the Bellmaker, and i have to admit I especially loved the fact there was a good vermin - while that shouldn't be a plot twist that's used in every book, it's an occasional treat. Pearls of Lutra was a favorite, mostly because of getting to see day to day life for a main character who seemed to be a bit younger than the usual Redwall protagonist, but not a baby. I absolutely loved Marlfox.
Unfortunately I have to say all the rest of the ones I've read (and i haven't read them all yet) are merely entertaining because they're a continuation of the series. I didn't like Redwall, but it was Jacques' first work, so it wasn't perfect. I didn't care for Mariel of Redwall and didn't care for Mariel. I didn't like Long Patrol, and didn't like whatever book that was that had the hare who was aloof from other hares because he felt "different" from them and "didn't speak like the other hares did." Outcast of Redwall was entertaining but a bit stupid. I didn't like whatever Redwall book had the Diibbuns who were all kidnapped and then saved by an annoying shrewmaid. Triss and Holt Rhulain were just ok. Eulalia was laughable in its plot with the badgers and was only interesting because of the brief time that Orkwil was a flawed character in trouble before he made a 180 aboutface within moments and became a leader like most flawed Redwall protagonists do; Maudie was even more bland in that respect than Orkwil, just another gluttonous, feisty, bland haremaid like Dottie Duckworthy. I think Rakkety Tam was my least favorite; I hardly even remembered it existed.

Hickory

Marlfox is definitely one of the books I reread a lot, with lots of good heroes and a thick plot. My only problem with it is that there's no real success in the Marlfox siege, it's just about them getting picked off one by one with no success on their side.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

alexandre

My least favorite was the Rouge Crew, I don't know exactly why but it was just very dull,  :-\ So much so that I still don't remember the ending and I never make it that far when I try to read it.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: alexandre on September 17, 2016, 08:44:20 PM
My least favorite was the Rouge Crew, I don't know exactly why but it was just very dull,  :-\ So much so that I still don't remember the ending and I never make it that far when I try to read it.

My reason for not liking it is that there was no central character to be the main hero. Yeah, there was the Scottish rabbit and that one otter, but there was no one like Triss or Tagg that really stood out. Also, all of those hedgehogs are useless in every way.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

All I remember of the Rogue Crew is Razzid and his ship, the... Gorleech? Am I thinking of something else?

Naturally, I voted Mossflower.

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

Blast! This is tough. I voted Rakkety Tam, but it was split between that and Martin the Warrior, The Long Patrol and Redwall.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

alexandre

Quote from: Søren on September 21, 2016, 06:01:36 AM
All I remember of the Rogue Crew is Razzid and his ship, the... Gorleech? Am I thinking of something else?

Naturally, I voted Mossflower.

Naturally, of course O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Banya

Legend of Luke, closely followed by Pearls of Lutra and Taggerung.

Delthion

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 21, 2016, 06:04:03 AM
Blast! This is tough. I voted Rakkety Tam, but it was split between that and Martin the Warrior, The Long Patrol and Redwall.

For me it's either Rakkety Tam or Mattimeo, but I voted Rakkety Tam. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

alexandre

I eliminated all the 1 vote books, recast your votes please. Note: You don't need to change the book you vote for, just vote for it again, unless it was eliminated.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

alexandre

Quote from: belle on September 12, 2016, 10:36:58 PM
I accidentally picked Pearls of Lutra. I meant to pick the Taggerung.
It is not the best Redwall book of the series and Deyna is a bit annoying. However, it was my second Redwall book and the first I read that had the Abbey in it (the first book of the series I'd read was Lord Brocktree, which was captivating, but rather dark and sobering for an 11 year old kid). I didn't care much about the plot of woodlander raised by a vermin because I didn't understand the good species / evil species thing Redwall had going on and it was poorly handled anyway. But the story of a son finding his mother and sister again is always heartwarming and Redwall Abbey seemed like a delightful and romantic place to live when I read that second book so long ago.
Sad to say after many books, the series seemed to become repetitive. Mossflower was as beautiful a book as its name. Martin the Warrior was, like Lord Brocktree, captivating, but very dark and emotional; I never read it more than once. Still a great book. I liked Salamandastron for the conflict between a rebellious daughter and a father figure who died before she could understand what he wanted to teach her. Mattimeo was a great adventure; so was the Bellmaker, and i have to admit I especially loved the fact there was a good vermin - while that shouldn't be a plot twist that's used in every book, it's an occasional treat. Pearls of Lutra was a favorite, mostly because of getting to see day to day life for a main character who seemed to be a bit younger than the usual Redwall protagonist, but not a baby. I absolutely loved Marlfox.
Unfortunately I have to say all the rest of the ones I've read (and i haven't read them all yet) are merely entertaining because they're a continuation of the series. I didn't like Redwall, but it was Jacques' first work, so it wasn't perfect. I didn't care for Mariel of Redwall and didn't care for Mariel. I didn't like Long Patrol, and didn't like whatever book that was that had the hare who was aloof from other hares because he felt "different" from them and "didn't speak like the other hares did." Outcast of Redwall was entertaining but a bit stupid. I didn't like whatever Redwall book had the Diibbuns who were all kidnapped and then saved by an annoying shrewmaid. Triss and Holt Rhulain were just ok. Eulalia was laughable in its plot with the badgers and was only interesting because of the brief time that Orkwil was a flawed character in trouble before he made a 180 aboutface within moments and became a leader like most flawed Redwall protagonists do; Maudie was even more bland in that respect than Orkwil, just another gluttonous, feisty, bland haremaid like Dottie Duckworthy. I think Rakkety Tam was my least favorite; I hardly even remembered it existed.
I added Taggerung because it should have recieved Two Votes so it wasn't eliminated.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine