News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

World War 1 CYOA

Started by Hickory, October 24, 2016, 06:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

It's not an addiction! I can stop anytime!

So... I know that this is probably going into "TOO MANY CYOAs" territory, but we need some variation, right? Anyway, after playing Battlefield 1, I decided a sort of medium for the Cellars RP was needed. Not to old, but not in the far flung future. Enter World War 1. This will not be as often as the Star Wars one, probably being updated once or twice a week, to allow for multiple people to have time to think and vote. Also, this will be very realistic, so no Call of Duty antics this time around. Hopefully this gets a good amount of attention, besides James.

<O>

Spring, 1917. The fringes of the Argonne forest.

"Wilson! On your feet!"

You awaken to the smell of mud, gunpowder, and stale food. Lieutenant Thomas's angry face hovers over yours. The hole you're sleeping in is dug into the side of a trench wall, the "floor" covered with your overcoat. Something digs into your side when you move, and you pull your bolt-action rifle out from under you.

"The regiment is preparing for a charge," says Thomas. "Gather with the others by the infirmary."

Wiping dirt and grime from your eyes, you slide your bandolier over your shoulder and head for the infirmary. The war has been raging for 3 years now, and the new battleground in the Argonne forest marks yet another area devastated by the artillery shells and endless battles in no man's land. The allied forces are losing in many areas to the Central Powers, and you are part of hundreds of thousands of men deployed to perform a massive counteroffensive against the enemy.

Thomas moves to the front of your regiment as you join in the back ranks. Your buddy, George, shifts slightly so you can fall in. A few more soldiers are awoken and brought to the assembly before Thomas begins with his orders. "Our forward scouts have reported that the Germans are moving into the trees of the forest. Information from the Admiralty tells us that there's a crashed train in the forest, carrying valuable code books and equipment. If the enemy gets their hands on the train, we'll lose a valuable asset in the war. We're going into the forest to repel the Jerrys and try and secure the train. Ready?"

You join the regiment's cheer. The mass of men begins to move towards the front lines. You decide to check your equipment on the way.

Wilson's inventory

Bolded items are equipped.

1 SMLE MkIII bolt action rifle. (30 rounds)0
1 pair of field glasses. (allows you to spot targets at farther distances)
4 armor piercing rounds. Fires from your rifle.
1 trench knife
2 stick grenades
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.
[close]

Satisfied with what you have, you follow George into the forward trenches. The distant sound of artillery cannons firing now reaches your ears. You load 10 bullets into your rifle and switch off the safety. Luckily for the forest, little to no rounds have hit the trees, so it looks untouched next to the obliterated battlefield behind you. "Ready?" yells Thomas. "Charge!"

The entire regiment climbs over the trench walls. The ground thunders as other regiments run across the field into the forest. A bullet pings off a rock by your feet, and you start to zigzag to avoid enemy fire. Your fellow soldiers are cut down as the Germans spot the army enter the trees. You see a cloud of smoke raise above the German lines. They've already reached the train. George and you take cover behind a large boulder to decide a plan. "We need to take out the Jerrys on the machine guns," says George. "Any ideas?"

Use your field glasses to spot enemy machine gunners.
Shoot over the rock with your rifle, and hope your bullets hit something useful.
Try to get closer to the enemy lines.

Wilson's inventory

1 SMLE MkIII bolt action rifle. (30 rounds)
1 trench knife
2 stick grenades
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

Field glasses for the win. Running at machine gun nests you can't see doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Poll up.

I've changed my policy, once every two days should suffice, but often I will update it each day should I have the time. I'll give it a few more hours before updating.

EDIT: Feel free to discuss in the thread if you want.

Hickory

You unbuckle the leather case attached to your belt. The pair of binoculars inside have served you well on several different occasions. Now, you peer through them towards where the machine gun fire is coming from. With the aid of the glasses, you pick out the Germans on the guns. Two Madsen MGs, one of the heralds of a new age of automatic weapons. You duck back behind the boulder, and tell George everything you saw. The both of you contemplate your options.

The gunners are occupied firing on easier British targets, so there's a chance you could sneak up using natural cover in the forest. Or, you could use a similar tactic and circle around the side, which would have a greater success rate, but less chance of survival if spotted. George listens, then suggests his own tactic. "We could just stay behind this boulder and see if we can pick off the Jerrys from here."

Try to get closer from a frontal direction.
Try to get closer from the side.
Take potshots from behind your cover.

Wilson's inventory

1 trench knife
2 stick grenades
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.
[close]

Groddil

If they're close enough together, could we use a grenade once we got closer?

Hickory

LT Sandpaw

Flanking them would be a lot smarter, the German's are busy holding off a frontal attack. It'd be kinda dumb actually to go right at them. And taking potshots would give away our position.

I say go around from the side, maybe with a grenade at the ready. Make sure to stick by George and move up tactically, one person ready to provide covering fire if its needed at all times.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Oh forget it, I'm too into this stuff to wait a day or two. :-/

With your rifle ready, you creep around the other side of the boulder. Beyond the mossy rock lies a large amount of other stones to use as cover when advancing. You and George take turns covering each other as you advance on the Germans. Finally, you reach a steep ledge and behind to climb over, so you can get a good shot on the Germans.

After you crest the ledge, the German gunners are unaware of your presence. You ready a grenade to throw... but you could also save the grenades and take out the gunners with your rifle.

Use the grenade.
Use your rifle.

Wilson's inventory

1 trench knife
2 stick grenades
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.
[close]

Hickory

You pull out one of your stick grenades. The weapon is designed to be thrown, and the wooden handle is meant to be made as light as possible to facilitate it. The metal head is full of explosive, and you pull the pin before tossing the weapon into the midst of the gunners. Over the sound of the guns, they don't notice the grenade. You cover your ears quickly and crawl behind the ledge.

Boom!

The gun position has been eradicated. You join the rest of the British troops into the forest, towards the train. German forces put up similar resistance, but you take them down easily. A German soldier charges you, but gets stabbed in the back by George. "Let's go," he says. The battleground expands into the forest as the two opposing sides get used to the battlefield. Right now, you could do a few things.

Stay behind and pick off German stragglers with your rifle.
Continue towards the train.
See what you can see with the field glasses.

Wilson's inventory

1 trench knife
1 stick grenade.
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.

[close]

Hickory

Gonna give it a little over an hour before I post the next part.

Hickory

Ignoring other battles, you continue towards the train. The British are starting to win, barely. The passenger train comes into view - an ornate string of white and red carriages, lead by a red engine. You descend into the small dip that the destroyed bridge had crossed - it looks like the Germans blew up the bridge to get the train.

George jumps across the river to the side with the train. You follow him, and the sounds of other soldiers following you give you sufficient motivation to continue to head towards the train. George pulls open one of the doors on the end, and you enter. Inside, you can smell burnt wood, and a few bodies. It seems as though the Germans took most the passengers as prisoners.

Finally, you reach car 9, the one with the precious Allied cargo. The big doors are closed, keeping the windowless car in darkness. As your eyes adjust, you can pick out a few trunks, and weapon crates. A few other British soldiers enter the room, and you all make sure there aren't any traps or hiding enemy troops. "I suppose we can open some of these chests, and check them," you suggest. The nearest one is short and stout, and locked with a simple clasp. Inside are some weird, shiny parts that seem to match your rifle. You scoop them up, and they fit easily inside your bag.

Wilson got SMLE MkIII modifications.

Before you can start opening the other chests, the door slides open, revealing grey clothed German storm troopers. In the lead is someone who looks a lot like an officer, with a cloth cap instead of a helmet, and a pistol holstered on his leg. "Hands up!" he shouts in broken English. You and the other soldiers drop your rifles, and the Germans pick them up.

Wilson lost the SMLE MkIII.

"Don't resist, or the Kaiser's troops will show no mercy."

You and George exchange looks.

(No poll, post your response.)

Try to convince the officer to let you go unharmed.
Try to bargain with the officer.
Curse the officer.

Wilson's inventory

1 trench knife
1 stick grenades
1 pack of cigarettes.
1 flip lighter.
1 sandwich
1 canteen of water.
[close]

Groddil

Pull out your remaining grenade and say if he doesn't let you go, you'll blow him to bits, along with all the cargo and yourself. Then find a way to take them hostage. >:D

Ashleg

I'm a troublemaker...
Curse the officer.

Hickory

Quote from: Groddil on October 25, 2016, 09:31:47 PM
Pull out your remaining grenade and say if he doesn't let you go, you'll blow him to bits, along with all the cargo and yourself. Then find a way to take them hostage. >:D
You are surrounded by German troops, all ready to kill you should you try anything. A trigger is faster than a grenade.