News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Post-Apocalyptic CYOA

Started by Groddil, November 21, 2016, 03:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groddil

Yes, I know. There's too many of these. But hear me out. I wanna do what the title suggests. Rather than link it to any specific franchise, like the Fallout RP (Which kinda flopped), this one will be different! So, which one do you want? A CYOA or an RP?

RP Pros:
- Isn't tied to any specific franchises, so anyone can join. No knowledge of anything required.
- More options for RP-ing (duh), and versatility for backstories (unlike the Fallout RP).
- Players can make their own stories, so I don't have to do as much!

RP Cons:
- Players must all be active, otherwise the game dies.
- Harder to have a central story to link all the characters together.
- Easy for less active players to be left behind.

CYOA Pros:
- Isn't tied to any specific franchises, so anyone can view and participate. No knowledge of anything required.
- Can progress faster than an RP.
- Only a few readers (even just 1) are required to make decisions.
- Story won't fall off the rails, and no PP-ing.

CYOA Cons:
- Easy for less active readers to be left behind.
- I have to do everything, so if I'm inactive, the CYOA grinds to a halt for a bit.
- Probably less creative, as there's only 1 writer (me).
- Probably less fun, as the participation is quite minimal.

I'll put up a poll.

LT Sandpaw

Would it be like Fatch's Survive the Crimson Sunrise should it go the RP rout?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

Why not make it a sort of CYOA combo-forum game? Each person can choose what happens from the last post's two options, then write their own post, with options for how to progress the story at the end. As long as people don't try to vengefully wreck everything the moment it doesn't go how they like, or "KILLZ EVERY111!111!1" like they do in regular forum games, it could be successful.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on November 21, 2016, 04:09:40 AM

Would it be like Fatch's Survive the Crimson Sunrise should it go the RP rout?

Sort of, although it would be less of a 'game' than StCS.

Hickory

Quote from: James Gryphon on November 21, 2016, 04:10:06 AM
Why not make it a sort of CYOA combo-forum game? Each person can choose what happens from the last post's two options, then write their own post, with options for how to progress the story at the end. As long as people don't try to vengefully wreck everything the moment it doesn't go how they like, or "KILLZ EVERY111!111!1" like they do in regular forum games, it could be successful.
Wouldn't that cause a huge number of alternate timelines, and be very confusing for players?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

Groddil

A CYOA it is, then. James's idea sounds a bit confuzzling. Soz James. :p

Prologue: Washington, D.C. 3 years before the End...

"Eagle, this is Falcon, confirm acquisition."
"I read, Falcon, this is Eagle. Acquisition confirmed."
"Is everything in place?"
You stare down the scope of the rifle conveniently placed here for you. For this one purpose. You eye the bag in the corner.
"Affirmative."
"Roger that, Eagle. Overwatch, confirm acquisition."
"I read, Falcon, this is Overwatch. Acquisition confirmed."
"Roger that, Overwatch. Continue to monitor HVT."
"Affirmative, Falcon. Eagle, this is Overwatch. HVT is in position. Firing test round now."
Somewhere above you comes the whisper of a silenced rifle being fired.
"Eagle, Overwatch reports light winds and minimal obstructions between your position and the HVT. Adjust your aim up a bit to your left. Align your crosshairs with the poster. Put them right over the laser."
You stare through the scope at the many posters near the HVT. The bright red glow of a laser dot appears on one, then disappears almost immediately afterwards. You see where it was. You adjust your rifle so the scope is aligned for the conditions.
"Overwatch, this is Eagle. Crosshairs aligned, HVT has ceased movement."
"Eagle, this is Falcon. You are clear to fire when ready."
"Affirmative."

Take the shot.
Refrain from taking the shot.

"Eagle's" Inventory

Operator's Gear - A black jumpsuit and kevlar vest with several pouches for your ammo and weapons. Has holsters for 2 x Rifles, 2 x Pistols, and 1 x Melee Weapon. Comes with a harness should you need it.
Barrett M99 - An anti-material rifle conveniently set up ahead of time for you. Uses .50 cal rounds. Not loaded.
.50 cal Hollow Point Rounds- Does maximized damage to human targets. You have 1 spare round.
Beretta 92 - Your pistol. Current mods equipped: Suppressor, Extended Magazines, Laser Sight. Uses 9mm rounds. Loaded with 20 rounds.
9mm Rounds - Some fairly basic pistol ammunition. You have 40 spare rounds.
Combat Knife - A worst-case scenario back-up. Always good to have.
[close]

Hickory

We're in Washington, But we're killing someone. Must be the President... don't take the shot.

Eulaliaaa!

Take the shot. It's a bit of a stretch to jump to the conclusion that it's the president. It could be someone trying to hurt the president.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Groddil

You stare at the bullet in your hand. No... You can't do it.
"Overwatch, this is Eagle. I've got a problem with this rifle. It won't fire."
"Copy that, Eagle. Falcon, Overwatch is going to Plan B."
"Affirmative, Overwatch. You are clear to fire when ready."
Once again, you hear the quiet thump of the silenced rifle above you. A spurt of blood erupts below you as the HVT falls in a heap.
"Kill confirmed."
"Copy that, Overwatch, Falcon is advising that you get the hell out of there. Wolf-3, move in and secure the new HVT."
"Wolf-3-1 confirms, Falcon."
"Overwatch confirms orders, Falcon. Over and out."
You pick up the rifle and use the scope to check what's going on outside. Above you, the man you know as Overwatch has set up some sort of cable. Several Spec Ops troops, a bit like yourself, zipline down onto the building you share with the other sniper.
"Where's Eagle?"
"Two floors down. I don't have an exact location."
"Affirmative."
The other sniper quickly snaps himself to the zipline and ascends across to the other side. He quickly dislodges the cable, causing it to flop back, useless, to your building. You drop the rifle, as one bullet won't be of much use to you, and jog towards the doorway. You nudge it open, pistol in hand. From the staircase at the far end of the hallway, three of the Spec Ops guys emerge and start to fan out across the floor. Two disappear from your field of vision, but the last one is heading straight for you.

Shoot the hostile.
Use your knife.
Wait for the hostile to pass.

"Eagle's" Inventory

Operator's Gear - A black jumpsuit and kevlar vest with several pouches for your ammo and weapons. Has holsters for 2 x Rifles, 2 x Pistols, and 1 x Melee Weapon. Comes with a harness should you need it.
.50 cal Hollow Point Rounds- Does maximized damage to human targets. You have 1 spare round.
Beretta 92 - Your pistol. Current mods equipped: Suppressor, Extended Magazines, Laser Sight. Uses 9mm rounds. Loaded with 20 rounds.
9mm Rounds - Some fairly basic pistol ammunition. You have 40 spare rounds.
Combat Knife - A worst-case scenario back-up. Always good to have.
[close]

Hickory

Aren't they our teammates? Did we directly betray Overwatch by not firing?

Groddil

Quote from: Sagetip on November 24, 2016, 09:31:57 PM
Aren't they our teammates? Did we directly betray Overwatch by not firing?

Well, you ARE the fall guy, so...

Groddil

Ahem. Post. One more answer, and we can finally leave the prologue.

Hickory

Groddil

You stick close to the wall until the hostile passes you. You duck out through the door and into another side room. This one is largely empty, but happens to contain a door to the fire escape. You shut the door to the room and drag a nearby desk in front of it, then kick open your escape route. Pistol in hand, you dash down the fire escape as the building's alarm goes off, probably triggered when you opened the door. You leap from the bottom level and, pistol in hand, sprint down a nearby alley. As you go to round the corner, several soldiers surround you.
"HVT secured, Falcon."
An older man, sharply-dressed, emerges from behind the troops. One of the soldiers snatches your gun and kicks you to the floor.
"Well, well, well. Eagle. You were supposed to take the shot. Why didn't you?"
"..."
"You were supposed to kill the HVT and take the blame. We would've let you live if you'd followed the plan, given you a nice cushy cell in Camp Delta, down in Camp 7, down in Cuba. Nice sunny tourist destination to live out the rest of your days. But you had to go mess it up. If you'd just taken the shot, all the evidence would have just pointed to you. But you had to let Overwatch kill the HVT instead. All the ballistics evidence is going to be wrong now. It'll make it seem like one of the President's own guards took the shot. And that means we have to cover up evidence. I don't like covering up evidence. So instead, there's only one way to make sure you don't talk. Don't try and divert attention away from yourself. My, my, my. A Russian mercenary gunned down by the Secret Service, whose mission orders and fingerprints match exactly what was going on. The Vice President is going to like this, once they take over. You'll be just what they need."
"Go... to Hell."
"See you there."
He nods to one of the soldiers. A muzzle flashes, and everything fades to black.

End of Prologue

Many years after the end...

You are now a survivor, but who exactly depends on your location. Where are you from?

The west coast.
The east coast.
Australia.