News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

"You still want to see?" Maxy asked. "You might be disappointed. It's no dragon." He scrambled to his paws, motioning to Fastooth.
"You want to come?"

LT Sandpaw

Casting a sad glance down at the remains of his supper the big rat sighed, giving his overstuffed stomach a few gentle pats. "Alright, why not. Can't see wot's th' big deal 'bout a sword though. If'n it ain't made out o' a dragon's tooth."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"Do you two actually believe in dragons?" the squirrel mused. "The sword isn't just something of legend. The stories surrounding it are real...well, most of them, anyway." Here he shot Afagon a blue-eyed stare.

LT Sandpaw

"Yew ne'er know matey." Fastooth fell into step behind the young squirrel so he could lead on to whatever he was going to show them. "Dragons might very well be real, in fact I'd count on it right. I 'eard this one feller tell tale o' giant beasts that swim th' ocean, oo' 'ave tough noses longer than a ship's hull, an' oo' swim faster n' th' wind itself. They c'n destroy a big boat by jus' runnin' into it e' said, skewering it wit' them's nose. Called 'em stormfins, swore by all things holy an' hellgates that they was real. An' if'n something like tha's real then I reckon dragons wit' sword teeth ain't all that unbelievable neither."

Ashleg

"Wish I could see the ocean," Maxy said, waiting for Afagon and Oriff to catch up before turning round the corner. He scratched at his ear. "Have you ever been to it, Fastooth?"
And if you have, the squirrel thought, Is that why you're so scared of water?

The Skarzs

Afagon followed along silently, but Oriff spoke up cheerily. "A sea serpent! They must've been pulling your tail, Fastooth."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"Mayhap e' was playin' me a fool. I reckon tis possible, though I'm inclined to trust me ol' matey. Wasn't one ter lie, least ways not to me." Fastooth dug a claw in his ear thinking back to his younger days when he'd marched as a Lieutenant in Alfhild and Fardan's horde. He had purpose then, goals and ambitions, but now he was resigned to living as a mere robber in Mossflower. Or maybe he could start a new life here at Redwall, growing fat and lazy within the abbey walls, it would be a boring but safe life. Fastooth couldn't deny it was starting to grow on him. The food, and somebeast to talk to that wasn't one of his victims.

"Aye I've been to th' great seas once. Many long seasons ago. It ain't much to look at honestly, jus' a load o' water. Very loud n' smelly water too. Leagues n' leagues of it stretchin' out endless like. They says eventually if ye keep going straight ye'll end up back where ye started."

Ashleg

"My dad says if you keep going you'll fall straight off!" Maxy blurted, grinning sheepishly. "Your idea sounds much better."
He scampered forward and stopped in front of the tapestry, gazing up at the intricately woven and detailed image of Martin the Warrior and the fleeing vermin. Two torches were lit next to it, and on the ancient red wall hung the aforementioned sword.
He desperately wanted to reach up and touch it, but he restrained himself.
"This is Bracklew's," said the young squirrel, fighting with his words. "I'm not sure if he knows, but one day, I...I'd like it to be mine. Silly dream, isn't it."

The Skarzs

Oriff was about to take the sword himself when Afagon grabbed his paw and hauled him back. "Young fool, don't touch it! Maxy, I don't think that's silly. It's an incredible thing to strive for, but you might think about talking to Bracklew about it."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"What if he never wants to stop being the Abbey Warri-" the squirrel cut off his words and watched Oriff and Afagon fumble.
He narrowed his eyes.
"You thought you could steal it right in front of me?"

The Skarzs

"Who's stealing?" asked Oriff, offended. "Can't I just hold it? It ain't like it's locked up or anything. . ."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"It's an important relic!" Maxy hissed, trying to keep his voice low in case Duncan or somebeast heard him. "You don't just hold it without reason, the thing has seen more history than we ever will."
I want to touch it, too. I want to wield it...

LT Sandpaw

Fastooth's eyes dilated when he saw the sword and memories of the flashing blade cutting down his former allies flooded in like a tidal wave. "Ah," he muttered at last recognizing the name and reverence with which Maxy spoke. Fastooth of course saw the blade and tapestry it hung before in a radically different light. To say he was uncomfortable with the threading of fleeing and slaughtered vermin would've been an understatement.

"Tha's ah, a purty sword Maxy. Ye say Bracklew wields it?" Fastooth shifted on his footpaws, he was the one-pawed squirrel from earlier. The one Fardan had mutilated. "E' must be quite th' warrior ta lug it inter battle without a second paw. Always preferred th' spear meself. Better reach an' wot 'ave ye. Anyway I'm sure Bracky wouldn' mind if'n ye n' Oriff 'old it for a second. Its hangin' down 'ere for anybeast to grab after all. Wot harm could it do."

The Skarzs

"Besides severely injure or kill another creature because it was swung by somebeast who doesn't know how to use a weapon? Nothing." Afagon rolled his eyes. "Very well, your choice."
  "Maxy, I don't think Bracklew will be able to be warrior forever," Afagon continued. "In light of that, it would probably be good for him to teach his successor."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"He might not pick me if he sees me playing with it, though," Maxy observed, staring sideways at Oriff and scuffing his paws. "Especially not if you accidentally hack your nose off."
Nodding resolutely, the squirrel looked about to turn away, before catching Oriff's dejected frown and ever so slowly extending his paw back out toward the sword.
"But, I suppose...it couldn't do much harm if we just held it, right?"