News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Random Questionnaires!

Started by Amarith Waterspring, June 21, 2016, 09:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you like best?

Lord of the Rings
10 (43.5%)
Harry Potter
6 (26.1%)
Narnia
2 (8.7%)
Other
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Amarith Waterspring

Oh yeah :P Did it. Thanks, I totally forgot about that.
Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

Rosie Willowwater

Books! :) Though it still was a hard decision

Delthion

Books, very easy simply because the movies manipulate the plot too much.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Books. It's absolutely no contest. Movies just aren't long enough.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rosie Willowwater

Well, I dont like movies based off of books, but movies with their own unique plot line is good

Delthion

Part of the the poll is that it is the same story.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Books books books books.
Books books bookety book.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Usually the book, so I'm going with that.

But for the Secret of NIMH, I did like the movie more. :3

The Skarzs

You WHAT?!
I liked the book a lot better. It closed off so many loose ends that the movie left open, it didn't have anything super dramatic like some random magic stone or plots for death, the characters were so much more realistic. . . Heck, everything was more realistic.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I've never seen The Secret of Nimh (ugh, why did they feel the need to change the title?) and I don't really intend to. The book was firmly grounded in science and magic just doesn't fit into that world. Also I really hate the fact that they changed Mrs. Frisby's name; what was the point?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rusvul

See, I used to be very much a book person. I'd read constantly. But I've become less and less like that over the years, and as of now, there's a lot of things I'd rather do than sit down and read a book. Of course, I still enjoy books- especially while traveling- but as of now, I watch more movies than I read books. They take less time.

Cornflower MM

I. . . . Can't answer the question.

Take Princess Bride. I, without question, prefer the movie to the book in that case. I like the book too of course, but Buttercup spoiled it for me. So whiny. Also, who gets 'syllabub' and 'syllable' mixed up?

But, say, PJO? HAHAHAHA BOOKS.

You see my dilemma?

And, strange as it may sound, I appreciate movies based off books in their own way. . . . I mean, if they followed the vbook exactly, that could be very boring. You already know exactly what's gonna happen. . . . *Shrugs*

Like I said, I can't pick.

Banya

Books. If I hear of an appealing movie based off of a book, I like to watch the movie first and then read the book; that way I'm never disappointed. This was the case with both Twelve Years a Slave and I am Number Four, for example. However, it usually happens that I discover and enjoy a book before it's adapted into film.

Wylder Treejumper

Books! For the simple reason that it's hard to accurately translate characters and plot from one format to another, movies based on books tend to be disappointing. Movies created with the sole intent to be movies are usually far superior; directors and screenwriters are able to use the most effective techniques, instead of trying to twist a book into a good movie.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

*Looks at the poll results.*
We're a bunch of nerds. xD

Movies that are made to be movies, yes, I agree are often better than ones based on books. There are a lot of movies I like, but there is also something so satisfying about reading a book. It may have to deal with the senses that are used for either ones. With movies, you tend to be fed information, most of it using sight and hearing. With books, you use your imagination, and you almost create the world you are reading in your mind using the descriptions.

I suppose they both have their place in the entertainment world.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.