News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

For Talkin' About Books

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, October 18, 2016, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Overlooked this thread for a while. To answer Jet's question, I didn't like it because the book had the small town feel of a place where most people are content to live quiet lives and nothing extraordinary happens. Ponyboy and his friends didn't even break out of that mold, because they each filled a role that small-town boys from the wrong side of the tracks are expected to fill. The story and characters were overall uninteresting.

Hickory

UUGHUHHHHHHH i finished Call of the Wild for English, but Walden is the stupidest book ever. I couldn't care less about anything in it. And, as i've said in other threads, i have an essay on it due Monday. JrjdjdhehehhjfjfjjfjEUEHNDJDJCHC
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

Starting The Gallic War tonight. It's going to be great.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Banya

I've been reading the Durarara!! light novels as they're released in English (preferring the official translations and supporting the author). They're so exciting; I wish many more people read them. They include a huge, interesting, and diverse cast of characters somehow tied to the city's underbelly who each get their time to shine as they react to an incident, their reactions setting off further consequences for other characters as their lives intersect. The storyline, characters, use of the setting, name dropping, all of it is so well done.

alexandre

Quote from: Banya on October 27, 2016, 04:00:01 AM
Overlooked this thread for a while. To answer Jet's question, I didn't like it because the book had the small town feel of a place where most people are content to live quiet lives and nothing extraordinary happens. Ponyboy and his friends didn't even break out of that mold, because they each filled a role that small-town boys from the wrong side of the tracks are expected to fill. The story and characters were overall uninteresting.

Well, The point of the book is kind of to illustrate and sympathize with the lives of people like Pony, not for something extraordinary to happen. Though English class would have been much more fun if we had all read Mossflower...
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Aimless Gallivanter

Quote from: Banya on October 29, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
I've been reading the Durarara!! light novels as they're released in English (preferring the official translations and supporting the author). They're so exciting; I wish many more people read them. They include a huge, interesting, and diverse cast of characters somehow tied to the city's underbelly who each get their time to shine as they react to an incident, their reactions setting off further consequences for other characters as their lives intersect. The storyline, characters, use of the setting, name dropping, all of it is so well done.
there's light novels too?? sweet!!
i still haven't finished x2 .-.
i was about to ask if you've watched or read the author's other work, Baccano! , but i remembered we had a huge conversation about it a while ago : )
im gay!!!!!!

Ashleg

I'm reading Mistmantle right now.
It's like Redwall in its prime except with much quicker pacing and more character development.
Would definitely recommend...

Jetthebinturong

Having finished Crooked Kingdom (the sequel to Six of Crows), I kinda feel a little bit sorry for Pekka Rollins. I mean, I know he's a despicable monster but still
Crooked Kingdom spoilers

Inej visiting him in the middle of the night, cutting him with a knife and threatening to kill his baby son if he ever came back to Ketterdam was a bit much. The man was living a peaceful life in the country, he was already broken.

Also like, my heart broke for Wylan all over again in this book and then it reformed and became a pride-fuelled sun. He's indisputably my favourite character now, though there wasn't much competition before. But when he found out his mum wasn't actually dead and that Van Eck had had her sectioned I mean come on. And when Jesper kisses Kuwei because he's pretending to be Wylan. Ugh. I lost a little respect for Kuwei after that. But then when he gets his face restored and then that ending! That's how you knock your jerk of a father off that pedestal. Taking that beating and feeding him that false info was just perfect and then when he pretends he can read the contract because Jesper read it earlier.

"I can read for him."
"He has a lovely baritone."

"How about you come visit me in Ravka and we can learn about our powers together."
"How about I push you in the river and see if you can swim or not?"
"I hear he's one of the most powerful men in Ketterdam, I wouldn't cross him if I were you."

BABIES.
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jetthebinturong

Half Bad by Sally Green is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Horrific, depressing, cringe-inducing and difficult to read, but so, so amazing.

Lady Ashenwyte

I read Guards, Guards! by Sir Terry Pratchett recently and it is amazing.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

alexandre

I just finished "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", its really good. Also kinda sad. Has anybody else here read it?
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

I've heard of it but never read it, what's it about? :P

Eulaliaaa!

I think I said this on the old forum, but the Mistmantle Chronicles is a good series. It's like Redwall, but not quite as good.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

Half Bad is going to break me.

When Nathan asks Annalise how many Half Codes there are and then she tells him the next day, just *ugly sobbing*

Feles

Quote from: Jet the binturong on January 08, 2017, 08:41:46 PM
Half Bad is going to break me.

When Nathan asks Annalise how many Half Codes there are and then she tells him the next day, just *ugly sobbing*
* Inquisitor Laughs evilly because hes read that book and the second one.
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!