News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Fishing

Started by rrrrr, May 13, 2015, 03:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrrrr

In High Rhulain, Skipper Banjon goes fishing for food for the hawk. However, he does it in a boat...but he's an otter, he can just swim down and grab the fish.

What do you think?
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, I guess he has preferences. I mean, I can drink milk from the jug, but pouring it out is more civilized and better for others drinking the milk.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Banya

This is such a simplified answer, but 1.) sometimes I just don't feel like getting wet, 2.) avid fishermen (and fisherbeasts) fish for recreation - it's the joy of the wait and the satisfaction of the catch, and 3.) as Gonff said, it's a way to display civilized behaviour.  If he wanted to, he could have used a javelin and speared the fish, but his choice to use line and hook is deliberate.

The Skarzs

I imagine fishing with a line to be an older creature style of fishing, calm and relaxing, whereas diving and spearing would be for younger otters. Heh, it would be cool if they had tournaments like that.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

The cogs of fanfiction are turning...
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

rrrrr

Yeah that's true.  :D :D :D
rrrrr.....

The Skarzs

Since this topic has to do with fish, why aren't fish really sentient in the books? Of course, that was Mr. Jacques's decision, but lizards and birds are known to have talked; what's with fish?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 12, 2015, 05:04:08 PM
Since this topic has to do with fish, why aren't fish really sentient in the books? Of course, that was Mr. Jacques's decision, but lizards and birds are known to have talked; what's with fish?

A lot of the birds (such as wood pigeons) aren't sentient in the books; I imagine it's much the same way with fish. Also, don't you think having sentient fish would result in a bit of an... awkward situation for otters, who eat fish?

rrrrr

As in Rakkety Tam where the hares get eaten.
rrrrr.....

Hickory

... That's just because Gulo and his army were savages and cannibals.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Faiyloe

Also Spearing and catching with your paws would damage the fish more than just hooking it. If you want the thing to look nice.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Izeroth

Quote from: Faiyloe on June 17, 2015, 04:02:42 AM
Also Spearing and catching with your paws would damage the fish more than just hooking it. If you want the thing to look nice.

Since when did otters ever care about how their food looked?

Banya

Depending on the size of the fish, spearing might damage much of the meat of the fish. 

Side-note: this otter likes it when her food looks nice. ;)