News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Book Reviews/Recommendations

Started by Sebias of Redwall, September 11, 2020, 03:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

Hello, folks! So this is a random idea that I had... *Checks watch* ...Like an hour ago, and I'm rather interested to see how it goes.

This thread is for book reviews and recommendations. I was originally going to make this just for Fantasy series/books, but I think books in general will work just fine.

Also, just to note, my reviews will be totally subjective and are going to be heavily effected by my personal opinion /taste/preference about books. Which I think is fine. I encourage you all to do the same with your reviews/recommendations. :)

So, I'll kick off with a couple reviews/recommendations of my own! Yay!

Eye of the World: Wheel of Time Series, by Robert Jordan
Book cover
[close]
~I've heard a lot about this series and so I decided to check it out. It's pretty good so far. Honestly, I'll be fairly vague with my review of this one because... I'm still only half-way through it, lol. The world building is amazing, as are most of the descriptions (And this is coming from a guy who normally hated descriptions :P). The characters are pretty solid and I enjoy reading them.

The False Prince: The Ascendance Trilogy, by Jennifer Nielsen
Book cover
[close]
~Mwhahahahahaha. So I just finished reading the first book in this series, and I must say that I've fallen in love with it. Jennifer Nielsen has made such fascinating and well-crafted characters in my opinion. She's surprised me more than once and I'm eager to start the sequel. I highly recommend the series.

Those are mine for now. I'm excited to hear your guys' thoughts - along with your own reviews and recommendations! :D It doesn't have to be anything too fancy or in-depth. Just feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Definitely everybeazt needz tae read Dune by Frank Herbert, ze firzt book in 'iz Dune zeriez o' bookz. Tiz a Zcience-Fiction book, und 'az a lot o' major zcenez, characterz, environmentz, und etc. Zere are crovdz o' deep ideaz und queztionz, und it includez giant Zand Vormz in it, und juzt generally iz a major book av around tae read. Ah completely reccomend ziz book fer av- ye villnae regret readin' ziz. Nae a page or even vord o' it.
Cover
[close]
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Sebias of Redwall

Ooh, I've recently heard about that one! I think they're coming out with a movie for it, aye?

The Green Ember, by S.D. Smith.
Spoiler
[close]
~If you like Redwall and The Hobbit, you should maybe consider checking this series out. It's not quite as great as Redwall in my opinion, but it is pretty good.

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jarky Thistlebrush

I've read all of these but that one, Seb...

Also, Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb.
Spoiler
[close]
I think this book series is just amazing. The characters are so real! They're very, very compelling and great and awesome characters. But be warned - these books are very sad and have made me cry more than once. Oh, and some bits are a little, er, inappropriate.
But all in all, this is one of my favourite series of all time and I highly recommend it.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Keva Strongbow

Before We Were Yours By Lisa Wingate

I personally thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! It is written in the first person and the author did an amazing job making you feel for the characters. I also found it very suspenseful and entertaining. I certainly didn't want to put the book down until it was finished. XD It is a more pg13 book, in my opinion. I enjoyed it immensely! Probably a 8/9 out of 10 for me!
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion of it."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on September 11, 2020, 07:12:41 PM
Ooh, I've recently heard about that one! I think they're coming out with a movie for it, aye?

Zey made a movie aboot it, but ziz ztory iz BEZT az a book, vhere yer imagination can create everyzin' ye're readin'. Zerefore ne'er E'ER vatch a film verzion o' ziz!!!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

clunylooney

I'd recommend Animal Farm by George Orwell.
It's a true classic and masterpiece, it is an allegory for the Russian revolution.
It follows animals who rebel against their cruel farmer and take over the farm and name it Animal Farm.
But some animals take advantage of other animals, and things begin to turn to the corrupt side.
It is quite a bit depressing, but it has great characters, a great plot, some of my favorite moments in book history (both good and terrible) and it is currently my favorite all-time book.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Interesting. I've heard of that one before. I might have to check it out.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

TheRedSnifit

My favorite recent book has been Swift to Chase by Laird Barron. It's a collection of somewhat-interlinking cosmic horror stories set in Alaska. It starts out normal enough (the first story is about a werewolf) but it absolutely goes off the rails soon enough and becomes utterly surreal, incomprehensible, and horrifying. It's the only book to actually give me nightmares. It's definitely for older readers though. Without going into detail it's a very hard R, and not just because it's scary. 

For something more normal, I've also gotten into mystery books. And Then There Was One by Agatha Christie is a classic. I've also read the first Nero Wolfe book which was good fun, the chemistry between the characters is great.

Jetthebinturong

I do loads of reviews on goodreads, so I'm just gonna link all of those.
reviews

(They start off more informal, but get more in depth pretty quickly. I'd say the format of the first... two? Is not representative of my general reviewing style.)
A note on terminology:
A review is a full review, they generally include a synopsis, other than the first two.
Review notes are notes I want to turn into reviews. They do not include a synopsis
Initial reactions are, as the name implies, my immediate thoughts upon finishing the book. They are not as polished or in depth as the other styles are.
City of Strife by Claudie Arseneault review [Adult high fantasy]
Something Like Summer by Jay Bell review [YA/New adult contemporary romance]
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling review [Adult high fantasy]
Black Wings Beating by Alex London review [YA high fantasy] (Review contains swearing for the purposes of illustrating a point.)
Fence Vol. 1 by C. S. Pacat, Johanna the Mad and Joana LaFuente review [YA contemporary/sport fiction graphic novel]
Saga Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples review [Adult sci-fantasy space opera graphic novel] (Review contains minor swearing)
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch review [Adult urban fantasy]
Doctor Who: The Eye of the Giant by Christopher Bulis review [Adult sci-fi/sci-fantasy]
Doctor Who: The Scales of Injustice by Gary Russell review [Adult sci-fi/sci-fantasy]
Doctor Who: The Devil Goblins from Neptune by Keith Topping and Martin Day review [Adult sci-fi/sci-fantasy]
Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass to Americans) by Philip Pullman review [Middle grade AU fantasy]
Runebinder by Alex R. Kahler review notes [YA post-apocalyptic urban fantasy]
Saga Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples review notes [Adult sci-fantasy space opera graphic novel]
Saga Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples review notes [Adult sci-fantasy space opera graphic novel]
Doctor Who: Deadly Reunion by Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts review notes [Adult sci-fi/sci-fantasy]
Warchild by Karin Lowachee review notes [Adult sci-fi space opera]
Doctor Who: Harvest of Time by Alastair Reynolds review notes [Adult sci-fi/sci-fantasy]
Tapestry by Hallie Burton review notes [YA high fantasy dystopia]
Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz review [YA urban fantasy/magical realism] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
The Shadowhunter's Codex by Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis review notes [World guide to a YA urban fantasy]
Saga Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples review notes [Adult sci-fantasy space opera graphic novel]
Saga Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples review notes [Adult sci-fantasy space opera graphic novel]
At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson review notes [YA contemporary/sci-fi]
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz review notes [YA historical fiction]
Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston review notes [Adult contemporary romance] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel Vol. 1 by Cassandra Clare and Cassandra Jean review [YA urban fantasy graphic novel]
The Last Sun by K. D. Edwards review notes [Adult urban fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey review notes [Adult high fantasy]
City of Betrayal by Claudie Arseneault review notes [Adult high fantasy]
Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling review notes [Adult high fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey review notes [Adult high fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey review notes [Adult high fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb review notes [Adult high fantasy]
The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon review notes [Adult high fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R. R. Martin review notes
The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman review notes [Middle grade AU fantasy]
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer review [Middle grade urban fantasy/sci-fantasy]
Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray initial reaction [YA historical urban fantasy/supernatural horror]
Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray initial reaction [YA historical urban fantasy/supernatural horror]
The King of Crows by Libba Bray initial reaction [YA historical urban fantasy/supernatural horror]
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire review [YA urban/portal fantasy]
Shadowhunters and Downworlders by Cassandra Clare et al. review [YA essay collection]
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl review [YA urban fantasy/paranormal romance]
The Hanged Man by K. D. Edwards review notes [Adult urban fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
The Sunken Mall by K. D. Edwards review notes [Adult urban fantasy] (Review contains reference to topics that are not appropriate for children)
Rock and Riot by Chelsey Furedi review [YA historical romance webcomic]
The Fascinators by Andrew Eliopulos review notes [YA urban fantasy]
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury mini review [Adult sci-fi]
The Tarot Sequence: Scenes from Quarantine initial reaction [Adult urban fantasy] (Review contains swearing)
Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas review notes [YA urban fantasy]
[close]
Recommendations

In the warnings section, I'm going to include the phrase "BAD STUFF" for works that include a specific type of violence. I'm going to assume that everyone who is old enough will know what I mean when I say that. If you are very young, do not read works recommended which have BAD STUFF in them.

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

-Middle grade urban fantasy
-About a twelve year-old girl who becomes the apprentice of a magical detective who just so happens to be a reanimated skeleton.
-Currently 14 books + short story collection. Will be two more books, and possibly extras.
-TW: Graphic violence, torture, gore, body horror, human experimentation, PTSD, self-loathing, drug use, self-medication
-My favourite series of all time
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6622569-skulduggery-pleasant
[close]

Wonders of the Invisible World by Christopher Barzak

-YA urban fantasy
-About a boy who needs to recover lost memories and uncovers hidden family history
-Themes of death, destiny and making your own fate
-My favourite book of all time
-TW: Death, minor homophobia
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19370974-wonders-of-the-invisible-world
[close]

The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud

-YA urban fantasy
-Set in a world where magicians enslave spirits to do their bidding. Follows a spirit who is summoned by a young boy to steal a magical amulet.
-Themes of slavery, classism and corruption of power
-Three books + prequel
-First book: The Amulet of Samarkand
-TW: Classist violence, minor body horror
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59267.The_Amulet_of_Samarkand
[close]

Timekeeper by Tara Sim

-YA alternate universe steampunk historical fantasy romance
-Set in a world where time is controlled by magic clock towers. Follows a relationship between a clock mechanic and a time spirit. Also terrorists are bombing clock towers and stopping time.
-First book is super fluffy and cute. Other books are really dark.
-Three books.
-TW: PTSD, torture, some graphic violence
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25760792-timekeeper
[close]

The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

-YA urban fantasy
-Follows a group of friends searching for the tomb of a sleeping Welsh king (Owain Glendower). Involves psychics, leylines, and forest magic.
SUPER misleading synopsis - more about friendship than romance
-Four books + sequel trilogy w/ bridge novella between them
-First book: The Raven Boys
-TW: Racism, possible BAD STUFF? There's like a black market where loads of disturbing stuff happens
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17675462-the-raven-boys
[close]

The Diviners by Libba Bray

-YA historical fantasy/supernatural horror
-Set in prohibition era New York. Follows a girl called Evie O'Neill who has a power that may be the key to stopping a ghostly serial killer.
-Themes of government corruption, eugenics, race relations, human trafficking, exploitation, etc.
-TW: BAD STUFF, human trafficking, BAD STUFF INVOLVING CHILDREN, child death, torture, depression, classist, racist and homophobic violence, domestic abuse, mutilation, gore, animal death, medical malpractice, alcoholism
-Like... superior to most anything else I've ever read. Prose, themes and characterisation are next level
-Four books. There may be a sequel series in future
-Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7728889-the-diviners
[close]

We are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson

-YA contemporary-ish sci-fi
-About a boy with a really bad stuff life who has severe depression, and is regularly abducted by aliens. The aliens tell him the world will end unless he stops it. But he's not sure the world's worth saving. He has 144 days to decide
-TW: Depression, suicide, suicidal ideation, child abuse, BAD STUFF, referenced domestic abuse
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23677341-we-are-the-ants
[close]

City of Spires by Claudie Arseneault

-Adult high fantasy
-An idealistic lord attempts to drive agents of a tyrannical empire out of his city. Meanwhile a lord from ages past returns to the city after a century of being trapped in a place where time doesn't flow. He takes shelter in the slums
-Themes of race, class, gender and sexuality are masterfully worked into the plot
-One of the best found families I've ever read about
-Full LGBTQ+ (and I mean +) cast
-TW: Torture, slavery, child abuse, racism, homophobia, classism, classist violence, racist violence
-Currently two books, will be more
-First book: City of Strife
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34330728-city-of-strife
[close]

The Tarot Sequence by K. D. Edwards

-Adult urban fantasy
-Set in New Atlantis, a city ruled by atlanteans called Arcana, creatures of immense magical ability. Follows an Arcana heir who is the last remaining member of his court, who has to investigate the disappearance of another Arcana heir
-Another one of the best found families ever
-First book lacks 3D female characters, but author realised this and fixed it in book two
-TW: BAD STUFF, BAD STUFF INVOLVING CHILDREN, some gore, whipping, drug use, forced drug use, drug addiction, VILLAIN WHO DOES BAD STUFF TO CHILDREN, BAD STUFF FACILITIES, violence towards children, referenced cannibalism, referenced torture, mind control
-Currently two books, a novella + oneshots. Will be nine main books w/ possible spin-offs
-First book: The Last Sun
-The author has dmed me!!!
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36466732-the-last-sun
[close]

Warchild by Karin Lowachee

-Adult space opera
-Set in a galaxy where humanity is at war with an alien race called the strits. There are merchants stuck in the middle and pirates exploit the war for their own ends. Jos is the son of merchants whose entire crew gets slaughtered by pirates and their children are sold into slavery. The pirate captain decides to keep Jos for himself.
-Mostly about recovering from abuse
-Two more books set in this world. Each follows different characters and I haven't read them
-TW: Implied BAD STUFF INVOLVING CHILDREN, referenced BAD STUFF INVOLVING CHILDREN, referenced BAD STUFF AS A SLAVE, some gore, some graphic violence, torture, possible on-page BAD STUFF (very unclear)
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/184786.Warchild
[close]

Simon VS. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

-I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain what this is about.
-TW: Homophobia, outing
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19547856-simon-vs-the-homo-sapiens-agenda
[close]

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

-YA high fantasy
-About six dangerous criminals performing a heist on the world's most impenetrable fortress
-Not a proper heist novel - mostly a character examination
-Part of the Grishaverse - may be worth reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy first, but not strictly necessary
-Currently two books but might have a third in future
-TW: Drug use, forced drug use, child death, child abuse, BAD STUFF INVOLVING CHILDREN, BAD STUFF AS A SLAVE
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23437156-six-of-crows
[close]

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

-Adult historical/mythic fantasy
-A retelling of the myth of the Iliad told from the point of view of Patroclus, focusing on the romance between him and Achilles
-TW: Homophobia, referenced BAD STUFF, attempted BAD STUFF
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36174638-the-song-of-achilles
[close]

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

-Adult urban/portal fantasy
-Follows a student who finds a story from his own childhood in a strange book in his university library and tries to solve the mystery of what it means
-ANCIENT UNDERGROUND LIBRARIES
-Metacommentary on the nature of stories and storytelling
-TW: Mutilation
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45998898-the-starless-sea
[close]

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

-YA urban fantasy/magical realism/fabulism
-Follows a boy called Rudy whose younger brother has cystic fibrosis, so their family moves to a remote island which supposedly holds a miracle cure - silver Enki fish - eating them is supposed to help with sickness, and increases the lifespan dramatically. On the island Rudy encounters a fish-boy.
-Genuinely the most disturbing book I've ever read
-TW: BAD STUFF (off-page, but no less disturbing), torture, some gore, mutilation
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12024430-teeth
[close]

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

-YA urban fantasy romance
-About the worst chosen one ever, who has to defeat a great evil, and his possibly-a-vampire roommate trying to solve the mystery of the ghost that appears in their room
-DON'T READ THE SECOND BOOK, IT'S AWFUL. The first book was originally a standalone and works perfectly as one.
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32768522-carry-on
[close]

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

-YA contemporary
-Follows a pair of twins, Noah before, and Jude after their mother died. In the past they were inseparable. In the present, they are practically estranged. This book explores why
-A brilliant exploration of grief
-TW: Death, grief, vague, non-specific mental illness, minor homophobia
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20820994-i-ll-give-you-the-sun
[close]

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

-YA historical fiction
-Set in the 80s. Follows a boy called Aristotle who has no friends and then befriends someone called Dante. Also his dad was in the Vietnam war and they never talk about it. And his parents also never talk about his brother, who is in jail. That's it. That's the plot.
-Will eventually have a sequel
-TW: Minor animal abuse, drug use, homophobic violence
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12000020-aristotle-and-dante-discover-the-secrets-of-the-universe
[close]

Shades of Magic by V. E. Schwab

-Adult high fantasy
-Set across four parallel versions of London. Follows a man who smuggles artefacts between the worlds
-Three books + prequel comics. Will eventually have a sequel series
-First book: A Darker Shade of Magic
-I'm in love with the main protagonist
-TW: Slavery, some graphic violence, child abuse, some homophobia, sort of self harm, depression
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22055262-a-darker-shade-of-magic
[close]

Half Bad by Sally Green

-YA urban fantasy
-Set in a world with black witches and white witches - England is ruled by white witches who hate and persecute the black witches. Follows a boy who is a half-code: half-black witch, half-white witch growing up as more and more sanctions are placed on half-codes by the white witch council
-Very dark and brutal
-Three books
-Second book drags imo
-TW: Graphic violence, child abuse, torture, racist violence, cannibalism
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18621194-half-bad
[close]

History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

-YA contemporary
-Follows a boy whose ex-boyfriend, who he was still in love with, drowns. The only one who can understand how the protagonist feels is his ex's last boyfriend before he died. They start to develop an uneasy friendship
-Protagonist has OCD
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25014114-history-is-all-you-left-me
[close]

The Rules by F. T. Lukens

-YA urban fantasy romance
-Follows a boy who accidentally becomes the apprentice of a wizard who mediates between the magical and non-magical worlds, whilst also dealing with a crush on his hot football player neighbour
-Two books
-First book: The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic
-Very cute and funny, but also nails the emotional beats when it needs to
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34736638-the-rules-and-regulations-for-mediating-myths-magic
[close]

The Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones

-High fantasy (no specific age range comes to mind)
-Set in a world which is held hostage by a businessman, whose inhabitants must perform roles to give tourists from our world a fantasy adventure. The dark lord this year is played by the bumbling, kind wizard, Derk
-Excellent satire (the sequel is too, but I don't recommend it as much) on capitalism and exploitation
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47587.Dark_Lord_of_Derkholm
[close]

Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey

-Adult high fantasy
-About the son of a lord who is very flamboyant and feminine, who gets kicked out of his house by his father, and sent to stay with his aunt, a severe person who his father hopes will be able to straighten him out
-Don't read the official synopsis, it's full of spoilers
-Mostly a story about the protagonist's journey of self-acceptance
-The sequels are good, but the final book is incredibly disappointing, and this book works perfectly on its own
-TW: suicide, suicide attempts, suicidal ideation
-Other two books have even more potential triggers
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28759.Magic_s_Pawn
[close]

Release by Patrick Ness

-YA contemporary/fantasy
-About the closeted gay son of a pastor going through a terrible day. Meanwhile the ghost of a murdered girl rises from the lake her body was found in
-The two stories basically have nothing to do with each other, and imo the ghost story is really uninteresting and pretty much irrelevant. The contemporary story is incredible though
-TW: Homophobia, drug use, some gore, BAD STUFF HARRASSMENT, possible BAD STUFF? (I don't remember)
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31194576-release
[close]

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

-Adult contemporary romance
-The son of the US president falls in love with the Prince of Wales.
-Very cute, compelling romance, but also has a great political plotline
-TW: Homophobia, invasion of privacy, public outing, referenced BAD STUFF
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41150487-red-white-royal-blue
[close]

Death or Ice Cream? by Gareth P. Jones

-Middle grade urban fantasy/surrealist horror
-A collection of short stories that examines the mysterious happenings in the town of Larkin Mills
-Actually a philosophical and theological discussion about religion, human nature and the existence of god
-TW: Child death, other disturbing things happening to children
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27204179-death-or-ice-cream
[close]

Proxy by Alex London

-YA dystopian sci-fi
-Set in a world with proxies - people who are punished for the crimes of a rich patron. Follows a proxy who has one year left of proxying. Then his patron accidentally kills someone, and he gets sentenced to 14 years in a labour camp
-First book critiques corporatism, capitalism and consumerism, second book goes in the opposite direction and critiques communism and asceticism
-Two books + epilogue short story
-TW: Torture, slavery, moderate homophobia
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16101023-proxy
[close]

The House of Mountfathom by Nigel McDowell

-YA historical fantasy
-Set during the Irish revolution, follows the son of the most powerful wizards in Ireland, as he grows up in a world where magic is becoming less and less important.
-Ambiguous, fairly disappointing ending
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33782743-the-house-of-mountfathom
[close]

Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas

-YA urban fantasy
-About a community of Brujx who can commune with the dead. Brujos and Brujas do different magic. Trans protagonist wants to prove he's a Brujo to his family by summoning the ghost of his cousin after his mysterious death. Instead he accidentally summons the ghost of the high school bad boy
-Strong themes of found family and acceptance
-Latinx culture is extremely prevalent and you can feel the author's love for it
-Plot is slightly predictable
-TW: Transphobia, deadnaming (deadname is not told to the reader), referenced child physical abuse, referenced gang violence, police racism, referenced deportation
-Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52339313-cemetery-boys
[close]
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan