News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Discussion

Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfire

I think that the second book, "The Angels Command" would be a good one to learn about the sea, because it mostly takes place on a ship. The first and third books do take place mostly on land, but the second one doesn't.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

daskar666

Did anyone else notice that Al Misurata implies that he is an atheist/agnostic but refers to Ben as an infidel?

Captain Tammo

Infidel: A person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own.

Atheism is still a religion, so it makes sense
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

daskar666

Atheism is not a religion, it's lack of a religion.
Let's not start that debate.

Captain Tammo

Aggghhhh!.... So... Tempted... Must... Debate!.....
Buuuut out of respect,
Then I'm not sure why he said it. Wasn't he Arabian? Most Muslims are Arab so it'd make sense as to why he said it. Or maybe it was just a word he heard a lot
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

daskar666

I HIGHLY doubt that he just uses words because he hears them, he seems intelligent enough not to do that.
On another note it appears that the series has traces of Redwall in it. For example, after Eli (SPOILER) kills Padre Maltanese, he says that he didn't want to kill a CREATURE, yet he isn't vegetarian.

Captain Tammo

Icefire

Quote from: Lutra on August 02, 2011, 01:45:29 PM
Ben reminds me a lot of Matthias, and Ned like Cornflower just based on how they act.
I don't think I'd have ever compared Ned and Cornflower...but that's just me!

I was about ready to cry at the end of the 3rd book! (but I didn't...to hard hearted or something) I wish (and I may get in trouble for this) that BJ hadn't written as many Redwall books and wrote more of these instead. *ducks all knives, arrows, and rotten tomatoes aimed her way* OK I loved all the Redwall books (except Doomwyte), but 22 is kind of overkill.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Icefire on August 21, 2011, 04:37:27 AM
Ben reminds me a lot of Matthias, and Ned like Cornflower just based on how they act.

I was about ready to cry at the end of the 3rd book! (but I didn't...to hard hearted or something) I wish (and I may get in trouble for this) that BJ hadn't written as many Redwall books and wrote more of these instead. *ducks all knives, arrows, and rotten tomatoes aimed her way* OK I loved all the Redwall books (except Doomwyte), but 22 is kind of overkill.

I agree. But I wouldn't want the castaways series to be overkilled either. I just wish Brian made things in less of a pattern in the later redwall series

Icefire

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 21, 2011, 03:23:08 PM
Quote from: Icefire on August 21, 2011, 04:37:27 AM

I agree. But I wouldn't want the castaways series to be overkilled either. I just wish Brian made things in less of a pattern in the later redwall series
True, I wouldn't want castaways to be overkill also, but I think one more book would have been nice. The third book kind of leaves you hanging.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Captain Tammo

Well to an extent yes. After the third story, that's when Ben and Ned go to Chapelvale. So technically, the sequence if events is:

Book 1: The ship
Book 1: The Shepard
All of book 2
All of book 3
Book 1: The village

And did anyone else know that Brian was approached by STEVEN SPIELBERG to make a movie of the castaways of the flying Dutchman and Brian turned him down because he wanted kids to read instead!?!??

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Gonff

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 24, 2011, 01:28:03 AM
So technically, the sequence if events is:

Book 1: The ship
Book 1: The Shepard
All of book 2
All of book 3
Book 1: The village

Oh, so that's why there's so much time between The Shepard and The Village. I just finished the first book and I was wondering...
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

White One6193

I think this was Brian's masterpiece. It certainly was the best set of supernatural/historical fiction I've ever read... Twas a shame that Serafina died, though. Poor Ben. Brian, may he rest in peace, was the one author who got me started reading... I will miss his work. REDWALLLL!!
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

White One6193

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 06, 2011, 01:58:29 AM
Aggghhhh!.... So... Tempted... Must... Debate!.....
Buuuut out of respect,
Then I'm not sure why he said it. Wasn't he Arabian? Most Muslims are Arab so it'd make sense as to why he said it. Or maybe it was just a word he heard a lot

He isn't Arab precisely. Brian says that Al Misurata hails from the Misurata coast. That's in Libya. SO, Al Misurata might be the ancestor of a certain Libyan Colonel... ;) One note I might add: When all the trouble in Libya started, I already knew where every place was, thanks to Brian's book.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!