AbbeyCraft - The Redwall + Minecraft project

Started by cryptopur, June 20, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defawnden

Hi there, first off I have to say that Abbycraft is looking fantastic and i look forward to roam and explore throughout the world.  Second, admittedly, I have not read all the Redwall series. in fact I have only read four, maybe five; it was a long time ago.  Therefore, I do not know all the ins and outs of the Redwall world, but I read enough to fall in love with the series.

This being said, and I hope that this is the right place to give opinion, I followed the link in my e-mail, what I would want Abbycraft to be is an adventure style world with some RPG elements to it.  This, however, does not describe what I envision. If you would bear me for a moment I shall explain.

Imagine, if you will, that you are a young mouse wandering through a forest away from the protection of the high walls of Redwall and from the counsel of older and wiser mice.  After a time you come across a fork, one path going right and one path going left.  Your adventurous spirit calls out and you go right.  The path is filled with many place of wonder and excitement but the hour is getting late and soon becomes night and you are now lost.  You stumble around and haphazardly fall into a camp of rats!  Your heart pounds and your mind races with what they will do. In the end they take you as a prisoner and put you in a mine to work there for the rest of your life.  You are fill sadness and despair but hope remains.  You resolve to escape.  You must escape.  And this is what I want fro the game.  Not the "splat the rat" as you fine folks put it, but a game where one must use wit and cunning to advance. A game where if you had chosen to go left on the path you would have end in a maze where a giant "Slimball" is chasing you and you must beat the maze or capture the "Slimeball" in the very cage that it escaped from.  It is a game where the exploration and adventure are key, because, in truth, I fill that that is the essence of the Redwall Series, Adventure.  Things happen and one cant go on till they beat the situation  that they themselves had stumbled into.  I have not seen a game like the one I am describing.  It is not A Elder Scrolls game.  If you need a reference to what I am talking about, think of the game the Ender plays in Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game,  it just not being as brutal and disturbing.  And this might be the direction you folks are already going.  If that is the case good job.

Now, this might be, and most likely is, to big of a task for the boundaries of Abbycraft and I realize this.  But I do wonder how it would look and fill if you folks could pull it off.  How players would react to it and how it would age.  You may never now, you might end up redefining they way video games are made and played ;)

Well I think I have talked for long enough for now, I wish the best of luck to Soma games and all who are apart of the development.
"Well, we've done all we can do."

VedCassib

That sounds interesting. :)  I think that it would be a little much for AbbeyCraft because it's basically a stepping stone to Redwall: The Warrior Reborn.

FinbarrGaledeep

Hey everybody! I love what is going on here. I have been following the Redwall Warrior Reborn for months. I am a huge fan of Minecraft. It is one of my favorite games.

With AbbeyCraft I really hope that you make it an RPG. As a Minecraft Map maker I know what im talking about with Minecraft Rpgs. If you decide to make it an Rpg I would like to suggest that you use a Mod called Custom NPCs. Strangly enough this mod allows you to completely customize your Npcs, you can choose their race, gender, and skin. You can customize their inventory whether they are agressive or not. And you can give them dialoge. All these are amazing features But the best feature of all is probably the ability to assign quests and jobs to the Npcs. So that you can interact with them. The mod allows you to write what they say and allows you to script available dialoge options for your character. You can basically make an Rpg that is similiar to Skyrim.

Speaking of Skyrim It would be soooo cool if Redwall the warrior reborn was similar. I would really love to see character customization at the beginning of the game. I would really like to see different races available to you. For example my favorite race is Wolves. I would love to be a wolf. I wold also like to see different armor types and weapons, and side quests. It would be cool if you had a meter that said good side, bad side. And based on your actions it tips one way or another. If your race is a mouse or somthing good then you start with 20 good points but if your race is somthing like a rat you start with 20 bad points. So basically you shape for future.

Maybe if your scale tips to far to the dark side you can start recruiting vermin and become a warlord. And if you tip far enough to the good side you can wield Martins Sword. One of the side quests should be that if you are a bad guy you capture Salamandastron and Redwall. If your a good guy you stop a corsair invasion.

Defawnden

Quote from: VedCassib on July 04, 2013, 08:40:10 PM
That sounds interesting. :)  I think that it would be a little much for AbbeyCraft because it's basically a stepping stone to Redwall: The Warrior Reborn.

Very true, It is a bit much, but it would be a good game concept that no one has truly explored.  Now there have been games that you can go and explore and get into trouble, however,  these games kind of have a linear and you can always back out and go do something else if they don't fancy what they stumbled into.

This concept, however, suggest that a player couldn't.  They would have to figure it out.  This wouldn't be a linear game because you could be roaming and something happens, think of the dynamic events that happen in Guild Wars 2.  A level one Character can join a fight against a giant monster just because he was wandering around and found it, and that is kind of what I'm talking about.  Except that instead of it being an RPG it's an Adventure game.
"Well, we've done all we can do."

Shadowed One

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the game makers already decided that it will be an RPG.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

psybox

This is the abbeycraft thread.  It's not an RPG, it's a minecraft map.  I don't know about warrior reborn, though.

Shadowed One

Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

cryptopur

Welcome, my child!

On behalf of the Elders of Redwall and myself, Abbot Cedric, we are delighted to have you join us as a Novice of Redwall Abbey. We are honoured that such a clever and competent young mouse such as yourself would seek to join us in our ongoing labours.

While we presume you are well-familiar with the traditions of Redwall, it is worth reiterating the abbey's charter. As a novice, you will be expected to abide by its code at all times.

Our charter:
~ To be brothers and sisters of peace and goodwill while living together under the protection of Redwall Abbey.
~ Forsake all unnecessary forms of violence, not only to Mossflower, its trees, grasses, flowers and insects, but to all living creatures.
~ Help and comfort the dispossessed.
~ Harbour orphans and waifs.
~ Offer shelter to all creatures alike.
~ Give clothing, warmth and food to any beast or creature that is deemed in need of such.
~ Educate and learn, particularly in the healing arts, comfort the sick, nurse the injured and help the wounded.
~ Take food from the earth and replenish the land by caring for it; husbanding crops, living in harmony with the seasons always.
~ To honour and protect friends and brethren, only raising paw to do battle when life at Redwall is threatened by treachery and the shadow of war; at these times every Redwall creature should show courage, fortitude and obedience to the Father Abbot. The taking of another life must always be justified and never carried out in a wanton manner.

As you continue your journey to our gates, consider our charter and our Order's vocation. At all times we must live up to this. It is our way, our very life.

With this note is a key to the gates of Redwall. Take the road south from this garrison, keep Mossflower Woods to your left and you will soon reach our gate. On your way, please collect a small supply of spring water, mushrooms, and grass seeds - our friar needs them to restock the larders. 

We look forward to your arrival soon.

VedCassib

Sounds like we're getting really close to the release of AbbeyCraft! I can't wait! Now we have a general idea of the time period of the game as well.  :)

Shadowed One

cryptopur

Shadowed One

Radiago

Hi folks! We're here at the shop making some last minute changes and adjustments to the adventure map, and part of that is incorporating some of the new blocks in 1.6. One of the things that we are looking at is a change to the walls... but since they are so iconic, we thought we'd get some input from you, the supporters who are making it all happen!

So please, tell us in the comments which of these blocks you think looks the best. And keep in mind, this is with the default Minecraft texture pack - our custom texture pack will make it look even more Redwall-ey, no matter what!

Images behind the spoiler tag for better loading.
Spoiler

[close]

VedCassib

Lutra

To me, the first four seem so unnatural, and I only like the last one.  Why are they so pale though?  Surely we can make pinkish red sandstone....
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra