News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, June 22, 2011, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff

It won't let me start a new topic under games. Can we fix this somehow?
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

The Lady Shael

~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Gonff

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Icefire

Question:  On other forums I've been apart of, we've been allowed to add banners to our signatures. Are we allowed to do that here? If so, is there a size limit on graphics?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

The Lady Shael

Yes, you are allowed to add banners to your signatures. I don't think there is a size limit, but if your image is obnoxiously huge (height greater than 300, width greater than 800), we'll ask you to make it smaller.

James Gryphon

If someone was to design new buttons and icons for the forum, to replace the Home/Help/New Topic/etc. buttons, and post them up somewhere, is it possible that they might be used?
« Subject to editing »

The Lady Shael

Yes! If anyone wants to design them and send them in, I'm sure the staff would be happy to choose some to use for our theme.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I cannae post pictures on the forum for some reason. Any ideas why?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Uploading attachments to posts has been disabled for security reasons, you'll need to upload your photos via an imaging host such as photobucket, at least that's what you'll need to do that to my understanding-I'm almost completely certain.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

The Lady Shael

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tiria Wildlough

Two questions. #1 When I looked at the members list, there are practically hundreds that have registered, and never posted. What do you do about them?
#2 What do you get gagged for?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

James Gryphon

I'll give subbing for the mods a shot on question #2. ;)

The members that're gagged, I believe, are all without exception spammers. I assume that it isn't possible or convenient to easily ban them/delete their accounts, so the gagging keeps them those accounts from being used until they can be removed.

Besides that, it seems probable that a member would likely be gagged for repeated violations of the Redwall Abbey Forum's rules, or perhaps one particularly heinous violation. Don't worry about unintentionally getting yourself gagged... the moderators will warn you for minor violations, so you'll be given multiple opportunities to learn and do the right thing. I suspect there are a few things that would result in being automatically gagged, but to do those would definitely require intent and knowledge of what you're doing, so you don't need to concern yourself with it in this case.

After being gagged, I don't know the exact policy the Redwall Abbey staff uses, but I'd guess that there might be a cool-off time for the member, a sort of expiration date on the normal gag, so as to give them yet another chance to avoid rulebreaking, assuming that their offenses were minor enough. (Though if there isn't, that would be fine too -- considering that the moderators would have already given them multiple warnings at this point.) If gagging doesn't prohibit the member from sending messages, it might be possible they could discuss the details of their gag with the moderation, but don't quote on me on that.
« Subject to editing »

Matthias720

That was well said, James. Good job! ^_^

That's pretty much it. Gagging is primarily a way for ToR and myself to handle the spam issue, without the need for admin abilities. However, gagging can be used on any member who breaks the forum rules, despite several warnings. I won't go into the details of it all, but we (the forum staff) take gagging VERY seriously. If you see that a forum member (not a spambot) has been gagged, you'll know we had a very good reason. We do ask that you do refrain from asking about any specific gagging. If we feel the need to share the details, we will do so in a public place. If we don't, then the details will remain confidential, under most circumstances.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Very well outlined and said, James Gryphon.
Important thing is, don't argue with the staff on their decisions. We make such decisions, as Matthias720 said, very seriously, and for the good of the forum.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away