Colloborative Writing! (Planning and Signup)

Started by Blaggut, April 30, 2016, 05:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

So guys, I had an idea. We've all seen the fanfics on the forum, and all of us have wanted to make one, but they take too much time to create. So what if we all agreed on a basic plot and cast of main characters, and then set up a turn basis. Whoever's turn it is writes that chapter. This will make things interesting as each person has a different writing style, so even though the Fanfiction/book will contain the same storyline and cast of main characters, it will have each person's writing style.

A writer may write in any style he or she wants, but he may not 1) add major characters or 2) add major plot points without first consulting the rest of the group. So to clarify, a writer may add minor characters (an abbeydweller or cellarhog or somesuch) and add minor plot points (such as a Horde leader killing off a minor vermin character) but not add important characters (such as someone joining the group of adventurers) or add major plot points (a whole tribe of guosim shrews arrive to help out the adventurers) etc without first consulting the group. If enough people agree you may add it into the storyline.

Put down your name if you want to join :D
~Just a soft space boi~

The Skarzs

This is quite similar to the pass along fan fictions on the other forum. I've never joined one because of how disorganized they seemed, but if one were to be properly put together with rules and character sheets, then I might consider.

One thing I would say would help would be a minimum word count per part written. Often beginning writers have about 300 words before they end the chapter and go on to the next. I say that each chapter should be AT LEAST 1000 words, but that should be the minimum. Many of the chapters in my book are over 4000 words long, at or above 7 pages.

Giving people the end goal may not be the best idea as it may cause each chapter to quickly, TOO quickly, reach that final confrontation. This would cause very rushed stories that would be unsatisfying.

Characters must develop in the story, for sure, but the starting writer must give some description of at least one character for others to envision. The problem with a lot of writers writing a single story is they all have different visions of characters and what they might be like.

That brings me to my next idea: Every story has about one main protagonist with two or three supporting characters, who in turn interact with other minor characters, as well as the villain and his accomplices. Let's say there are five people writing: Each author can pick a character that will be their focal point (though they will be allowed to control the other characters, within reason), and will write with chapters focusing on their characters. Often in stories the limelight switches from place to place and character to character, like Main C, then Villian, then Side C, then back to Main, then interactions between two or more Side, Main, or Villain characters, and so on.
So. Once all the authors have their focus characters that they will build on and help the main character with (or in the case of the villain, try to stop the protagonist), the story can piece together. That's not to say that each writer cannot write about other characters; I only meant that by giving writers characters, the development can be unique to them without butting heads with the other writers.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I like Skarzs' idea. I've never done a pass along fic, but I'll absolutely join! :) I'd love to play a villain >:D
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

So would I. 8) :P We'll all get our chances to control the villain, I'm sure.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

I'd be honored to join in on this Blaggut.

And I'd also like to say I agree with everything Skarzs has said. That kind of logistical component is necessary if something like this is to work out.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Eulaliaaa!

I'd enjoy writing with you guys. So I guess count me in.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Cornflower MM

I'd do it, but any word limit goes against the grain for me. (I can reach 1000 easily - It's not that. It's more the idea really - I dunno how to explain it)

Also dance craziness is just starting and also garden season. (Plus I can only write utter trash if I'm not motivated.) So good luck.

Eulaliaaa!

I think it would be best to stray from Redwall Abbey. Maybe have the story take place somewhere else to make it more interesting. Like Loamhedge before/during the plague, or Salamandastron while it was an active volcano, or some new place entirely.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

The Skarzs

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on May 05, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
So ya'll all mentioned you would be interested in writing the collaborated fanfic that Bonaparte introduced. Seeing as the actual topic hasn't been highly active I decided to reinvigorate interest with a PM.

Now Skarzs mentioned on the topic that there had to be some rules, guidelines, and cohesion between the writers that we should probably agree on before we start scribbling out a basic plot. I don't really know how ya'll go about writing stories but usually I get pretty heavy handed into the logistical front of how the story will play out.

Plot details, characters, twists, and other such things that make a story good. But to start off I think we should just cover the basics. So first things first.

1. Are you actually interested in taking part in a collaboration? Basically deciding whether you have the time and interest to continue. Would you rather not get into the actual writing. Maybe you'd just like to see different story elements play out, or come up with cool ideas for the writers. Which would be really helpful in their own way.

2. Should we have a word minimum/maximum? I know I personally would prefer a range that we should stay within, but I know Cornflor had some trepidation about that. So it would best to sort that out straight off.

3. Since the whole point of a collaboration is that we collaborate I think it would be wise to mark out exactly how much freedom each writer has when they are formulating a chapter. I am concerned that if the fence posts are to restrictive then they wont be able to make an exciting chapter, on the other paw keep things to loose and we'll have a really confusing story, that isn't collaborated at all. We'll need to agree on a happy medium.

4. Should we each have our own character we focus on? Say instead of having one particular main character we each created something like a specific character unique to that writer who depicts the world from that character's point of view. Kind of like an RP, except you also control the other characters in that given chapter.

Or should we instead create a small cast of characters and write from any point of view we want? I'd actually prefer the second option because if you become to attached to your character then we get awkward situation that happen in RPs where that character never gets too physically damaged.

Of course we also have the bigger questions too, such as where and when the story will take place. What sort of Redwall universe will it be set in. And what the story will actually be about. But we'll come to that later. We should probably start off small, and in the meantime I'd suggest we do a little fun writing, so that the other collaborators can get to know each other's styles. Something short, and fun to write.

My last point is something I want to make very clear. I think every idea ya'll have should be put forward, but I also think that we ought to get used to every idea we have being pushed away too. Because of the collaboration we all need to pitch into the logistical side of story making, and be okay with no one agreeing with your idea. I also think that this story collaboration should have a leader who settles things once and for all. I'd suggest Skarzs or Leonardo to take that role seeing as they have the most writing experience.

What do ya'll think?
1: I am very interested. I will do my best to stay active, but my submissions might be sporadic.
2: While I think short chapters are a waste of time, I guess I won't hold people to a word count. I, however, will keep myself to a word count.
3: Agreed about the freedom, but there is little that can be done when there are many writers doing a single project. More will have to be discussed in the actual topic on this.
4: If we each do characters, the points I posted in the topic still stand. If we decide to go with the second option, we will need to make sure each person is familiar with the characters before we write. That is where I like your idea of practicing, but with the addition of familiarizing ourselves with the characters. Perhaps we can each make characters that will be played by everyone? Every writer shall create a character, but they won't be necessarily the only person writing about them?

A basic plot should be made, a skeletal outline, if we want to keep things logistical. Bonaparte was the one who started the thread, so we don't want commandeer his idea. We'll be sure to see what he thinks about all this.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Blaggut

I'm feeling chipper, and I didn't sleep last night. Strange combination but it seems to have created the rare time when I actually do something! So I shall begin, sorry for being late. My grammar will probably be bad because I'm tired.

I shall be a sort of referee of sorts. Well, that's not really a good term, as there aren't many rules. A sort of Dungeon Master, like in D&D. Well that's not good either, since I'm not controlling it. A Reffadungeonymaster. That's what I am. I'll post the introduction and first chapter, and probably won't be writing much after that. I'll just make sure things are steered on course.

On chapter length, I won't put an exact limit or whatever. But try and make it as long or almost as long as a Brian chapter. A good deal of pages. Don't be that writer who goes 'Mary Sue slew the rat with a signal blow and then clunys nephew came in and tried to attack her chapter end' but put effort into it and make it look like you crafted it with care (which mine probably won't, one reason I won't be highly active) and it'll pass as long as it's long enough.

As for rules on creative freedom, I like to use an acronym; C.I.K. Communication is Key. Minor characters, sure. Minor deaths, probably sure. Killing off a main character, or adding a new one, you should consult the rest of the writers. If we agree that it's a good idea and makes for a riveting plot, boom, it's in. Just don't go game of thrones mode and kill off everyone in Redwall. JonSnowIsAWolverine

We should definitely not have a character to focus on. The tale, like all Redwall tales, shall be third person. The more Redwall-like it is, the better! This would also cause writers to get partial to characters, and not want them to die. Further, Mary Sues and it will make things seems like a role-play rather than a Fic. Also, I would totally take the Abbey Beekeeper, which would make me a Sue Writer. *sends army of bees to sting enemy vermin to death*

On my Leadership thingie, I'm not really a leader. All plot decisions are made by the group. Ok here to make rule decisions and just kinda occasionally make sure the plot is going the right direction. And if I ask you to change course a little, don't be offended. It's a given that things are gonna go off track a little, since we're all a bunch of hooligans since that's how these things work. (*has no idea how these things work*)

So now that's done, anything else need clearing up? And we need suggestions for plots, villains, characters, locations, etc.
~Just a soft space boi~

LT Sandpaw

I'm all for an Fanfic based in the Southlands Inq, but we'll need a bit more then that. The big question is what kind of story do we want? Are we going to do a tale of vengeance? Maybe a great quest, or the defense of some fort, castle, or Abbey. We could potentially do a slave revolt or a hostile takeover of some village. We could lay out our options and take a vote on them, to see what we really want.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro