News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

A New Beginning

Started by Delthion, July 13, 2016, 10:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie Willowwater

"Well I don't know about Brooke, but I'll sure get in." Sal said, picking at Sham's pasty, then leaned in closer.  "Do you know any way to get in easy like?

Dannflower Reguba

Brussel had risen early that morning, only moments ago returning to the encampment. He had plopped himself down next to Sham and consumed his soup in relative peace. However, the conversation going on to his left sounded rather amusing, and he interjected, "I wouldn't count on any vermin within about 2 miles a' here, this 'ere red spot on my hand is probably the only thing left of the last one close by. Jesse an' myself made sure of that this morning." He couldn't hide his wry smile as he finished, batting Sham's long ears good naturedly, "Don't you worry though, they'll be back 'afore you can say 'Goodness! Me pastie's been stolen wot!'"
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Fatch of Southsward

Sham shook his head at Sal - "T'aint no easy way into the patrol, miss. Gotta prove ya blood 'n vinegar, wot?"

Then a squirrel with bright yellow eyes and fur like an oak tree on his right joined in.

After listening to what he had to say, Sham quickly checked his pasty, to ensure it was not, indeed stolen.

He adopted a look of mock horror, grabbing his ears: "What sort of a bally creature would box a chap's ears and make grabs for his pasty? You must be a 'orrible creature indeed. Name's Sham, what's yours?"

He couldn't hide a slight tone of longing and admiration at what Brussel has said: "So you've actually done battle hand to hand with the blighters, wot? Only wish you'd taken me with ya. I'd give half my left ear for a chance at one of the bloomin' scallywag types."
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

Lady Ashenwyte

OOC: What does the hares' camp look like?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Delthion

OOC: Tents, lots of them, around little fires, then there's a clearing in the center with a larger fire, and that's where the banquet is being held.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Dannflower Reguba

Brussel eye-balled Sham manically, adopting the Hare's dramatic response, "I'm the worst of the worst, why'd you think the officers let me in eh? 'Tis death on the wind and all that bally nonsense," the squirrel startled himself for a moment, "Good heavens, I'm starting to talk like all of you!" He shrugged with a chuckle, turning back to the hare before answering his question, "My names Brussel, though there are a few who've taken to just callin' me Bruss..... I wouldn't necessarily call it hand to hand, more like foot to face, but you're pretty close. Those last two weren't much to speak of though, the splotch on my paw was from a varmint that only had three notches, pretty low marks for a vermin 'is age. Word of advice though lad, appreciate the peace while you got it. It ain't gonna last forever."

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Fatch of Southsward

Sham shook his head.

"Peace, shmeesh. Give me a bally battlefield, and a heroic death any day of the week, wot?"

Seeing skeptical looks, he elaborated: "Besides, living out in the wilderness is dreadful boring - like. Most exciting thing ta do is sentry duty, and they won't even let me do that. 'Sides, ain't nobeast other than us silly enough to be out here. And every day in and out it's the same news: 'be quiet Sham.' 'There may be vermin, be good and don't wander Sham.'"

"How's a creature to explore and learn if he has to spend every blinkin' second on lockdown, wot?"

Before waiting for an answer, he lowered his face, slightly embarrassed. "Sorry sah, I know we're all out here for the best. Just wish I could be a proper warrior like all the other hares back at the bally mountain."

Rosie Willowwater

Sal smiled and patted Sham on the back. "Its a fine thing to crave adventure. And something bad is bound to happen someday". Sal picked up Sham's pasty and walked back to her tent. "I'll be watching for it" she called back.

Eulaliaaa!

Brooke finally spoke up. "If anyone's gettin' in the jolly ole patrol, it'll be me. I'm fast and I've been training a lot lately, wot. So if there are those stinky-tailed frogwallopers around here, I'll be the one to get to 'em first and get in the patrol as a galloper or a scout, wot wot." She quickly devoured an apple and blackberry muffin before speaking up again through a full mouth, spraying crumbs everywhere. "I'd sooner die than not be in th' jolly patrol, wot. I say, this muffin is top hole. Are you going to finish that cheese?" she asked as she piled a salad onto her plate.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Fatch of Southsward

Sham shook his head in amazement, pushing his cheese towards her.

"Nah, all yours Brooke."

"A galloper? After eatin' all that? I'm in for the same shabang, doncha know! Now that you mention it though... " He reached for his pasty, and then realized it was gone.

"Bloomin' backstabbers and mutineers! Somebody's nicked me pasty! 'Oy, Brussel did you spot the confounded blighter?"

Eulaliaaa!

As Sham asked Brussel a question, Brooke seized the opportunity to grab another pasty. She ate it in two bites before getting to work on the cheese. "Hmm, what a jolly mystery. I say, did you see Sal walk away with one, wot wot? Maybe it was two... or three," she said as she eyed his food.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Rosie Willowwater

Sal trudged into her tent and flopped down onto her bed, cramming the last bit of Sham's pasty down her throat. She sat there for a while listening to the distant chatter of the banquet eaters while she continued whittling a flute she had been working on for a while, testing it out every once in a while.

Fatch of Southsward

Sham had stood up, surveying the area.

"Not a trace of the confounded blighter, wot? I alus thought Sal had a keen eye for my poor delicious pasty. Luckily, I've set aside a few pasties just in case someone tried to- Oy! Somebeasts' nicked me other pasties!"

He glared around at the laughing faces around him.

"Conspirators! Murderers and thieves! This place is full of bloomin' devils in disguises!"

Luckily the cook was passing by, and passed him another pasty.

Sham hunched over it protectively - "Ain't no bloomin' blighters gettin' near this 'un, I'm makin' jolly well sure of it, wot!?"

Dannflower Reguba

Brussel was hard put not to giggle when he spotted Sham's pasty being whisked away by Sal. When the victim of the theft finally realized what had happened he lost control, immediately falling into a fit of laughter at Sham's plight. After taking a moment to settle down, the squirrel seized the opportunity to interject again, "I can't say I've had had the same longing as the rest of you, seeing as I grew up as a contented farmer... This life chose me in a way, and it's certainly exciting, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my family and friends, or said that I had no concerns for the 'morrow." His jovial demeanor had simmered down, replaced with a more sober manner, "The first time you witness the bloodshed of a real battlefield, the first time you realize that some of it's yours, the first time you drive the killing blow, after all of that you'll quickly realize that each morning you wake is a little short of a miracle. You're guaranteed nothing good from war, but we fight none the less. I fight because vermin hurt those close to me, and I don't want to see that happen to other beasts." He peered at Sham out of the corner of his eye, "What is your reason for seeking the patrol? what separates you from the vermin who kill for joy or to steal?" He didn't wait for an answer before shifting to Brooke, "And you miss, might I ask how you prepare for something you have yet to experience? Speed is good, but you will need to learn more than that if you wish so strongly to be a patroller." levity returned as he let out a quiet chuckle, "I'm neither trying to scare or dissuade you, I've worked and fought with Hares long enough to know you'll go on with your plans even if they kill you. Fight with courage and boldness, but also honor and respect, your history was forged in blood, and your future will be as well. It's the younger hares, like yourselves, looking to be warriors that hold both the responsibility and privilege of deciding just what the great Long Patrol will be to those who follow in your footsteps." Brussel paused for a moment after this, almost returning to eating, before realizing something that made him groan, "Goodness me, I sound like one of those old fogy's don't I?"

Delthion

Harold had let the others enjoy the feast for a while, but he did have a reason for everyone gathering together. He then stood up and addressed the group, "Now I know that we all have had a rather rough go of it before this time of relative peace. But our fortunes will change soon, tomorrow we are going to begin working on a large fortress in this clearing. We will send some hares to Redwall to see if we can have the use of their sandstone quarry. I don't know of any reason why they should deny us the use of it, but we should still ask. The rest of us will begin hewing trees to make space and gather supplies for the rest of the fortress. Everybeast should start getting ready tonight. We'll have many days of hard work ahead." Then he sat down to listen what the other hares had to say on the subject.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.