News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Rern (Ashleg) versus Argunath (The Skarzs)

Started by Ashleg, October 03, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

The forest, dark and dense with brush and thorns, seemed oddly still.
Cool autumn moonlight cascaded down through the trees and cast shadows, twisting to the eye, and dried brown leaves littered the dirt.

Rern the hairless rat was out foraging for food.
Every few steps he would take he'd grab his dagger and hack at the foliage to clear his path, cursing in some unknown language.

He was not from here.
The woods were foreign.
And he felt like he had company.

((OOC- @The Skarzs )

The Skarzs

Argunath stalked through the trees, looking for a spot to sleep the night. His attuned ears twitched as they caught the sound of somebeast moving in the darkness.
  The cougar stopped, and listened.
  Whomever it was was coming closer, though Argunath couldn't tell exactly where they were. So he waited.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Gathering his wits, Rern proceeded forth at a cautionary pace, dagger at the ready.
That scent...did it belong to a wildcat? He padded to a quiet halt.
No...
It was certainly not wildcat. Although it was similar, it was foreign.

Clenching his teeth, the rat found himself grimacing coolly, a low growl rumbling in his throat as he stroked his chin.
"Hello, yes?" he called out disarmingly, gaze shifting to and fro. "You are seeing me...I am no fool."

The Skarzs

The creature came into view: A rat with no fur. Argunath watched him motionlessly, thinking of what to do. Then the rat spoke.
  "Hello, yes? You are seeing me. . . I am no fool."
  Argunath moved. "I'm here, stranger."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Rern's eyes flicked mysteriously in the moonlight.
"Make yourself seen," he growled.

The Skarzs

Argunath moved closer, not caring of the branches that snapped beneath his feet. "Behind you."
  He stopped a short ways away from Rern. "Who are you?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Rern whirled, paw growing white from his nonrelenting hold on his blade.
His initial thought was to turn and leave without another word, his suspicions having already been confirmed--it was not a wildcat but something similar. Perhaps a foreigner like himself.

The hairless rat sucked in a sharp breath. He had to stall for time as he jumbled over words in his head. What was the saying...?
"Unimportant."

Silence; he flicked his ear.

"What are you?"

The Skarzs

"A cougar." Argunath looked down at the rat. "You're not from this land either."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"Yes." Rern's furless head bobbed rhythmically as he observed Argunath from eartop to tailtip.
His eyes slowly dilated. They had locked on the pack attached to the cougar's side, the smell of food having hit the rat at once, smack in the nose.

Paw still on his dagger, he shuffled closer.

The Skarzs

Argunath took a step back, putting one of his big paws on his sword. "Hey! Stay back. I'm not in the mood for trouble."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

The rat did a hopskip towards the stranger and groped the air for the bag.

The Skarzs

The other was unable to avoid the searching paws, and he felt them latch onto his pack. He growled as he reached for Rern's neck with an armored paw.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Rern gasped and let go so he could duck.
Because of their large size difference, he was able to swoop through the space between Argunath's legs and the ground, allowing for a timely escape.
That cougar looked like he wanted to kill him!

Rern had never stopped to look and see if his adversary decided to give chase. He stopped running once the cougar was out of sight, back pressed against a tree so he could catch his breath.
He'd get the pack.

OOC-
A post. Be proud. Get your party spinners cos "Congrations, I dun it!"

The Skarzs

Argunath watched as Rern ran off, and he did not take his eyes off the rat until he could no longer see him. The cougar turned and stalked off into the darkness, keeping his ears attuned to any sounds of pursuit.
  After some time he found a small clear area between trees, where the moss grew thick and soft on the trees and ground. He took off his chestplate and gauntlets, laying them aside as he unrolled his blanket and leaned against a tree to rest.

OOC: I figured it would make a more interesting fight if he didn't have his armor on.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Rern swiped his brow, ears twitching with adrenaline as he gathered himself and began stealthily doubling back through his haphazardly-made path, one thing on his mind: his prize.

The hairless rat soon picked up Argunath's scent trail, and by pointedly following it, he soon found what he was hoping to.
He ducked into the bushes to watch.

Yes, that was indeed the cat--just lying there.
And the beast's armor was off!

A sly grin spread across Rern's face.