News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Vanderdecken

Started by Ashleg, October 05, 2017, 04:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

So, I'm reading the first Castaways right now, and I'm still in the beginning so DON'T GIVE ME ANY MAJOR SPOILERS.

What I'm wondering is...does Vanderdecken make a return at all in the book after his initial disappearance? Not in dreams or memories, either, I'm talking full-on Flying Dutchman in the flesh.

And also...
How are books two and three? Do they deal with the ocean more? I picked this up expecting (and wanting) a pirate tale but it doesn't seem to be going in that direction, at least in the first 100 pages.

a crumb

As far as Vanderdecken reappearing goes: No

I've only read books one and two, but as far as more seafaring goes: Yes.
And some non-pirate stuff, as well. (I personally found the non-pirate part more memorable).

Maudie

Hmm, I seem to remember parts where Vanderdecken and the Flying Dutchman make reappearances...just not significant ones. More to move the plot along than anything else...

Although I couldn't say for sure. :P
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

Quote from: Maudie on October 05, 2017, 05:42:36 AM
Hmm, I seem to remember parts where Vanderdecken and the Flying Dutchman make reappearances...just not significant ones. More to move the plot along than anything else...

Although I couldn't say for sure. :P

Those might be the dream sequences.

Quote from: a crumb on October 05, 2017, 04:57:28 AM
As far as Vanderdecken reappearing goes: No

I've only read books one and two, but as far as more seafaring goes: Yes.
And some non-pirate stuff, as well. (I personally found the non-pirate part more memorable).

First off, darn!
Secondly, good, more seafaring. I personally find the non-pirate stuff kind of...ergh, boring.

Captain Tammo

The presence of the Dutchman is definitely there throughout the whole series and it's awesome.

As for more pirates and sailing: you bet! It's all pretty fun, too. I remember at one point in The Angel's Command, the ships perform a particular maneuver in which the story has an illustration in the middle of the book to show the reader what's going on. I thought it was pretty neat considering that's not really like Brian Jacques.

Anyway, that's a tiny detail. Yes, lots more sailing! And some land adventures along the way that are pretty spectacular if I say so myself.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior