Beyond The Map

Started by BloodGullet, June 01, 2013, 04:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 04, 2013, 08:05:52 PM
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 02, 2013, 01:35:05 AM
In a lot of ways Mossflower region is similar to England (where of course the animals used in the stories all originate from) with the rough north country (Scotland), rough coast to the east, and the "Green Isle" to the west (Ireland) ... but there are differences, the main one being the Salamandastron volcano.

And the land of ice and snow would be Greenland or Iceland??
Probably...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Romsca

Then would Sampetra be one of the islands in the Carribean?

Tam and Martin

It sounds like a Carribean Island. Tropical like

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Buzz_Bumble

Possibly, or simply the Arctic ... although these days there's very little ice and snow in any of those countries during the summer months.  :(

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Theze dayz there'z very little ice an' znov at aw!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Romsca

Vilu Daskar

Non of the maps show the highlands.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Hazelrah42

This whole thread is interestingly enough and I had an epiphany since I figured it out tonight that Redwall basically takes place in Northern England. Using it as a scale we can get a pretty good idea about distances and also travel time. This would help us understand more spects of the book and, while there are some exceptions with regards Salamandastron and deserts, we might be able to find real world equivalents in England. It'd be interesting to get a sense of time and scale and apply it to the map :)

Hazelrah42

For example, we can correctly assume that Green Isle is Ireland, that one was obvious, but Terra Mort could simply be the Isle of Man, and we could use terrain maps to isolate large rivers and streams etc. another good real world example could be to find the Great Lake (as referred to in Salamandastron) could be Windemere.

The Skarzs

Indeed. This is mostly the consensus that a lot of other members have come to. There is another topic where a lot of discussion was going on. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Here are a couple!

http://www.redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=10486.0
http://www.redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=4701.0
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hazelrah42

SoranMBane

I know I've seen at least a few references in the books to an unseen tropical land that lies far across the western sea. I wouldn't be surprised if that's meant to be the Redwall world's equivalent of South America.

There are also references to trading ships, which are probably how the Redwallers got access to a lot of the food they eat that isn't native to Britain in real life (like arrowroot, maize, and tomatoes, all of which come from the Americas). There's also the story of the Coin from The Sable Quean (which was nailed to the mast of a wrecked ship, inscribed with markings that Lord Brang couldn't read, and which is described as being "from someplace far beyond the sunset"), hinting at populated lands far across the sea.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Hazelrah42 on March 25, 2018, 09:05:39 AM
This whole thread is interestingly enough and I had an epiphany since I figured it out tonight that Redwall basically takes place in Northern England. Using it as a scale we can get a pretty good idea about distances and also travel time. This would help us understand more spects of the book and, while there are some exceptions with regards Salamandastron and deserts, we might be able to find real world equivalents in England. It'd be interesting to get a sense of time and scale and apply it to the map :)
There actually is a volcano in the UK. An extinct one. Though it's certainly not on the western coast. It's in Edinburgh.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Steelinghades

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on March 26, 2018, 04:33:24 AM
There actually is a volcano in the UK. An extinct one. Though it's certainly not on the western coast. It's in Edinburgh.

Which would fit with salamandastron being an extinct volcano, though it is lacking the proper positioning.