News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Visualizing Redwall animals on two or four legs

Started by a crumb, October 09, 2017, 04:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you visualize Redwall's animals as operating on two or four legs?

All species on four legs
0 (0%)
All species on two legs
9 (31%)
Most species on four legs
0 (0%)
Most species on two legs
19 (65.5%)
Other
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Krantor the Brutal

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Quote from: Maudie on October 12, 2017, 05:43:19 AM
It's interesting how our imaginations differ when it comes to just what level of human-ness the animals have.
Indeed.
I think of it as more of physically practical. Most animals would not be able to function if they were stood on two legs with the bone structures they have. Human bodies are the most adapted for vertical standing, mostly with the spine, so if an animal were to walk on two legs with much effectiveness they would have to have some human characteristics.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

Yeah.

When it comes to the hares I tend to think of their long feet being flat on the ground rather than kind of tip-paw like some people tend to draw them. I just can't see how they could balance comfortably stood like that. The thought of those long feet on the floor seems clumsy, but they would just have to adapt by picking their paws off the ground more when they walk or so.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Krantor the Brutal

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

You also see how fat, or wide-hipped they look like that.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

How I tend to view a lot of the animals, trying to keep a bend in the legs more akin to the animal than to a human's, then it does mean they go wide at this hips (which is fine, okay D:, boohoo). But it is getting that tricky balance. Give a mouse that and then you're tempted to make them tip-paw, but they tend to be described as wearing sandals - at least those in Redwall - keeping their feet flat which might make it more awkward with the more animal-like bend. Or maybe it does work okay. And I just said flat-pawed would work for hares, so... I'm overthinking it. I'm not sure anymore...

I just looked at the UK cover of The Rogue Crew and an otter drawn wearing shorts looks pretty awkward, like the illustrator couldn't quite work out whether drawing the legs like that to enable shorts really worked or not.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Ah mean...

Because sandals.
You just need to throw their anatomy out the window and alter it to be more cartoony. Once done, it's not awkward for them to be flat-footed an' as you see, John here's not wide at the hips or anything.

Also, you can (gag) look at Zootopia or the Secret of NIMH (especially--because mice) and see how they drew the feet.

Krantor the Brutal

Captain Wortshire

Quote from: Krantor the Brutal on October 14, 2017, 12:03:37 AM
Weren't footwear dropped?
Nope, some vermin wear boots.

Heck even Gurgan Spearback the hedgehog from Long Patrol wore boots
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

Ashleg

Even in the last book there is Log-a-Log Dandy Cloggs, named after his shoes.

The Skarzs

It's all in the way we visuallize it, I guess.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

Yeah, but the Robin Hood characters are more humanised (and of course cartoony) in their bodies than I tend to picture the Redwall characters. I know flat-pawed can work in certain ways!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal