News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The FOOD Thread

Started by Ashleg, October 12, 2017, 05:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

If you want to tell the world that you just made a pie, you just want to point out that you just had mustard for the first time, or you want to detail that you choked on an apple and nearly died, then this is the place to do it.

I mean, come on, why isn't there a food thread around here? We all love food.

The Skarzs

So basically you just brought Pinterest and Snapchat into this.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I've never used either of those so I wouldn't know.

Maudie

I really like tortilla wraps with like, lettuce an meat and avocados in them. Yummmm...
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

What differentiates that from a taco...?

The Skarzs

Tacos are hard shells from corn tortillas.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Tacos are distinctly Mexican. The only Mexican thing about the wraps that I am referring to is the tortilla.

Behold!

Something like that.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 13, 2017, 03:23:47 AM
Tacos are hard shells from corn tortillas.

Ever heard of a soft taco, bruh?!

Maudie, that looks good.

The Skarzs

That ain't a real taco brosef. It was made for white people who are too picky to have hard shells.

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 13, 2017, 05:13:24 AM
Hmm. Needs more cheese.
ALWAYS MORE CHEESE.
My brother made dinner and put the perfect amount of cheese in it. 'Twas very good for being made by a nine-fingered goblin.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Well...
I can't argue with that. I'm living proof of that example.

That insult to your brother, though...mah gosh. Skarzs' throwing shade.

Rusvul

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 13, 2017, 06:07:27 AM
That ain't a real taco brosef. It was made for white people who are too picky to have hard shells.

This is... not correct. The taco is at least one or two hundred years old. It was most likely invented by Mexican silver miners, and was historically made with soft tortillas. Hard tacos are a distinctly American invention, invented in the 1940s by Mexican-American restaurant owners and popularized by Taco Bell. (Glen Bell claims that he invented them, but from what I can tell this is probably not true.) It was successful in large part because pre-fried taco shells keep much better than corn tortillas, so tacos could be sold to a much wider market that otherwise would not have had access to them.

So, rather than the soft taco being for white people who don't like hard shells, the hard taco is for Americans who like efficiency, variety, and tacos, and are alright with inauthentic Mexican food. (I mean, or anyone who just prefers the crunch.) That's not to say all or even most soft tacos are necessarily authentic Mexican food... American tacos (even those made by the Mexican-Americans who first brought tacos to the US) are inherently different from Mexican tacos due to the different foods available.

The sociology of tacos is really interesting, actually.

(I don't mean "authentic" or "inauthentic" as value judgements. I've had some very good traditional tacos and some very good innovative tacos. Eat whatever kind of taco you like, I'm not gonna judge. :P )

Ashleg

I knew that and was gonna say something like that but didn't want to do the research to back myself up as I knew I'd have to.

Brownie points for Rusvul.

DelenatheWanderer

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 13, 2017, 06:07:27 AM
He has a point; white people added the lettuce, cheese, sour cream, etc. Tastes great, but authentic tacos just have tortilla, meat, cilantro, and maybe some pico.
But what's with the taco war?
I like sushi and home-cooked comfort food. Sweet potato pie, anyone?
Disney. Brian Jacques. J.R.R. Tolkien. C.S. Lewis. Toby Fox. A.A.Milne. And more...

Tam and Martin

heck yah ^^^

I love all food though so thats not unnormal

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000