who would win?

Started by Captain Tammo, July 07, 2011, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelinghades

Yeah, after scanning through the books in question, I think 9 times out of ten Ashleg will win.

Captain Tammo

The results are in and... Ashleg wins by a lot!

New Round!

Rakkety Tam MacBurl (from Rakkety Tam) vs. Matthias the Warrior (from Mattimeo)

Both have drawn arms on a level playing field.

Who. Would. Win?!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Matthias because of personal bias.

Steelinghades

Ones a warrior who has spent the majority of their life fighting, while the other has lived a cushioned life in an abbey until recently and never had proper training in weapons. It's no contest.

Ashleg

Except Matthias was a great warrior as an adult and was able to use his brain to win his son back.

The Skarzs

What's to say Rakkety Tam didn't use his brain? Sure, his victory over Gulo was almost pure luck, but he faced the wolverine nonetheless, and survived.

We really don't see much of Matthias's swordfighting as an adult, other than him trying and failing to defeat the wearat, and cutting down nameless spear rats.

I think Tam had more formal training, and his reflexes would be more fine-tuned. As far as we know fighting was his life for some time. He traded blows with an opponent much stronger than him.

Blade to blade, my vote goes to Tam, mostly because we have seen where his limits were as a swordsbeast.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Nadaz, voice of the host

Tam is armed to the teeth with a claymore, a skindoo, a dirk, and a buckler plus he's way more skilled he could have deafeated cluny or the wearrat in a fair fight unlike Matthias
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

The Skarzs

*Sgian-dubh.  ;)

We aren't completely sure of that. Cluny was crazed by fear of Matthias because of his dreams, thus affecting his fighting. Had he been thinking clearly, he may have defeated Matthias.
In the fight with the wearat, the spear rats attacked Matthias from behind, distracting him. Then, the mouse was hit in the head with the weights of the net as the wearat swung them over his should, further discombobulating him. In short, the fight was not even.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I don't want to discredit Matthias under the impression that Rakkety Tam had formal training. I recall him being from the north, which is hard and rugged, but that doesn't mean he had formal training. Also, consider that Rakkety Tam was serving a cushy fool for much of his life and rarely saw any action until the events involving Gulo took place. This isn't dissimilar to Matthias, who spent most of his life in Redwall during peacetime until Cluny showed up. But since then, he'd grown into a strong warrior and he shows this in Mossflower not just through his combat, but his brain more importantly.

All that being said, it's meant to credit Matthias, not discredit Rakkety Tam. I think it'd be a closer match than some of you think!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jetthebinturong

Saying that Tam spent much of his life serving Araltum seems false. I was under the impression that Araltum was a relatively recent thing, which accounts for his and Doogy's aggressive dissatisfaction with their position, as previously they had been real fighters.

I think Tam beats Matthias fairly easily.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Grond

Quote from: Captain Tammo on December 06, 2017, 03:59:37 AM
I don't want to discredit Matthias under the impression that Rakkety Tam had formal training. I recall him being from the north, which is hard and rugged, but that doesn't mean he had formal training. Also, consider that Rakkety Tam was serving a cushy fool for much of his life and rarely saw any action until the events involving Gulo took place. This isn't dissimilar to Matthias, who spent most of his life in Redwall during peacetime until Cluny showed up. But since then, he'd grown into a strong warrior and he shows this in Mossflower not just through his combat, but his brain more importantly.

All that being said, it's meant to credit Matthias, not discredit Rakkety Tam. I think it'd be a closer match than some of you think!

Well there's also the question of who trained both of them. We have absolutely no idea who trained Tam, as far as Mathias goes - I would say it is safe to assume that he was trained in sword fighting by Basil. That was the only beast at the Abbey at that time who had a military background. While Basil certainly knew how to fight with a sword and many other weapons as well, there is no indication that he was a master swordsman.

Ashleg

Captain Tammo

Let's do it!

NEW ROUND

How about....

Zwilt the Shade from The Sable Quean
vs.
Mokkan the Marlfox from Marlfox

Each armed with a weapon of choice, the battle is set in the woods in the night time. Brute force might get one the upper paw over the other, but stealth will be the true decider of who will win!

Ashleg

Zwilt, because Mokkan is sort of a coward.

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan