IS the wolverine in Rakkety Tam the best or worst bad guy?????????????????

Started by rachel25, March 25, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadowR

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 09, 2017, 08:01:52 PM
While it is possible that they were meant to come from Canada, as wolverines are native to it, I think it's far more likely that they are meant to come from Scandinavia. In particular, Norway, which is literally referred to, in real life, as "The Land of Ice and Snow."
Perhaps. But what about the culture? Do you suppose he was basing them off of the Vikings?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Their culture does seem distinctly viking-like, being merciless raiders who destroy everything they come across. Gulo himself is pretty much a viking stereotype. Don't recall vikings ever eating people though.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

KoudoawaiaVortex

I liked him because I like wolverines and how nobody who knows what's good for them better do anything to make them mad.

Krantor the Brutal

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Grond

Quote from: Sanddunes on October 08, 2017, 01:14:01 AM
Quote from: Ashleg on October 07, 2017, 10:05:27 PM
Than how would it be just Gulo?

Because maybe Wolverines are only supposed to eat strong warriors to gang their strength while Gulo seem to eat anyone he can

Both the ermine and foxes in Gulo's army ate their enemies or where "cannibals". I'm guessing that was a cultural thing for creatures who were the subjects of Dramz and later Gulo. While there is no doubt that Gulo was crazy, there is nothing to suggest that his brother or father were. The fact that Askor might have been acting somewhat strangely, although I don't remember him being crazy from the brief scene while he was alive in the book, has to be taken in the context that a tree had fallen on him and broken his back. He must have known he was going to die (while at the same time he was probably in excruciating pain) and given this he actually remained fairly calm and composed. He wasn't in a wild panic and appeared to be thinking pretty clearly. Also Gulo murdered his father because, if memory serves me right, he wanted for Gulo and Askor to share power and rule together. While Gulo wanted to be the sole ruler. This indicates that their father was actually a pretty good father especially for vermin.