News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

RRRR... WRITER'S BLOCK!!

Started by SandyB, December 30, 2013, 02:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

*Despairing sigh*

What I should be doing right now is trying to crack on with my fanfiction. What I don't need right now is a seriously bad bout of writer's block. When it came to writing Outlander I already had an idea of how it would all flow together, but when it comes to writing Dawn I'm at a dead end. I've heard all kinds of advice ranging from listen to music to try going back and keep reading what I've already written and something will come in time.

And if that wasn't enough, I've been working really hard over the holidays and when I got back from work I was so tired and not in the mood to write.

So, any suggestions?
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

Romsca

Osu

Informative video, Romsca, thanks for linking!

Sandy: have you tried outlining your story? Every plot point from beginning to end, every scene, every disaster, and so on? I don't know if you're a pantser or if you always do this to begin with, but I think deciding what exactly is going to happen before you start writing is a good way to not have to worry about writer's block once you start writing.

Otherwise, what about reading works by authors you really admire? Pick something really awesome they did in their writing and try to replicate it in yours. I don't mean plagiarism, really, but it might get the juices flowing and that can only be a good thing, right? What better way to learn than from the masters and all that.

The "too tired to write" thing is a little harder. If you're too tired to enjoy your hobbies, then you're too tired to enjoy your hobbies. Best thing I can think of is taking some time to relax, don't work so much if you can help it at all, or do things to eliminate stressors in your life so that you don't feel so overworked when it comes time to pound out the first draft.

Sorry to hear you're suffering from writer's block, I've had my bouts with artist's block and whoa golly gee dang it sucks. Best of luck for your story!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

SandyB

BRAINWAVE! Thanks Romsca & Osu... and thank you Rocksmith!
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

Ungatt Trunn

Hope that all helps your story go underway!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Romsca

So now I have writers block...

I know what's supposed to happen and all, but how do I describe a normal day?

Osu

A normal day? I'd start with the weather. :D Is it absolutely necessary for the plot? It might be easier to skip that particular content altogether if it's giving you a lot of trouble.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Blazemane

Quote from: Romsca on January 27, 2014, 02:26:31 PM
So now I have writers block...

I know what's supposed to happen and all, but how do I describe a normal day?

I ought to have tried responding to this earlier.

I like Osu's suggestion. Describing the weather can be helpful, because it can really help express the tone of the day you're focusing on. I think Redwall books are filled with a ton of normal days, really, and one of the things Brian Jacques went back to time and again was describing the atmosphere around the Abbey.

Also, what do you want to (if I can call it this) "accomplish" with the normal day? What does the reader need to learn about your character or characters? Or what... generalized feeling are we supposed to get about them? Focusing on these sorts of cues might show you which events of all the many possible events in an average day are best to focus on.

And if there any specific sticking details you'd want to hash out, I think we're here to listen for that, too.

Romsca

Thanks for that! I started it where my main character is bored and then she does something that causes the rest of the story to happen  :)

Gonff the Mousethief

I never have writer's block, im just to lazy to wright! :P
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jetthebinturong

I always have writer's block unlike my father who has finished his book but he constantly makes revisions and such, however I think he might be thinking about publishing soon as he has been measuring up book sizes and has a website.

Sorry Romsca but the video didn't help, I assume it is because I have always given myself permission to write terribly and do not consider myself a very good author, better than many people sure, but some of the fan fictions I read blow even real books out of the water (if you want a list, pm me though I'm part of many fandoms that are probably not shared by many people on here) so there is no hope for me. I continue writing anyway because it's fun (my Homestuck/Assassin's Creed crossover is going swimmingly, best I've written so far) and because I have nothing better to do
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

UNKN0WN

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on February 24, 2014, 03:59:48 AM
I never have writer's block, im just to lazy to wright! :P

How's that working for ya  ;D

Romsca

Do you have any advice? I find it kinda difficult to write since I'm left-brained... and lazy... and ADHD. Any suggestions?

Wylder Treejumper

Write something... Anything! Just get into the flow and it helps. A lot of times, I just write something down even if it's not good to help me start, then I go back and edit it.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

You could get inspiration from other people; read some of the fan fictions on here. Some you might think "This is a little like I want," and gain inspiration from that. Others might bring thoughts like "This isn't so good; I know I could do better than this, like changing this sentence here or using a different word here. . ." (this is theoretical, and not meant to be hinting anything to anyone's stories) By being a critic, you might gain some information without realizing it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.