What do redwallers wear in the winter to keep warm?

Started by Edraithel, May 07, 2014, 06:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edraithel

I was wondering since a basic way of staying warm in medieval times was to wear fur or fur lined things but seeing as the people of redwall are animals it's barbaric to them to wear animal skins. So what do you think they would wear in the winter time to stay warm? To me mere cloaks and linen wouldn't cut it. 
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Rusvul

...Heavy cloaks? Thick woven linen? Keep in mind that they have fur lining no matter what they wear. Animals are built to endure cold weather without clothes- Humans aren't.

321tumbler

They also might have many fireplaces that are kept running all day.

Tam and Martin

What Rus said ^^^

They probably have thick linen or some source of thick clothing like cotton or such.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Edraithel

That is true I didn't think about their fur haha XD
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Lady Amber

Do Redwall creatures wear shoes? 'Cause their footpaws might get cold.

Edraithel

We know that at least in the animated series they do since they were sandals and could easily change them to shoes. I don't really imagine them wearing shoes though.

The Skarzs

In the animated series, Winifred the otter wasn't even wearing. . . anything. :P
So, you could conclude that they simply don't need it like we do.
And clothes would drag otters down when they go into water.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Amber

Quote from: Edraithel on May 09, 2014, 05:12:52 AM
We know that at least in the animated series they do since they were sandals and could easily change them to shoes. I don't really imagine them wearing shoes though.
I don't really imagine them wearing shoes either.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Amber

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 09, 2014, 06:45:56 PM
Maybe thick sock-like things. . .
If they did wear thick sock-like things, wouldn't they get soggy in winter?

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Lady Amber

Hmmm, true.

Dannflower Reguba

Do you ever see animals running around in clothes outside when it's cold out?  :P They don't need it, they're covered in fur! The reason we wear fur is because it's quite warm due to the fact that it holds heat extremely well. If their bodies are fur, then it only follows that they'd be warm. Now they are portrayed as being susceptible to the cold, but only to a certain extent.

The length of the hairs that make up fur tend to change seasonally to allow the creature with said fur to be relatively comfortable in any given temperature, which would explain why they generally don't need to change what they're wearing beyond adding or reducing some material.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Lady Amber on May 09, 2014, 02:20:16 AM
Do Redwall creatures wear shoes? 'Cause their footpaws might get cold.

Aye. Matthias in Redwall had sandals that were too big, and in Loamhedge Bragoon and Saro baked the Foremole's sandals in a loaf of bread.

Heavy cloaks, is my thinking. And, Dan, we're talking Redwall...Not real life. No offense meant. But, really, anything can happen in Redwall!