News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Skyblade

Quote from: Mhera on January 24, 2015, 07:18:01 PM
I took the SAT this morning, but I don't know if my commentary on it should be in here or in Random Rants...

Anyhow, what's a weighted GPA?

Feel free to put it wherever you wish. I know about the SAT, so we can rant together :P

A weighted GPA includes weights for classes. In my school, some classes have a weight on them. Whatever grade you get, a higher grade is actually added to the GPA. For instance, if you get a 100 in a Pre-AP class, what will really go in to the GPA is a 105 because Pre-AP classes have a weight of 1.05; AP and IB classes have an even larger weight :D This is how I managed to get a GPA higher than a hundred.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I haven't had to deal with GPA's yet, so thanks for the explanation.

I'm a little frustrated about the SAT; I goofed big time and the Procter wasn't the best. Eh, better luck next time, hopefully.

Banya

I never had to take the SAT, thankfully.  I hope you did better than you think you did! 

I'm a junior at a prestigious university in the States, so if you all have any questions about college - admissions essays, grades, finances, majors, anything - I am full of advice.  One of my favourite things to do is lessen the fears of others about the pressures of college and the future.  This life is awesome. 

Hickory

I have a certain class, instead of History I have Social Studies (economy, etc.)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Quote from: Banya on January 28, 2015, 06:55:00 PM
I never had to take the SAT, thankfully.  I hope you did better than you think you did! 

I'm a junior at a prestigious university in the States, so if you all have any questions about college - admissions essays, grades, finances, majors, anything - I am full of advice.  One of my favourite things to do is lessen the fears of others about the pressures of college and the future.  This life is awesome. 

That's so cool! Congrats! And thank you. I'm a junior in high school :D
Could you give us a bit of advice for applying to prestigious universities? One of my dreams is to attend a college that would honor my parents and family... :)

Banya

Skyblade!  Thank you for asking!  This makes me so excited.

Firstly, essays.  The most important part of the application.  Essays are often read first and initial judgment is passed.  Grades reaffirm what is seen in your writing.  Counselors at my school acknowledge throwing out apps with poor essay before the rest is even looked at.  If you know someone at the school, have them edit your essays.  Have your teachers tear them apart.  Start them all over again after you've gotten feedback.  The hardest part will be cutting them down to fit the max word limit. No sweat.
Secondly, volunteer.  It looks good.
Thirdly, you've heard this before: show yourself off but don't be arrogant.  Do not say things like when I am accepted, say things like if accepted, I hope to take advantage of...
Fourthly, research your school.  Know what they're known for and talk about how that interests you, whether it's building solar cars or studying an uncommonly taught language like Korean or Armenian.
Fifthly, grades are important, but not that important.  Again, admissions counselors will make judgments about you based on your words first.  All A's is great (and props to all you who have them), but one or two C's didn't hurt me, especially if they're in a subject like Calc that is irrelevant to studies in Sociology, International Studies and Environmental Science.  I'm studying with valedictorians from across the country and some of the best students from around the world, and we were each selected for our various strengths.  My degrees will carry the same weight as theirs.
Sixthly, stay organized.  There will be a lot of paperwork and busywork on top of school, but moms are great for this.  Mine loved looking up early scholarships and keeping track of deadlines.
Seventh, Presidential scholarships.   Many universities have these, and students are selected around November.  Look into these.  My friend got a full ride out of it.
Eighth, early admission.   Admissions are on a rolling basis.  Spots fill up quickly.  My school accepted 6,000 students out of 50,000 applicants last year.  It's tough; get in first.
Ninth, don't play the bidding game.  Don't name other schools in your essays.  Save that for when schools compete over you and entice you with the better financial aid package.  Until you're in, UDub doesn't care that you were accepted early admission into Northwestern and Dartmouth.
Tenth, diversity.  Know how you contribute to your community/what role you play in it.  Are you defined by geography, race, religion, ethnicity, ideology, income, refugee status and how has this role in your community shaped you? (This was one of my questions.) What can you contribute to campus diversity?  What makes this college a good college for you?  Tough but common questions. 
Eleventh, contribute to your university.  Contribute by learning a less common language, like Turkish.  Express interest in internships and study abroad.  Want to join the Peace Corps or take on a service project?  Talk about it.  Contribute to their stats by being a community college transfer student or 2nd generation alumnae or having a year's worth of AP credits.  Take part in a creative arts in prison project with the Soc department and use your drawing or writing skills.  We all stand out in some way.
Twelfth, visit campus and communicate.  If it's the right fit, you'll feel it.  If it feels wrong, don't convince yourself otherwise.  While you're there, stop in and talk to a financial aid advisor and admissions counselor if you can.  Talk to your tour guide.  I emailed my admissions counselor (you can find them on the university website) before being accepted concerning my application because I have an incredibly common name and wanted to ensure they hadn't mixed up my materials, and asked when the soonest I might get a response would be, and putting a face and polite tone with my app didn't do me any harm.
Thirteenth, visit a college fair in high school.  Talk to the reps.  Steal pens.  They might waive your app fee.  You haven't done enough research until you know as much as they do about the admissions process. 
Fourteenth, express interest in leardership positions.  ResStaff, Student Gov, writer for the campus paper, Model UN, etc.  NHS will help you immensely here (I wasn't in it, but almost everyone I know was).  If you're an Eagle Scout or Girl Scout with a Gold Award, you've about got it made.
Fifteenth, CommonApp.  Numerous universities use this.  It uses one general app for all colleges you're applying for.  Individual essays come later.  It's faster and easier.  Use it.
Finally, you'll be stressed out, but it's the least stressed out you'll be in the next ten years.  It's not the "real world" yet but living on your own is as abrupt as it is fun.  Keep your head on.  Stay on the Redwall forums.  Hold on to high school friendships – it gets difficult with time.  Don't buy a fake ID.  Keep an open mind.  Get ready to make lasting, meaningful friendships.  You'll have a blast.   

I know I just threw a lot at you and took up a lot of space.  This is what I can think of right now.  I hope I helped you in some way, Sky.  You're all bright, clever people with your heads on soundly (and I like your brand of weird).  Please keep us updated on applications and acceptance letters!

Mhera

I can't speak for Sky, but your post helped me get a better idea of what applications require. Thanks! (I'm a high school junior as well.)

Skyblade

Oh my goodness! I'm with Mhera here; that is so helpful! Thank you for typing up that long post, must've taken some time. We appreciate it, our dear college friend :D

I do try. I'm at the top of my class and I'm involved in quite a few extracurriculars (music, and writing, and technology, etc.). I just don't know how well I can stand out in the crowd of extremely qualified students applying with me! It's tough. I know it's not good to compare, and I try not to, but to be honest I can get discouraged when I see that there's such perfect people out there who are varsity captains and doing hardcore competitions and such :-[

Quote from: Banya on January 30, 2015, 08:12:15 AM
Fourthly, research your school.  Know what they're known for and talk about how that interests you, whether it's building solar cars or studying an uncommonly taught language like Korean or Armenian.

I speak Korean, because it is my native language. Hee ;D

Mhera

Don't worry! My application will make yours look fantastic! ;D (Actually, you'll make your application look fantastic. Top of the class, good writer, extracurriculars, etc.) The only things I've really got going for me right now are my grades and PSAT score.

As for comparisons, I'm inclined to say that to a certain extent they're a good thing. For example, there is no way I would have gotten an A in chemistry if I hadn't been under the impression my brothers did as well. Nothing wrong with friendly competition or looking at standards others have. On the other hand, if it crosses into the realm of being cutthroat or gets depressing then yeah, stay away.

And nobody's perfect. Perfect is a myth.

Russano the Wise

Yeah, great post, Banya! I'll be applying to college in a couple of years and that was an interesting read.

As for what is my favorite class, it would definitely be the science related subjects. I'm taking chemistry this year and a geology class at my local community college and they are both really fascinating subjects. Can get a little confusing sometimes (especially chemistry) but I'm really enjoying them.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Skyblade

Quote from: Mhera on January 31, 2015, 04:14:05 AM
Don't worry! My application will make yours look fantastic! ;D (Actually, you'll make your application look fantastic. Top of the class, good writer, extracurriculars, etc.) The only things I've really got going for me right now are my grades and PSAT score.

As for comparisons, I'm inclined to say that to a certain extent they're a good thing. For example, there is no way I would have gotten an A in chemistry if I hadn't been under the impression my brothers did as well. Nothing wrong with friendly competition or looking at standards others have. On the other hand, if it crosses into the realm of being cutthroat or gets depressing then yeah, stay away.

And nobody's perfect. Perfect is a myth.

Thanks, Mhera! ^.^ Very good points there, except for the thing you said about yourself. I'm sure you're very, very qualified! ;)

Skyblade

Revive! :)

New poll up. What are your schools like? Do you like it? Why or why not?

Banya

I love my university!  I love upper-level classes; I'm taking all 300- and 400-level classes now and I like them much more than 100-level courses.  I also love our beautiful campus, the amazing surrounding city, and that everything I need is within walking distance.  My college town is the 5th happiest city in the U.S., according to a study taken last year, and that's hardly surprising.  My school is huge, diverse, and there are so many opportunities and so much to do here.  I could go on forever about my school.

Mhera

QuoteQuestion:What type of school do you go to? Select the answer that most applies to you (Wow, I sounds like a standardized test)

No, not quite a standardized test. You didn't ask if we feel like our school has adequately prepared us, if we feel safe there, or if we have positive connections to an adult (they asked those on the ACT).

Anyhow, homeschooler here. I like it. Besides the usual stuff people talk about like religious and political freedom, not being in a poor social environment, statistically smarter on average, etc. when it comes to the advantages of homeschooling, the flexibility it provides is something my family has really appreciated. There have been years where it's made more sense to take summer vacation in the late winter/spring, and so being able to do that has been wonderful. And then to quote my dad, "If your mother'n I had put you kids in public school we'd be under insane pressure to medicate you." Thanks Dad :P. But it's true. Homeschooling has let us learn any way that's best for how our minds work. I tend to either zone out or get fidgety during lectures, so my mom just throws textbooks at me and lets me teach myself. My brother studies best in the middle of the night so he did his physics lessons at 1 A.M. Maybe not the best practice for the real world, but adjusting for whatever idiosyncrasies we each have has allowed us to learn the material better which is the ultimate goal.

All in all it's worked well for my family.

Wylder Treejumper

Public. Boy, I wish I were homeschooled. I've been trying to get back to homeschooling ever since I left it. Let me tell all you homeschoolers out there: You have it easy. Public school is not about learning: it is about making teachers happy. Do they care if you understand? The good teachers. How many good teachers have I had? In 5 years of middle and high school, I can name 5. School takes up way too much time and also, its stupid. Plus, there are too many people. So yup, I'd stay away from it. Especially if you are in the category of students known as the "Gifted and Talented". All it will do is drive you insane.

Well, that's my vent for the day. ::)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.