News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall MUCK

Started by Magramba, July 31, 2015, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magramba

Hey guys,

Shameless promotion for Redwall MUCK here. You can find the site at http://rwmuck.limitless.org/rwmuck/ . There's a button right on the front page, but if you're serious about playing, I recommend reading the help page here: http://rwmuck.limitless.org/rwmuck/content/getting-started and here: http://rwmuck.limitless.org/rwmuck/content/clients . A good client (the second link will give you some suggestions) will make things much nicer/easier for you as you're getting your bearings. I'm online every single weekday from 8:30-5:00 PM EST, and there are plenty of other people that play as well. Peak times right now start to pick up around 1 PM EST and go until near midnight. If you need help, please let me know and we'll get you sorted.

What is it, anyway? It's live roleplay in the Redwall universe. It's sort of like a chat room, sort of like a text-based adventure, and a lot of fun. All the canon Redwall areas have already been built for you to play in, and there tons of extra areas created by the players over the years (you can even make your own if you'd like). When you connect, you'll start as a guest and be given the opportunity to go through a tutorial and set up your character. You can make as many characters as you'd like, but I recommend starting with one and growing from there. If you'd like to look around first, you can do that without actually creating a character. Just type 'portal' and you'll be taken to a room that lets you warp around the MUCK.

At times in the past we've had a lot of activity, and at times in the past we've had hardly any. Right now we have a good amount, with the characters connected each day hitting around the mid-twenties at once during peak hours. If you like to RP in a Redwall setting, and the forum pace is too slow for you, check us out. The Muck has been around for 20 years, and I've been around it for close to ten, and even when I leave, I always end up coming back. It's that good, folks. Thanks for reading.

rrrrr

CoOol...:D

How do you make the text bigger? My eyes hurt :P.

I created a character, now what do I do?
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Magramba

Hi! Sorry for the delay. If you need help getting technical things worked out, the best thing to do is to go to the link I gave that lists Muck clients and download one of those. The webclient you get to from the main page is not the best, and if you download your own, you have much more options for adjustment. Once you create a character, you should page someone else or go to where they are and start RPing!

To show the find list and see who's online (and where they are), type 'f'. To say something to the room OOCly, just type 'rp Whatever you want to say'. To page someone specifically, no matter what room they're in, type 'p Name = Your message'. To pose ICly, type 'pose (or just : ) whatever you want to pose'. If you page a player, they'll be able to give you more help.

Madison

Wise fwom your gwave!

Yes. The muck. Yesyesyes.

Mag has tried to explain it, but it's one of those weird things where explaining it makes it sound much more difficult than it really is. Sort of like The Matrix. Instead of telling you how to use it, I'll tell you about my experiences with the MUCK itself, and if you like the sound of it, get in touch with me and I'll help you, give you a guided tour of it, that sort of thing. :)

While it's not too busy lately, the MUCK is probably the most fun I've had on the internet. It's more than just RP, as you can build settings, interact in real time and build big ol' plots. You can play as many characters as you want. As it's in real time (in a way, rather than by post), there aren't just big events but also day-to-day happenings. I always tended to play a kind of character that you wouldn't expect to go on a big adventure, like my namesake Madison the squirrelmaid who would potter around the kitchen, get drunk at meals and generally cause havoc for the people in charge. :P The day-to-day aspect is the best. When I was younger I got so involved that I had a much stronger emotional response than to a book, game or movie. You might be the Abbey recorder, and the Abbot might come as ask you to perform a reading at an occasion. You might be a dibbun trying to evade the grown-ups at bedtime. Good stuff!

Of course, it's not just the daily life. There's journeys and battles and bad guys just like in the books, should you and the other people choose to do so. So it can be as grand or as routine as you want.

One of my favourite aspects, which I've never heard anyone mention, is that because you're making the characters, you can adapt them from other things. For example, while there's no explicit magic in Redwall, I once made an otter based on Korra from the Avatar series. No waterbending, sure, but she was tall, strong, similar in character, and instead of being the Avatar, she was the Taggerung. Ties in well, huh? :D

Honestly the muck is so good when at its best that it took me until this year to get into MMORPGs as I was bemoaning their lack of story. :D

Get in touch if you're interested!