Tougher Vermin?

Started by Vilu Daskar, December 24, 2015, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Vermin are kind of the personification of your grunts in a gang in some city, or people in team rocket. They try hard, but they're cowards and evil and, sometimes, not that strong.

It's also worth noting that by the end of the series, maybe the villains weren't necessarily getting weaker as much as the heroes got stronger?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Heroes rarely seem to get stronger unless the point of said character's arc is (blank becomes a warrior). Usually the villains can be seen deteriorating by the end of the book, killing eachother and going insane with paranoia.

Captain Tammo

Fair point, fair point. I guess that's part of the villain's character arc, though.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Krantor the Brutal

Quote from: Ashleg on October 03, 2017, 12:48:18 AM
Heroes rarely seem to get stronger unless the point of said character's arc is (blank becomes a warrior). Usually the villains can be seen deteriorating by the end of the book, killing eachother and going insane with paranoia.

Does this mean Redwall has some kind of spell that attracts villains but also makes them insane?
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Ooh. Fascinating.
And also horrific.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Abbess Germaine did it...

Wylder Treejumper

I was going to say Abbess Geminaya. She was one strange old mouse.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

Krantor the Brutal

I was thinking it was Martin, after all, he is the one who haunts everybeast...
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 06, 2017, 02:31:25 AM

Geminya was never an abbess. She was just Sister Geminya.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Who is the Abbess that founded Redwall?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maudie

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 06, 2017, 02:53:01 AM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 06, 2017, 02:31:25 AM

Geminya was never an abbess. She was just Sister Geminya.

I'm not the only one who remembers things wrong!

*Victory dance.*

I would agree that Redwall has a certain appeal to villains. It's a big, strong fortress full of lots of good food and potential slaves. It's never really been successfully breached before and that also lends a glory to the capturing of it.

But then, most of that also applies to Salamandastron. But then Salamandastron is also inhabited by fighters, sooo...

Eh, I should cease my ramblings. ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

Yeah, and when have we ever heard about Salamandastron food, eh?
Take Redwall. They've got the stuff.