Names and words, their origins and uses.

Started by The Skarzs, February 16, 2016, 04:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Apparently they didn't.  At least, not in the version I have.

alexandre

I math class the other day, there was a word problem involving a person named, "Eulalia." That was pretty awesome.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Aimless Gallivanter

im gay!!!!!!

Jetthebinturong

As mentioned by Killconey. Asmodeus is typically called Asmodai though.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

MatthiasMan

The first part of Dannflor Reguba's name, Dann, is a Hebrew baby name for judge.  The next part, flor, is Latin for flower.

So is there any relation to Reguba being a "judging flower"? I've started researching other Redwall names, and I will update this thread on what I find soon.

Wylder Treejumper

I can enlighten you folks on Dryditch Fever. In older times, epidemics of various diseases would often occur in the summertime- often June-September, until frosts started killing the disease germs. These were usually some variation of fever, including malaria and scarlet or yellow fever. For example, yellow fever has symptoms which include fever, chills, sever head and body aches, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and weakness. In late stages, it causes spike fevers, jaundice, and multiple organ failure resulting in death. These are all common to Dryditch Fever. The name, then, would come from its summer occurrence, when dry weather caused the evaporation of water in the ditch. Epidemics were also especially common in times of drought, because there was not enough water to treat sicknesses well. This is a probable additional factor.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Interesting facts there, Wylder! Thank you.

Quote from: MatthiasMan on March 27, 2017, 05:46:34 PM
The first part of Dannflor Reguba's name, Dann, is a Hebrew baby name for judge.  The next part, flor, is Latin for flower.

So is there any relation to Reguba being a "judging flower"? I've started researching other Redwall names, and I will update this thread on what I find soon.
I don't recall anything that might suggest that. It's possible Brian had also made up the name.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm, Dannflor Reguba always reminded me of Dandelion Flower Rutabaga,  but I doubt that has any relation to the truth whatsoever.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Asmodeus is the name of the evil spirit in Tobit. (Book in the Apocrypha.)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Interesting. BJ certainly did want to emphasize that he was evil, didn't he? :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Cluny's name.
I never knew what "Scourge" meant until recently, but I had first become familiar with it as a villain name when I was little and read "Warriors" (the villain is a black cat named Scourge) and then in sixth grade when I found Redwall.
It means to "cause great suffering to" and as a noun means "whip"--Cluny does both of those things, his tail is a literal whip.

I found that interesting and it's a very fitting title for him.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: MatthiasMan on March 27, 2017, 05:46:34 PM

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on April 26, 2017, 12:35:03 AM
Hmm, Dannflor Reguba always reminded me of Dandelion Flower Rutabaga,  but I doubt that has any relation to the truth whatsoever.

Well, his full name is actually Dannflower Reguba, shortened to Dannflor because Rusvul "changed" it after his wife died. He didn't think that the word flower should be present in a warriors name, and he was extremely proud of his families warrior heritage...... And where'd the Rutabaga come from!?

In other news, I know the names of the throwing devices they used in Martin the Warrior for the javelins. With the given description from the books, likelihood is they were using what are officially called Atlatl's. Variants of these were used in many cultures, and consisted of two parts, the throwing section (typically a carved stick, or small block of wood), and the dart (often feathered, but in the case of Redwall, it would appear to be a javelin variant).
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

Yes, they were definitely based on Atlatls, but I don't think that Native American name would fit very well in Redwall. ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

Terra is Latin for earth or land, and mort is French for death, so Terramort =... Deathland? That is a pretty accurate description

Lutra might've come from Luter, which is Latin for otter

In old English, "Broc" means badger, so that could be why there are so many badgers with brock in their name.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine