Commentary on the Book Mossflower

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Mossflower.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

alexandre

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 17, 2016, 07:22:03 PM
Mossflowerremains one of my favorite all time, and it is the one that I probably read the most. There was a time when I carried it around in my backpack religiously throughout school, reading it over and over again.

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Someone should try to guess my favorite character from this book. Anyone. Take a guess. ;)

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

HOW DEAR YOU MENTION THAT FEATHERED FLUFFBRAIN!

Hickory

Ashleg

I-if I say anything bad about Her Royal Highness Tsarmina she'll have my head for sure!
Milady's great indeed, but I was referencing somebeast else...

...Here's a clue.
Who's the most handsome, amazing, awe-inspiring pine marten to ever step paw on this planet?
Don't you dare say Ublaz!

You can't spell awesome without him... ;)

Hickory

It's the one horde member from Mossflower, right? He was super unimportant.

James Gryphon

Ashleg was the horde's senior captain, and after he was gone his position became like a revolving door, so even though he didn't do much himself I'd think he was a little bit important.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Ashleg was more of an advisor, Cludd was the Captain.

James Gryphon

According to the Redwall wiki they had several 'captains' (admittedly of different levels of importance), but Ashleg was the most senior officer in the army besides the ruling family.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Flipping through the pages of my copy now, but Brian has his trademark elusiveness in effect as I look for details. Get back to you later.

belle

It was absolutely beautiful. It was the first book I read that had Martin alive and well in it. Of course, I loved him - who doesn't like Martin?
I delighted in the adventures, in the characters - Martin was great, Gonff and the other side characters were likeable, Lady Amber and Skipper were cool, Bella was wonderful, the babies were actually not annoying, and I loved Gingivere! Throughout the book, I pictured a golden, sunlight atmosphere.

Banya

@James Gryphon Could my previous thread about Mossflower be merged with this thread?

I loved this book because of the espionage in it. The events in Mossflower were exciting; Martin's journey was less so, but it brought Timballisto into the story. He's one of my favourite characters in the series, as is Gingivere.

alexandre

Quote from: Ashleg on September 19, 2016, 11:38:19 PM
HOW DEAR YOU MENTION THAT FEATHERED FLUFFBRAIN!

How ENDEARING  :o ;) Yes dear, mention dear Argulor

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine