Commentary on the Book Pearls of Lutra

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Pearls of Lutra.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

belle

Loved this book as a kid. As an 11 year old kid, it was alot of fun to get a glimpse into the life of a couple of Redwall character who seemed to be around my age; Tansy and Viola made the book one of my favorite Redwall books, though of course the rest of the book was great, too, with Martin the second, Grath Longfletch, Ublaz and whoever the male otter from Sampetra was who joined up with them - and seals! There were seals in that book - how cool is that?
Not to mention there was a greyish vermin character, Romsca, which is always cool.

alexandre

I love how it connects Mattimeo and The Long Patrol. There is Rollo and Auma from Mattimeo, then there is Tansy and Arven from The Long Patrol. I also noticed something about Rollo since I reread Mattimeo recently and am rereading Pearls right know. Rollo was solving riddles at a young age, and dealing with bird invaders, hard to rid of old habits :P O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 And Abbot Durral was awesome.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Captain Tammo

Quote from: alexandre on October 08, 2016, 05:50:12 PM
     I love how it connects Mattimeo and The Long Patrol. There is Rollo and Auma from Mattimeo, then there is Tansy and Arven from The Long Patrol. I also noticed something about Rollo since I reread Mattimeo recently and am rereading Pearls right know. Rollo was solving riddles at a young age, and dealing with bird invaders, hard to rid of old habits :P O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 And Abbot Durral was awesome.

I am actually in the middle of re-reading the Pearls of Lutra and it's pretty interesting! I had always thought that Tammo's journey and Matthias' journey were separated by a huge span of time, but really it was only a few generations! Pretty neat!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Maudie

I seem to remember that on the old forum it seemed like everyone hated Martin the Second. I never understood why. Would someone care to explain?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Eulaliaaa!

I don't understand either. He was a good character, yet no one seems to appreciate him.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

alexandre

He was the epitome of a Mary-Sue. He was too perfect from the start, but him being immune to Ublaz' stare, that really singled him out as more  of a Mary-Sue than the other Mary-Sues.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Imagine if they had just given him the pearls.
It wasn't like they made anyone who touches them all powerful or whatever. Ublaz would be happy with no harm done.

Eulaliaaa!

Oh my gosh, yes, he was immune to Ublaz's stare. That doesn't make him a Mary Sue. Matthias beheaded Asmodeus and was looking him right in the hypnotic eyes. Is he a Mary Sue?

And if Martin II was such a Sue, why wasn't he the one to kill the bad guy and throw the pearls into the ocean?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Maudie

The majority of Redwall warriors and heroes are Mary Sues, yet we still like them.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Groddil

alexandre

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on January 11, 2017, 04:18:51 AM
Oh my gosh, yes, he was immune to Ublaz's stare. That doesn't make him a Mary Sue. Matthias beheaded Asmodeus and was looking him right in the hypnotic eyes. Is he a Mary Sue?

And if Martin II was such a Sue, why wasn't he the one to kill the bad guy and throw the pearls into the ocean?

I believe he would have killed Ublaz, but he died from stepping on a poisonous snake first, purely by accident. Second, he probably would've thrown the pearls in the ocean or disposed of them by some mean or other just judging by his steadfast nobility shown throughout the book.
Quote from: Groddil on January 11, 2017, 05:06:23 AM
Quote from: Maudie on January 11, 2017, 05:03:19 AM
The majority of Redwall warriors and heroes are Mary Sues.

True, I guess, but the other warriors still feel more relatable, just like how people generally dislike Triss over other Sues as well (strangely enough, there enemies both came to similar fates).

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Feles

The reason Matthias wasn't on the same level is that Asmodeus' stare was working on him, the only reason that Matthias survived is because Martin's spirit helped him and gave the last last ounce of will to behead the snake.
As opposed to Martin II, who was just immune.
That said, I don't hate Martin II
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Jetthebinturong

I'm pretty sure Martin's spirit warns him not to stare into Ublaz's eyes and snaps him out of it. That being said, I haven't read it in ages, and I just had a fascinating lesson about false memories in psychology so yeah.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!