Commentary on the Book Rakkety Tam

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Rakkety Tam.

Plot Teaser:
From a region known only as the Land of Ice and Snow from across the Western Sea emerges Gulo the Savage, a vicious wolverine and his horde of a hundred white vermin who eat the flesh of their enemies. After murdering his father, Dramz, Gulo assumed control of his father's territory. However, only those who possess the Walking Stone may rule, and after his father's death, Gulo's brother, Askor, steals the stone and sails to the land of Mossflower Woods. Gulo pursues his brother with approximately a hundred flesh-eating white foxes and ermine under his command, little caring for any unfortunate woodlanders- or Abbeydwellers- who stand in his way.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Wylder Treejumper

Rakkety Tam remains one of my favorite all time, and it is the one that I probably read the most. There was a time when I carried it around in my backpack religiously throughout school, reading it over and over again. It is archetypal to me, a perfect example of what a Redwall book should be. Tam and Doogy were a great pair of main chars, they had the sort of rough camaraderie that I like so much in protagonist/deuteragonist sets (see Zootopia),the book had a lot of action and character interaction, there was both tragedy and celebration. The Long Patrol featured a large part (always a plus), and the final battle was uneven and uncertain to the last moment (at least, if you willingly suspended disbelief. Nobody ever believes that a book's main character is going to die and the bad guys win).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

MeadowR

** Be Warned: Contains Spoilers! **

On my re-read of this book, I found it hard to get really involved with at first, but then managed found a better flow later on (maybe I was reading it too tired, or so). I don't think it's the most imaginative of the books. There are a few nice little ideas in it, like having red squirrels in kilts!, and I quite liked the relationships and their contrasts between some characters, such as Yoofus and Didgety (sp) - Yoofus clearly being not the most honest of characters, yet still has this pleasant, well-meaning wife. The 'cannibalism' element was bold and gruesome!

I liked it, but a little lacking in some development and adventure against others in the series.

One thing I think I might have missed: What was it about the 'Walking Stone'? Was it mentioned at the beginning its relevance? I thought we might hear in the epilogue that the tortoise had something special attached to its shell or anything like that to show why it was so precious. Why were Askor and Gulo so keen to have it? What did I apparently miss/forget? If I didn't miss anything, what do you think its relevance was?
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Jetthebinturong

It was like a symbol of power in their country or something. The king possesses the Walking Stone - Askor stole it so Gulo couldn't be the proper king.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

MeadowR

Hmm, I guess that explains it enough on that level - thanks! I suppose we can only imagine how it became to be a symbol of power for the kings in the first place...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Maudie

Rakkety Tam was probably one of my favorite Redwall books. It had a lot of good songs and some really fun characters. I always liked the noble Rakkety Tam and the mischievous Doogy Plum, as well as the Badger lady (if I remember correctly) and the giggly ottermaid.

It also had one of the...maybe three? romances in the whole series. That's not why I liked it so much, just something interesting about it.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

a crumb

Brookflow was a downright pleasure whenever she had a spot in the book.

Melesme the Badger Lady is quite interesting. I can't think of any other Badger Lady we ever saw who was an elder when ruling. Cregga, Violet Wildstripe and Ambrevina were all young, or at least certainly far from old, in Cregga's case. She also, according to the Redwall wiki, only ruled for 27 seasons. That presents what I'd think is an interesting succession story.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on September 11, 2017, 03:13:11 PM
I liked it, but a little lacking in some development and adventure against others in the series.

I think I disagree there. I thought this entry in the series was one of the best! I think I've read it 3 or 4 times over the years now, and I know I'll revisit again in the future sometime! I still (kind of) remember the first bit of the poem...

Rakkety Rakkety Rakkety Tam,
The drums are beatin' broh (sp?)
Rakkety Rakkety Rakkety Tam,
Are ye marchin' off tae war?

A warrior from the northlands he came,
A buckler o'er his shoulder,
A claymour swinging at his side,
There's not a beast that's bolder!

Oh Rakkety Tam has sold his sword,
I scarce believe he's done it!
He swore an oath unto a fool,
Who took his word upon it!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Maudie

Yeah, that poem/song left an impression on me as well. I used to go around singing it in the heaviest Scottish accent I could muster. ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Scott McLamok

I love the song and rakkety tam is one of my favourites of all time
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Nadaz, voice of the host

There are 6 more stanzas to the song 3 for each book in Rakty Tam
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Steelinghades

One thing I've always felt was a bit bizarre about Rakkety Tam is generally Tam and the other squirrel--whose name seems to have slipped my mind--being mercenaries. This to me is very strange considering the characterisation of woodlanders in previous books and the simple fact of, what are mercenaries in Redwall payed? Brian Jacques said Redwall was a land of small settlements, no big cities, and it also seems to lack any large governing body; thus they don't have coinage, so what I wonder is used as currency in Redwall.

Krantor the Brutal

Interesting question.

My hunch is that they were paid food and shelter, as there are no indications of a place of buying things.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Ashleg