News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Mystery of the North South Path

Started by LT Sandpaw, March 02, 2017, 10:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krantor the Brutal

Quote from: Sanddunes on November 05, 2017, 09:04:42 PM
Do things move around or disappear in each story it almost seems like Brian the Illustrator forgets what he draws in the other books or he doesn't care
This a point that has been found to be true.  But it would be the illustrator's fault,  not Brian's. I think he had an idea what his world looked like.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Wylder Treejumper

^^I believe this is the case. Brian's geography seems mostly solid. Sure, there are some parts which are a bit inconsistent, but Redwall takes place over such a large area and time period that there's a lot of terrain flexibility. Overall, though, if Brian had actually drawn the maps himself I think the geography would make a lot more sense. As it is, the illustrators were all just that: illustrators. They took the minimum details and and used them to draw a pretty picture. Thus, scale and position varies wildly between maps, because they are less maps than symbolic representations of terrain. Unfortunately (or fortunately, actually) Brian was a writer and not a cartographer, so the actual details of his world remain locked away, only to be glimpsed at through his prose.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Also, whether or not we want to consider it, the maps are less important than the stories they pertain to.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Krantor the Brutal on November 06, 2017, 12:00:43 AM
Quote from: Sanddunes on November 05, 2017, 09:04:42 PM
Do things move around or disappear in each story it almost seems like Brian the Illustrator forgets what he draws in the other books or he doesn't care
This a point that has been found to be true.  But it would be the illustrator's fault,  not Brian's. I think he had an idea what his world looked like.

I didnt't explain very well but I was talking about the books because they are random at times but now I think about it it's not as bad as I thought

Krantor the Brutal

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 06, 2017, 02:19:24 AM
Also, whether or not we want to consider it, the maps are less important than the stories they pertain to.

Yes, true statement. However, it would good to have a map for the sake of reference.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Ashleg

The map is in your...imagination! Wooooo. Spooky.

Firestripe

At risk of being guilty of thread necromancy,  I once made a huge expanded redwall world map for the Golden Leaf Inn about 16 years ago.

I always treated the southeast sea as the lake, and I used the "salamandastron and the surrounding country" map as the base for scale and for clarity.  I think that map is the best of the bunch and a lot of the other maps can be justified to it.

One of the big left-right decisions I always came across was the differences between the maps in Loamhedge and Mattimeo.  Mattimeo has the old abbey due south, Loamhedge sort of places it southeast of the big inland lake (lake marl as some people call it).

I felt that the redwall map and riddler was always lacking for having left out Loamhedge and placing castle floret so close to the abbey.  I always thought, if it was so close then why did they have to take a boat and use the roaringburn current to get there.

anyway, here's a section of the middle and south of that old map that I had.  I'm considering re-drawing it for nostalgia's sake and maybe trying to do better with the loamhedge area and compromise between the two different ways it was displayed.

This was drawn when I was a pre-teen and scanned on a circa 1990's scanner, so forgive the quality.  The scale stated on the map is also WAAAY too large.  The south side of the top map connects to the north of the bottom map.

Granitfur