General topic for asking questions you don't want to start a thread for.

Started by Ashleg, April 18, 2017, 04:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

These questions can be answered by anyone who knows, but it likely won't be me.

Anyway, I have one.

Is it supposed to be multiplayer or is it story based? Can't find this info.

cryptopur

Hi Ashleg,
You'll see me make some distinctions here and in other places but here's the very first time I've said this anywhere out loud: there will be more than one Redwall game. :)
SO...answers login forward will be about the FIRST game, or episode, what we're calling The Scout.

The Scout is single player and story based.
It tells the tale of how a young mouse who is forced to flee to Redwall Abbey when the village of Lilygrove (which was seen in The Corsair's Last Treasure) is attacked by Sea Rats.

Also note that while we'll likely be a little coy in some of our answers today, we're working on a significant announcement video that we'll release soon and that'll answer additional questions.

Matthias720

Given the rich world and lore of the redwall series, how have you gone about crafting the world of the video game(s) to align with the source material?

Luftwaffles

Hello, cryptopur :)

I would be very interested in knowing what kind of modelling tools you are all using for designing the characters and locations in the game, as they look amazing.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

cryptopur

Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 06:03:06 PM
Given the rich world and lore of the redwall series, how have you gone about crafting the world of the video game(s) to align with the source material?

That's a great question, and a big one. We've delved into a lot of the various considerations on the video art discussions we've had, especially over the last year so I'd encourage you to look at our YouTube channel to se some of that and of course we'll be posting more of those.

But I'll tell you that there is a LOT to consider and because there are...um...inconsistencies from book-to-book sometimes there is no "right answer". A great example is the animals' size. The official answers on the Redwall FAQ is that they're as big as you imagine them to be. Which can work in the timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly world of a book where your mind's eye is very forgiving on the details, but in a visualization that's just not helpful. SO we've spent a lot of time trying o think through the implications of various decisions and the fans have been of immense value in this regard. We really try to air these questions to the public as much as possible to get feedback because we're searching for that experience where somebody sees a piece of art, or opens the game and they say "Ah! That's EXACTLY what I had in my mind!"

cryptopur

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 18, 2017, 06:10:49 PM
Hello, cryptopur :)

I would be very interested in knowing what kind of modelling tools you are all using for designing the characters and locations in the game, as they look amazing.

Hi there - so there are a lot of pieces to that but I'll give it a shot.
For character modeling we've bene using 3D Coat a lot which we really like. And those get animated primarily in Maya.
We're using a PBR pipeline for materials and textures (not sure I'm saying that right) which we think has a lot of untapped opportunity to be used in stylistic settings where it's typically held up for the high-realism stuff.
SpeedTree is making...well...trees and we're using World Creator for terrain. We were very excited for Gaia as a terrain tool for a while but in the end we found we couldn't seem to quite get the control we needed for level design so we moved away from that.

Quick add here: the playlist for these is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcojV30iYZWKR-gF7TFSrd59F_fej11Pe

Matthias720

Was it mandatory for everyone on staff to read the books before design work began?

Rosie Willowwater

Hi, cryptopur!  :)

Do you have an estimate on how long the game will be?

cryptopur

Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 06:32:28 PM
Was it mandatory for everyone on staff to read the books before design work began?

Yes, more or less. It'd be a lot to ask that everybody read all 22 books, but between us all I think all the books have been covered and we all keep chugging away. :)

Luftwaffles

What's the funniest part of the game to work on (if there's one that stands out in terms of enjoyability)?
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

cryptopur

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on April 18, 2017, 06:33:49 PM
Hi, cryptopur!  :)

Do you have an estimate on how long the game will be?

Hi Rosie - no we really don't and honestly I'm not even sure how I'd calculate an answer because it would vary so much depending on how you played it. It's like most adventure games where a speed run could be like 5% of the completionist runs. AN taking an average between those two seems fairly meaningless. So sorry - I don't know how I could even start to answer this one.

cryptopur

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 18, 2017, 06:37:34 PM
What's the funniest part of the game to work on (if there's one that stands out in terms of enjoyability)?

The funniest? that's an interesting question...
I'd have to say the rat dialog. Writing lines for the bad guys can be so entertaining at times, especially as they start to turn on one another. :)

Matthias720

Is there a complete collection of the series collectively in the Soma Games office?

cryptopur

Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 06:53:09 PM
Is there a complete collection of the series collectively in the Soma Games office?

We do!
I'd upload a photo...but I can't see how to do that. :(

Matthias720

Quote from: cryptopur on April 18, 2017, 06:57:32 PM
Quote from: Matthias720 on April 18, 2017, 06:53:09 PM

We do!
I'd upload a photo...but I can't see how to do that. :(

You could upload it to an external photo hosting site and link it using img tags.
[img]image URL here[/img]