"Run like a hare and fight like a Bear..."

Started by Tam and Martin, June 07, 2013, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonestripe

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 07, 2013, 08:16:42 PM
Well, if there are bears in the Redwall series, they would be HUGE! Redwall Abbey probubly would withstand an attack by one.

If there are they would be sized appropriately cause badgers are huge in the stories but if they were real life sized they could just kick the abby door down.  ;)
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

Izeroth

A long time ago, bears lived in England. I think it's entirely possible that bears used to live in Mossflower but, like their real-world counterparts, were hunted to extinction.

The Skarzs

What would possibly hunt a bear in Mossflower? Badgers would hardly seem a match for them, and even if there were wolves there would have to be a lot of them to take one down.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 07, 2015, 03:45:56 AM
What would possibly hunt a bear in Mossflower? Badgers would hardly seem a match for them, and even if there were wolves there would have to be a lot of them to take one down.

The beasts of Mossflower could have banded together to hunt them. With long spears, a group of warriors could easily have taken out a bear. (I'm assuming that the Bears aren't realistically sized)

The Skarzs

If my RP hadn't fallen to ruination, there would have been a bit of a demonstration of how I see how large and dangerous a bear would be in the Redwall world.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Banya

This is an interesting thought.  I'd be interested to see the role a bear would fill in the Redwall world.  When I consider it, I see a bear in a position not unlike Argulor's.  By that, I mean that I see a bear as a creature living in Mossflower Woods that is feared, revered, and generally avoided, lacks linguistic skills, and conveniently snags a few vermin for dinner.

The Skarzs

I don't think a bear would be very picky for whatever comes his way: bird, rat, hare, etc. I even think they'd be up to taking a bite on a badger.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

I think they would have to be of a size not much larger than a Wolverine to be a realistic character instead of a *scary giant monster with paws bigger than mice* and if they were realistically sized, I don't think a badger would be a sensible choice for prey, though one on one, a badger might win assuming the bear is too primitive to make use of weapons and Armour. A smart bear with weapons, maybe the comander of a hoard I think would be cool.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

To make for a good character, perhaps, but I think that may be too much of a change from its natural size.
Especially since the average European badger weighs 26 pounds and the average black bear is 240. Even the smallest bear type, the sun bear, averages about 120 pounds. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

It would, though I don't agree with the idea that it must be only a little bit bigger than the other characters to be 'realistic'.

If you're dying to have a smaller bear, one way that it could be done is to have a bear cub. Of course, it would grow larger and larger during the story, until it became too big for anyone to handle.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

If they grew too big for anybeast to handle then they would turn to killing them as babies or children. XP
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Perhaps they wouldn't know until it was too late, or they'd think that because they were there with it when it was younger it wouldn't eat them later.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 20, 2017, 12:53:30 AM
To make for a good character, perhaps, but I think that may be too much of a change from its natural size.
Especially since the average European badger weighs 26 pounds and the average black bear is 240. Even the smallest bear type, the sun bear, averages about 120 pounds. :P

Being Redwall is based in Europe (England) odds are it would be a brown bear which could get over a thousand pounds

Ashleg

Just make it a couple feet taller than the wolverine and we're good.