(not) Just another petition

Started by Groddil, April 11, 2017, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should James and Sierra be given the Abbot's Approval award?

Both James and Sierra should get the award.
12 (92.3%)
James, but not Sierra, should get the award.
0 (0%)
Sierra, but not James, should get the award.
0 (0%)
Neither James nor Sierra should get the award.
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Groddil

Yes, yes, I know that the Forum Council isn't a thing anymore, but this needs to be a thing.

Remember how we agreed Staff should be allowed to earn awards?

Well I think that two certain administrators have done more than enough for us. James has taken money from his own pocket to create a whole nother forum for us, while Sierra is one of the main reasons we've got the OG Forum back. So let's give them Abbot's Approval!

The Skarzs

If an award is to be given to staff, then it must be the members who appoint it! I agree, they have gone above and beyond what most of us have been willing or able to do.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Is there an "I am indifferent" option? :/

Groddil

You can't exactly be indifferent, unless you just don't vote. ::)

They (or only one of them) either get an award, or they don't. There is no middle ground.

Cornflower MM

Matthias should also get it. I didn't mention this in my comment because it wasn't so relevant to the poll but he should. He's always gone above and beyond for us all, and kept us troublemakers in line very well long before James and sierra came back.

Groddil

I'll put up a Matthias poll after this one's done. Editing it now would be a pain.

James Gryphon

I thought I'd offer my thoughts here in a place where everyone could see them conveniently.

I appreciate the attention and acknowledgement that some of us are getting. Being a staff member feels like a thankless job sometimes, and it's hard to resist the urge to accept that validation when it comes.

That said, as a general rule I'm against public staff awards, and have been since the beginning.

One reason why I hold this belief is because I think the staff wearing what have been accepted and acknowledged as staff-given awards is self-congratulatory. This is not quite the same context as the usual situation where I have argued this belief, in that this thread appears to be an initiative furthered by the members, rather than the product of a staff discussion, but the association with the regular award is still there.

Secondly, I subscribe to a belief in the equality of the staff. That's not to say that what every staff member has done on the forum is equal; clearly some people are more active here day to day than others, and have necessarily been more involved in the things that have happened. That's also not that there isn't an authority structure or that some staff members' thoughts and decisions aren't given higher weight than others, within the staff. However, to the community we seek to present a united front. The staff are a unit, having each other's backs, and I think it is important to be acknowledged in that light.  A staff member accepting an award has the connotation to me that he is considered more valuable than another staff member, and I'm afraid that undermines the team spirit that I think has been critical to our success.

Finally, the fact of the matter is that nobody got to the staff (with the possible exception of yours truly) without being great. Their contributions are thus a matter of opportunity, not ability, and I feel it makes no sense to give someone an award for a factor that is outside of their control, if someone else would have done just as well in the same position. And if we acknowledge and even take for granted that everyone on the staff is good, then where is the further need for commendation?

So, while I sincerely thank those who are interested in adding to my signature, I have to say that I am inclined against the notion of me or any of my partners receiving awards for our service.
« Subject to editing »