News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Graves.

Started by Matthias Martin, December 18, 2011, 12:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 12, 2014, 06:25:41 PM
It should be big enough; abbeys are the size of small castles.
But haven't you seen some of the pictures of Redwall Abbey? It doesn't appear to be that large. And, even if they did have a heck of a ton of room, things could get pretty crowded over 22 books.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Kitsune

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 13, 2014, 11:42:42 PM
Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 12, 2014, 06:25:41 PM
It should be big enough; abbeys are the size of small castles.
But haven't you seen some of the pictures of Redwall Abbey? It doesn't appear to be that large. And, even if they did have a heck of a ton of room, things could get pretty crowded over 22 books.
Those were just the artist's interpretations of Redwall. All of the drawings look similar probably because Brian described Redwall to the artist, and they looked at past pictures and drew it to be a similar size. Also, it probably isn't supposed to show much detail, just where Redwall is in comparison to landmarks of the story. Brian might have not liked this small version of the Abbey, but if it was a good picture then he might have just gone with it. Or maybe he liked the small Abbey. Maybe this should be a separate topic... (How Big was the Abbey?)

Ungatt Trunn

@Plugg: Still, Redwall dosn't seem to be THAT large in the books. It dosn't really give the inpression of it being big in your imagenation when reading any Redwall book.
Oh, and that sounds like an intresting topic, "How big is Redwall Abbey?". I might start a topic like that...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

I agree with Plugg. They might not mention a lot of Redwall's size exactly but you can notice a few things that would make it  large like for example: The pond, The hue tree Fwirl climbs inside Redwall in The Taggerung and the big orchard.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

MeadowR

It's an interesting question about graves. Obviously several had their tombs and special places they were buried. How about all the other goodbeasts in the abbey, for example, maybe there was a special area that was quite like a graveyard. Shame one wasn't mentioned at any point, could've been quite disconcerting. You would think that these appreciative creatures would want their friends and families buried near the abbey and maybe not just here, there and everywhere. St Ninians seemed like a church that might have had a graveyard? Is that mentioned? If that did, even if the book was different to the later, it could suggest graveyard areas could exist. I'm just rambling now! :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Shade

Good point, Saint Ninians had a graveyard. It the book it mentions Cluny perching on a grave stone at one point. I would imagine that would be the place where most were buried before it was destroyed in TPOL.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Tam and Martin

But then they had to be buried somewhere else after it was burned.

willruth

The Graveyard could have survived?? ???

Shadowed One

Quote from: Lutra on December 24, 2011, 11:45:03 AM
Does anyone gather that any of these graves have headstones to say who is there?  I don't think there is any mention of this, but it doesn't seem that the characters don't often revisit the graves of lost ones.
I think in High Rhulain it said Brinty had a headstone.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

321tumbler

I think it said Leatho Shellhound made a wooden effigy for him and cast it into the lake with flowers.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: 321tumbler on April 15, 2014, 08:44:27 PM
I think it said Leatho Shellhound made a wooden effigy for him and cast it into the lake with flowers.
Well, at Redwall they made him a headstone. Back at Green Isle, they did what you said they did.

321tumbler

The Skarzs

In Mattimeo, Friar whatshisname (I forget) had a burial stone, I believe.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Kitsune

Friar Hugo, I think.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.