News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall

Started by Captain Tammo, June 29, 2011, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on August 05, 2011, 12:25:31 AM
there is no explanation, and there won't be.

I disagree, there are many explanations as to why the ditch got there, and I'm certain there IS an answer, maybe it's mentioned on one of the stories, maybe we'll never find out. But there are individual explanations that are possible
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Hold up, mate. I meant no explanation for certain. And also, in all the books I've read, it is not mentioned, and some who've read them plenty more than me echo that statement. The explanations given by fans are labeled fandom, they're speculation, as you said.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on August 05, 2011, 03:23:38 PM
I meant no explanation for certain.

O sorry my bad, I just misinterpreted
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nightfire

I still think the ditch is a dried up stream. Anyway, this subject is about the whole of Redwall, not the ditch. The ditch isn't even part of Redwall!! I personally wonder about the gatehouse. In Redwall and Mattimeo is is portrayed as a gatehouse cottage where creatures can live, and then in Pearls of Lutra, which chronologically takes place right after Mattimeo, it is portayed as just a gatehouse with the abbey's records in it. And hat about the underground tunnels that the moles dug in Ironbeak's seige? They are never mentioned again after the epilogue of that book.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It was in Mattimeo where the gatehouse was portrayed as a cottage. In High Rhulain, a family of dormice lived there. In the rest of the books, various other creatures held abode.
Probably just not relevant for another Redwall tale, so Brian left them as a mystery and unconcern.

Nightfire

Hmm. What about the tunnels dug underground by the moles during Ironbeak's seige? It says in the epilogue that they are used later on as an underground winter system, but they are never used by the Redwallers again, or even mentioned.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

That's what the last line I posted was about, I just didn't state that it was.

Nightfire

What about the few Redwall books that began in winter, like Rakkety Tam? The tunnels would have been great to use then.

Captain Tammo

In the redwall cartoons, the gatehouse is off to the side of the gate itself, but shouldn't it be inside the main gate?

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I don't get what you mean. The gatehouse is to the north of the main gate against the wall, not reaching to the ramparts.

Captain Tammo

I always thouht the gatehouse was IN the main gate. I got the "build your own redwall" kit when I was littler and it was inside the main gate, not off to the north of it

Nightfire

I really want that Build your own Redwall Abbey kit. I can't find it nywhere in the US stores though, and I am not allowed to order stuff online. :(

Captain Tammo

It was really neat, but it was all thin cardboard and never really stayed together, which made it hard to play with. But it gave me an AMAZING visual of the abbey and where things were. As far as if it was worth it or not? I'm not really sure. I paid $40 US dollars for it and it just sat there a lot... It had it's pros and cons I guess

winifred

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 29, 2011, 05:22:34 PM
hey guys, I've been wondering, what's the history behind the ditch in front of redwall?  ??? I'm thinking it was from building and landscaping parts of the abbey?

What do you think?
I think it was put there for the sole pourpose of the vermin they always go for the ditch it helps in alot of plots.I also really want the build your own redwall abbey but hav'nt seen it anywhere? :(
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Captain Tammo

I had to get it online. But back to my other question, the kit showed the gatehouse IN the main gate. That's always what it sounded like in the books too IMO. It seems only the cartoon is different.