Redwall board game - Work In Progress

Started by NovaNocturne, May 07, 2017, 09:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovaNocturne

So I've been working off and on a board game that one might find in the world of Redwall. I wanted to share some of what I have done so far.
The game is much like a type of chess, or checkers. I'm still working on the rules and board, making sure it is reasonable and flows well. Testing takes a while X_X

Here are the game tokens. They may or may not be used for the final iteration.
Spoiler
[close]

The Skarzs

Very cool.
I can tell the badger, mouse, hare, and squirrel, but what are the other three?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Matthias720

Ashleg

NovaNocturne

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 07, 2017, 02:43:08 PM
Very cool.
I can tell the badger, mouse, hare, and squirrel, but what are the other three?

Mouse -- Mole
Hedgehog -- Squirrel
Otter -- Hare
Badger

MeadowR

These look great ~ well-considered 'simplified' appearance for game tokens. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Jetthebinturong

Would it not make more sense to have one set of pieces be woodlanders and the other "vermin?"
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

Hey, that's a really neat and interesting concept.

Keep it up, mate. Flesh it out and I'm sure it will be amazing :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

NovaNocturne

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on May 07, 2017, 05:32:21 PM
Would it not make more sense to have one set of pieces be woodlanders and the other "vermin?"
Not quite. Having just woodlanders will make sense once the full game is available. ^^
And the good thing is there are going to be three to four ways to play as well.
One is super simple, for quick games. The next two to three versions progressively expand on the mechanics and functions of the game into a more intense and extensive experience.

(one version would be easier played with physical pieces and a game board, whereas the others would probably need to be made into digital games so the mechanics don't have to concern the player.)

Captain Tammo

Any chance we could take a look at those game rules, Nova?? We'd love to see them!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

NovaNocturne

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 10, 2017, 08:02:38 PM
Any chance we could take a look at those game rules, Nova?? We'd love to see them!

I'm still developing them. But I can let you all see a small demo board I've built.

Captain Tammo

hmmm, looks like it could be pretty neat! Once you get all the rules down, you should reach out to the artists on the forum or something them draw you up some tiles and all that!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

NovaNocturne

I would love input on the art, but I want to try doing it all myself if possible. ^^

This game is being designed to have many ways to play. The simplest way, you can play quickly, and is good for learning the basics. You can learn more and add more of the complicated rules as you go along. Once you are to a point you are comfortable with the basic play, you can then add a third player, who can act as the "Warlord" (a huge bag of details I'm not quite ready to open yet haha).

I can give you the most dumbed down basic style of play for two players here. The base of the game is based off a couple versions of "The Royal Game of Ur" one of which you can try out at this link to get a sense of the game:
https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php
http://www.kongregate.com/games/liamlime/the-royal-game-of-ur
http://www.novelgames.com/en/ur/

Spoiler
Simplest version Rules:

• Each player has their set of creature tokens.
  • Each player's goal is to travel on a quest to Salamandastron, then back to Redwall.
  • The first player to get all of their creatures to Redwall is the winner (in the basic version)
  • All woodland creatures enter the board at the Mossflower woods tile nearest the Salamandastron side of the board. (following the direction of the red arrows on the preview gameboard)
  • Badgers and Hares enter the board at Salamandastron.
  • You cannot move any creature that enters the board at Salamandastron until one of your other creatures gets to Salamandastron.
  • Players take turns rolling a 4 sided dice to move their woodlanders onto the board.
  • Moves cannot be divided between two creatures and you must use the full amount of moves as rolled.
  • The side immediately closest to you will be your safe zone. Your opponent does not ever enter the side opposite them.
  • You can stack up to 4 of your own creatures on a square at any one time.
  • If you land on an opponent's creature, their creature is sent back to their starting point, unless they are on a safe house square.
  • Each square has specific traits. These are the basic versions of those traits:
  • Safe house squares are red. If you land a creature on a safe house, you get an extra roll this turn.
  • Both players may have creatures on a safe house square up to a total of 4 at a time.
  • Forest squares are green. Squirrels left on Forest squares allow other creatures movement, with no point spent from the dice roll of the player who owns the creature.
  • Water squares are blue. Otters left on Water squares allow other creatures movement, with no point spent from the dice roll of the player who owns the creature.
  • Plains squares are yellow. Hares left on Plains squares allow other creatures movement with no point spent from the dice roll of the player who owns the creature.
  • Mountain squares are gray. Moles left on Mountain squares allow other creatures movement with no point spent from the dice roll of the player who owns the creature.
  • Bramble squares are brown. Mice left on Bramble squares allow other creatures movement with no point spent from the dice roll of the player who owns the creature.
  • Each creature token is designed to show which type of square corresponds to the bonus they provide.
  • Squirrels - Forests
  • Otters - Water
  • Hares - Plains
  • Moles - Mountains
  • Mice - Brambles
  • The two odd creatures out are Badgers and Hedgehogs. The following is their basic function:
  • Badgers cannot be passed by any creature, even the player who owns it, once on the board.
  • If you can land on an opponent's badger directly, you can send it off the board to clear the way again.
  • Hedgehogs cannot have creatures stacked on top of it. Any creature, even those by the same player who owns the hedgehog, will be sent back instead of the hedgehog they landed on.
  • Hedgehods can stack on top of other creatures on the same square, which provides them protection from being sent back to the start.
  • If creatures are stacked on a tile, they must exit the tile from top to bottom of the stack.
[close]

Captain Tammo

Nice! Thanks for sharing it, this is awesome!

NovaNocturne

I've finished the game board and pieces!

Spoiler

[close]