News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Romance in Redwall

Started by Maudie, October 04, 2017, 05:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

I read over the thread, remembered something, continued reading, and now I'm not bothering to go back to find the post so this makes sense because it's morning and I'm lazy.

Someone mentioned something about whether or not the Abbey order took vows of chastity, and I don't think so. A lot of older couples with Dibbuns pop up in the series, although they're not strictly Sisters or Brothers I think. (Speaking of Dibbuns, where the heck do the majority of them come from? There isn't nearly enough couples. Is staying together a rare thing in Redwall? Or are the parents not mentioned and they just dump their kids to the Badger Mum to be raised and a few don't and therefore are weirdos? Are there really that many orphans wandering around in Mossflower?)
Anyway. Back to my point. In Doomwyte (I may not be remembering correctly, haven't read it in ages, don't jump me) at the end,
Spoiler
don't most of them end up together? The black otter and the . . . Skipper? Those other people? Pretty sure one of them in the books ends up the Abbess and she had a husband and a kid. I loved that end scene, just 'cause it was so different 'cause it showed all the couples and how happy they were and their cute little kids.
[close]

The Skarzs

Yeah, that's right. There were a lot of couples in that book. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Redwall #23:
Redwall Abbey - the Garbage Can for Woodland Children

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

It would be explained in that book.

Grond

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 30, 2017, 02:50:29 PM
I read over the thread, remembered something, continued reading, and now I'm not bothering to go back to find the post so this makes sense because it's morning and I'm lazy.

Someone mentioned something about whether or not the Abbey order took vows of chastity, and I don't think so. A lot of older couples with Dibbuns pop up in the series, although they're not strictly Sisters or Brothers I think. (Speaking of Dibbuns, where the heck do the majority of them come from? There isn't nearly enough couples. Is staying together a rare thing in Redwall? Or are the parents not mentioned and they just dump their kids to the Badger Mum to be raised and a few don't and therefore are weirdos? Are there really that many orphans wandering around in Mossflower?)
Anyway. Back to my point. In Doomwyte (I may not be remembering correctly, haven't read it in ages, don't jump me) at the end,
Spoiler
don't most of them end up together? The black otter and the . . . Skipper? Those other people? Pretty sure one of them in the books ends up the Abbess and she had a husband and a kid. I loved that end scene, just 'cause it was so different 'cause it showed all the couples and how happy they were and their cute little kids.
[close]

The dibbuns/kids appear to be communally raised- a system that appears to be similar to the one described in Plato's Republic. For the most part the dibbuns sleep together in the dormitories, go to school together, play, eat together etc... you don't really see any evidence of private family life for the most part. The only exception I can think of would be with Mathias, Cornflower and Mattimeo- they lived together as a family in the gate house and had their own private living quarters.  But otherwise than that all the other families seemed to live communally- i.e. their children slept in the dormitories and little evidence of private family life was present.

TBH its really only the gatehouse keepers and perhaps to some extent the cellar keepers who consistently throughout the entire series had what could be akin to their own private living quarters.

The Grey Coincidence

Uhum, I know this night seem a bit out of place buuuut:
Vermin call each other 'mate' a lot don't they? I know that its English for friend but has anyone considered that some of them are together? I mean... Those hordes need to come from somewhere.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Ashleg

I notice, though, that Mossflower creatures typically called their partner "wife" or "husband", even vermin. Not mate.

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: Ashleg on December 19, 2017, 05:30:40 PM
I notice, though, that Mossflower creatures typically called their partner "wife" or "husband", even vermin. Not mate.
Fair enough, but do we see many vermin couples?

The Skarzs

There was one case in The Sable Quean that the husband of a vermin was killed and the wife wanted revenge.
Swartt Sixclaw had a wife.
We know several others who obviously had partners, but they weren't present.

Don't forget that otters also commonly used "mate".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Grey Coincidence

Sigh... Now I shall wallow in the shame of my inatentive reading. XD

The Skarzs

It was a good idea, though. It's possible that some may be referring to each other that way because they are together, but evidence suggests it's more of an off-handed remark.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.