Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigoma

lol salamadastron is so epic! wish BJ had taken the time to wright about it lol

oh and mathias. dont u mean "facepaw" xD
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

As soon as the mysteries are revealed you will not pay as much attention to it. Better let it stand in a mist of mysteries with everyone paying attention to it.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Pearl

Quote from: Osu on June 25, 2011, 02:03:17 PM
And why badgers and hares? It makes sense, I suppose, that certain, special badger warriors would "feel the mountain's call," but why should the hares want to fight for/with them? Why not a hare lord, or a bunch of badgers?

Ah, all these unanswered questions. I love the mystery of this mountain!~ :D

I like the way you think. Hares for me, are the most fascinating cultural group that Brian Jacques wrote about.
The book Lord Brocktree  gives us a lot of details on the cultural ties for both groups to Salamandastron.  Many questions do go unanswered, or are answered with the "that's the way it always has been" solution. For the most part I accept that, after all, part of the fun of Salamandastron is the mystery.
There is a poem that Fleetscut recited in Lord Brocktee;  to summarize, hares of Salmandastron have always followed the law of the Badger Lords.
Hares certainly have the potential to hold leadership positions. King Bucko Bigbones is the most obvious example. He is self appointed, however, in Brian Jacques' world that isn't all that unusual. What I find interesting is the way he is viewed by hares loyal to Salamandastron.  In Eulalia!  There is Laird Bosie McScutta of Bowlaynee.  Laird may not be equal to Lord. There is a title of Laird, which falls just below baron.  Whatever the case is, Brian Jacques established  a hare gentry. I suspect it would be very likely for a hare Lord, or Lady to exist. Not at Salamandastron of course, possibly in the north or the highland region.

Osu

@Pearl - I think I love you. o_o The hares have always been a high point of interest for me.
It seems "this is the way it always has been and always will be, don't question the mystery" is the norm for Salamandastron, but I'm absolutely positive there are settlements of hares in the highland areas where there is a single ruler of some sort. They probably don't use "king" as a title, but a lord/lady of sorts surely exists...

Bucko called himself king, but it seemed to me the majority of the hares of the area were more interested in his challenge or were simply impressed with his fighting prowess - they are described at one point as sacophant, if I recall correctly. I would go out on a limb slightly and suggest that, while there was certainly a lot of interest from the Salamandastron hares, the only hares of his court truly loyal to Bucko himself were those that came down from the north with him. Fleetscut makes the point (for me) when he says something to the effect of a king of hares being ridiculous or unheard of. It's also worth mentioning that when all was said and done, most of Bucko's hares stayed back at Salamandastron to serve under Brocktree.

Bosie, on the other hand... Bosie interests me immensely, mostly because of his title and heritage. He says he was kicked out of Bowlaynee castle due to his appetite, and along with the title "laird" -- now a hare king doesn't seem so unbelievable, though, again, lord or lady is probably a more likely title. Fascinating stuff, as you say.

And of course, there's always the solution of hares and badgers being the biggest non-vermin in the area apart from otters, and therefore the best candidates for an organized fighting force.
I love the mysteries of Salamandastron. Love, love, love. Ahem.

Apologies for the giant post of pointlessness, folks! ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Captain Tammo

I think mr. Jacques meant for us to always wonder about salamandastron. If we always had all of the answers, what fun would that be?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 29, 2011, 12:32:41 AM
I think mr. Jacques meant for us to always wonder about salamandastron. If we always had all of the answers, what fun would that be?

As I said above.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 29, 2011, 12:48:53 AM
Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 29, 2011, 12:32:41 AM

As I said above.
O sorry my bad
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Deogolf

My favorite book in the whole series!

I think Mr. Jacques would tell us to put our creative caps on and get to work making up our impression of what Salamandastron. I've mulled it over for years and may get to it yet! A great setting to go crazy with!!

Captain Tammo

I wish the Long Patrol had a navy  :-\ that would've been awesome! It also probably would've come in handy with all of the sea rats that would sail away

Redwall Musician

They do get a navy, well kinda, in Rogue Crew.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Osu

Hahaha, "kinda" is right... now how on earth will they classify that for the future, I wonder? Does it count as a "navy," or something else entirely? XD

Also, I believe it is worth mentioning that in High Rhulain, Salamandastron has two ships by the end of the novel, both captained and maintained by hares. :)

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Osu on July 03, 2011, 03:49:18 AM
Hahaha, "kinda" is right... now how on earth will they classify that for the future, I wonder? Does it count as a "navy," or something else entirely? XD

Also, I believe it is worth mentioning that in High Rhulain, Salamandastron has two ships by the end of the novel, both captained and maintained by hares. :)

That is true. So why did they not have them in the rougue crew? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rougue crew happen after high Rhulain? If those ships sank in battle, then why didn't salamandastron get more?

Also I would like to add, could the greenshroud, when owned by salamandastron and the rougue crew, could that one ship really be considered a navy? Especially if it spends some of it's time on land?

Osu

Good point. I'm fairly sure they've gained ships at various times throughout the novels but it never seems to last. Violet sums it up in the Rogue Crew when she says hares have never been seagoing creatures - and this when the officers looked ready enough to get themselves a navy.

It probably doesn't count as a navy on its own, but surely it counts for something - it does "sail," after all. Haha, it's like the Redwall equivalent of a car. Now they can drive to Redwall! XD

Captain Tammo

Hahaha I wish I could drive to redwall!!!