News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

How Old Is Redwall?

Started by Ferdy and Coggs, December 31, 2011, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdy and Coggs

We all know Redwall has been around for a really long time, but precisely how long? What are your thoughts? Does it say in any of the books?
"We all have our thing, it's just what we do."

Favorite Redwall Book -- Mossflower
Currently Reading -- The Rogue Crew
Ferdy and Coggs -- Best Characters Yet

Superdreuzel

Well, you need to answer your question per book. In redwall, i believe it is already very, very old. At least 500 years in my i
Magination, but im probably very off
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

Melody

Well............................ It just said the ancient sandstones so I would think it was older than 500.

Rollo the Baby Bankvole

Well, the books seem to be set in a kind of medieval time-frame, so probably quite old.
I've read Mattimeo, Salamandastron, The Pearls of Lutra, The Taggerung, Triss, Eulalia!, Lord Brocktree, The Legend of Luke, The Bellmaker & The Long Patrol! xD
??Just close your eyes, the sun is going down, you'll be alright, noone

Skipper

i dont think its older than 500. simply because animals dont live aslong as humans so you have to try imagining it from an animals veiw plus it was only fully built in the legend of luke

Melody

I hate to say this but the abbey was only half built in the legend of luke, they were still working on the main building, and they were still building it in mariel of redwall.

Lutra

From the earliest mention of Redwall to the final story, we've probably only seen about a hundred years lapse of time (if that, even) given that animals--especially the mice--do not live very long lives.  I think we had another topic somewhere where we had discussed how long a "season" is and we thought it was like our typical four seasons a year.  4 seasons = 1 year   Even 20 seasons--many many for animals is really only 5 years--probably a good average for a lot of animals in the series to have survived, even to old age.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Melody

Brian once said on Redwall's 20th ann. that he had been writing for 40 seasons if this helps.

winifred

I dont want to think mathmaticly on our years because it just spoils it (as humans do) ;D but if I were a mouse or beast (which I am: winifred)I would like to think it at least according to beasts, Redwall is 500 years old!I dont like human terms to mess with redwall ;D unless it's when the're talking about,: if we (humans)could of fit in Redwall.  It says somewhere in the wiki redwall website.I'm just that sort of person where human terms spoil the book in my ("paticular")brain, sorry say what you like! :D ;) ;D
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Captain Tammo

There's no specific qoute from any of the books saying how old it is other than the classic "countless seasons" line. 500 years sounds somewhat right, I'd say enough to where there's very large gaps in many of the books that there are several seasons of peace. There's 22 books (I think). Sooooo I'd say about 250-500 years... Just seems like a fair number.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

redwallgurl

it says alot in the books one hundred years later or centuries ago or older than time so maybe like 1000 years but im not sure
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Skipper

actually it never says 100 years ago and i dont think it says century at all

mattimouse20

Centuries! tops! that's how old it must be. it was built in a very old part of the woods and there have been countless generations of wood landers living there with much history  inside as well.
just wait until I make my daring escape!

WildDoogyPlumm

In Doomwyte they say that Gonff is thousands of seasons dead and he lived during the building of Redwall.  So even if that was about 2000 seasons ago, it would be at least 500 years, if not more.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Skipper

Quote from: Melody on January 02, 2012, 12:10:08 AM
Brian once said on Redwall's 20th ann. that he had been writing for 40 seasons if this helps.
That unfortunately does not help, you see that was how long he was writing for not how old redwall is, and as i said earlier the most of the building was completed in the legend of Luke