News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Top Characters You'd Like to Smack

Started by Flandor, June 09, 2012, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flandor

We all know those characters.  The ones who maybe aren't bad guys, but that are so annoying to you that you'd just love to give them a good smack to the head.  The Jar-Jar Binks' of Redwall, if you will.

Here's my top picks:

1) Scarum (appears in Triss)

Here Mr. Jacques took the gluttonous hare stereotype and ran with it.  Scarum was a great example of a character with a very real flaw.  However, this flaw led him to drive me absolutely mad.  He was rude, selfish, completely oblivious, and such a ridiculous glutton.  I could barely stand to read about him.  I couldn't understand why Sagax and Kroova put up with him.  I'd have shoved him overboard.

2) Yoofus Lightpaw (appears in Rackety Tam)

Another example of a "good" character with such an annoying flaw, I hated him worse than Gulo the Savage. Yoofus was a thief who insisted on stealing everything that wasn't nailed down.  He may have had his redeeming points, but his overwhelming selfishness and kleptomania were too much for me.  I really disliked this guy.

3) Druwp (appears in Martin the Warrior)

Enough said, really.  The guy was wormy and cowardly and weak.

4) Swinkee (appears in Salamandastron)

Swinkee was the sand lizard who betrayed Mara and Pikkle to King Glagweb the toad when they were travelling through the dunes.  He talked a little like Gollum from LotR, speaking in the third person (if I remember right).  Either way, he was obnoxious and needed a good smack.  I'm reasonably sure everyone thought so.

5) Rusvul Reguba (appears in Marlfox)

I hated this guy.  Yes, his wife died.  No, that does not make the way he treated Dann excusable.  Seriously, he was ridiculously cruel to his own son and mean to everyone around him.  He seemed almost unrealistically heartless.  I couldn't believe he didn't receive more scorn from the other abbey-dwellers.

6) Gruven (appears in Taggerung)

Ok, who didn't want to smack Gruven? His travelling companions certainly all did.  He was a big cowardly baby who spent the whole book whining.  Urgh.  I know that was the point of his character but he sure was obnoxious.

I'm sure I'll think of more.  What're some of your guys' top annoying characters? List some reasons with them; that's much more interesting than just lists of character names :)
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

1. cynthia

2. Vitch

3. Scarum

4. Cluny
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

DanielofRedwall

What a perfect topic!

Mattimeo at the beginning of Mattimeo.
At the start he was an arrogant, spoiled and headstong idiot, basically. He was pretty awesome later on, though.

Vitch from Mattimeo
Never stopped complaining on the journey and constantly picked fights.

Yoofus Lightpaw from Rakkety Tam
As mentioned.

Celandine from Martin the Warrior
I know too many real-life people like her. She really gets on my nerves.

Gruven from Taggerung
As mentioned.

Log-a-Log Tugga Bruster from Doomwyte
A lying, stealing shrew who did not deserve the Log-a-Log title. Got what he deserved in the end.

Druwp from Martin the Warrior
As mentioned.

Burrbob and the other leverets at the start and end of Outcast of Redwall
They were rude and kept interrupting Rillbrook the Wanderer. Thank goodness they were only in the story for very brief periods of time.

More to come...
Received mostly negative reviews.

Skipper

1.Vitch, teased the slaves and wined like a baby when being challenged by the slaves.

2.Antigra, she was the mother of Gruven and was stubborn and annoying.

3.Jurkin, he was leader of the Dillypins and was in Taggerung, he was arrogant and rude.

4.Kurda, she was cruel,arrogant and was always ordering everyone about.

5.Ferdimond De Mayne, he was always making smart remarks to Doogy and it seemed that he thought he was better than him.

WildDoogyPlumm

1. Treerose (at the beginning of Mariel of Redwall).  She was bratty and stuck up and complained loudly whenever she wanted attention.

2. Yoofus Lightpaw (Rakkety Tam)  Seriously, you're going to let your friend fight a wolverine and 7 vermin alone and then lie about what happened?!?!

3. Log-a-Log Tugga Bruster (Doomwyte) Nobody likes him, he constantly yells at his son, and screams orders when he gets mad.  I think every Guosim in his tribe would love the chance to all smack him.

I'll add more when I think of more, preferably ones that haven't been mentioned.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Redwaller

Definitely Vitch and Druwp, and Swinkee too, and the newt that i forgot the name in Oucast of Redwall the one who tries to kill Sunflash!

Flandor

Tugga Bruster was just... evil.  He deserved far more than a smack.  And got it.

7) Dinjer & Assorted Squidjees (appear in Martin the Warrior)

Spoiled, obnoxious, and a little violent, the Squidjees and their ringleader Dinjer reached new levels of annoying.  Thankfully, Dinjer received not only a kick to the bottom, but also was cuffed about by his mother, Ballamum.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lutra

Boorab the hare from Taggerung.  I don't think he ever did anything outside of eat and sing...and I didn't like a lot of the songs either. ;)  Perhaps there's a reason he was on 15 seasons probation in the story.

I don't hold a high opinion of some of the hares in the stories--they actually come off as very rude.

For the "don't know when they should shut up" award - Folrig Streampaw and Ruddle Banksnout from Outcast of Redwall.  Two very VERY annoying otters...glad they were left behind for a majority of the story.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwallfan7

I know, I agree Lutra. I didn't like how Scarum ate the food that was meant for Sagax and Kroova. I wanted to slap him, seriously.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Mad Maudie

ooh that one evil log'a'log whats his name!
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Flandor

Quote from: Mad Maudie on June 09, 2012, 09:44:51 PM
ooh that one evil log'a'log whats his name!

That'd be Tugga Bruster you're thinking of, Maudie.

@Lutra: I forgot about Folrig and Ruddle haha.  Idk if they make my list of most slappable but they were pretty annoying.

And I agree about some hares, like Boorab, but he was a tiny bit endearing to me (I loved how Cregga kept him on probation forever haha).  But then there are the exceptionally honourable hares who throw the hare stereotypes out the window, like all the Long Patrollers.

Skipper

I seriously wanted to slap Scarum, especially when he escaped redwall to find Sagax, i thought Sagax and Kroova should have left him with the hedgehogs.

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Lutra on June 09, 2012, 09:34:18 PM
Boorab the hare from Taggerung.  I don't think he ever did anything outside of eat and sing...and I didn't like a lot of the songs either. ;)  Perhaps there's a reason he was on 15 seasons probation in the story.
I think Boorab did have a few useful roles in the story, like teaching Broggle to not stammer and helping Nimbalo feel at home in Redwall.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

redwallgurl

I'd like to slap dwopple soemtimes he is fust so annoying
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Lily

What a fun topic. I love Redwall, but in any series there are always characters who need a good slap.

1. Scarum. I'm currently re-reading Triss and, like Flandor, can barely stand to read about him. He is definitely my least favourite character in the whole series.

2. Dinjer. He's been mentioned before, but I'll mention him again because AUGH. ;)

3. Pretty much the entire Gawtribe.

4. Skittles. I know, he's supposed to be cute, but he annoyed me so much when I read Lord Brocktree.

I agree with pretty much every other post here, too.