Previous topic - Next topic

GeminyaTome

In no particular order:
1. Log-a-Log Tugga Bruster
2. Yoofus Lightpaw
3. Scarum
4. Nimalo
5. Cynthia
6. Murdops (spelling? Martin the Warrior, the rabbits who were picky about manners)

That's all I can think of right now.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on June 09, 2012, 10:19:47 AM
5) Rusvul Reguba (appears in Marlfox)

I hated this guy.  Yes, his wife died.  No, that does not make the way he treated Dann excusable.  Seriously, he was ridiculously cruel to his own son and mean to everyone around him.  He seemed almost unrealistically heartless.  I couldn't believe he didn't receive more scorn from the other abbey-dwellers.

Excuse me! As the resident Marlfox expert (I've read this one countless times... okay maybe just 5 times) He blew up ONCE does that make him heartless? Cruel? NO! Those are ugly words to describe someone with, this isn't Hitler we're talking about here, this is an anguished father born and raised in a warrior society that has a broken heart. I for one feel sorry for him! And did you even bother reading the END of the book? Rusval was really nice!

(I'll return later with those people I want to smack  ;))

Tugga Bruster  Now HE was cruel.

Cynthia bank vole  So darn prissy!

Murdops way to  "well-mannered"

Flib  she is soooooo annoying!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

No need to be rude about differing opinions, dannflorreguba.  Yes, I have in fact finished the book, four times.  Just because he is nice at the end of the book doesn't mean I liked him during it.  He wasn't just mean to his son; he was abrasive towards everybeast.  I didn't like it.  I don't put up with people like that in real life.  There's never cause for being consistently verbally abrasive and rude.  I'd rather not start an argument about my opinion that goes on for pages.

@Lily: ooh the Gawtrybe, I forgot about them.  Martin and his party ran into a lot of annoying characters on their quest to Noonvale! The mirdop rabbits too.

@dannflorreguba: I really liked Flib.  I thought she was pretty realistic; I grew up with a girl who was just like her. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

If you take my comments as rude than I'm sorry for that.... Have you seen saving private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? The Patriot? They all have two things in common... They are rated R and are about real life war. If you've seen these movies and have no compassion for those who have experienced war for real... That would make you (or whoever doesn't carry compassion) the heartless cruel one, not them. War is not a nice thing to go through. I have an uncle who WAS AT Black Hawk down... over night too. He has had his best friend blow up right in front of him and some of the pieces landed on him. He was trained as a ranger, has been shot, fragged, and gassed... He is rough at times... Quite often too... But he is one of the BETTER cases. Mods, if you want me to modify this post for its graphic depictions. please PM me, I'd like to be the one to change it if you think it needs changing.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 11, 2012, 04:15:08 PM
If you take my comments as rude than I'm sorry for that.... Have you seen saving private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? The Patriot? They all have two things in common... They are rated R and are about real life war. If you've seen these movies and have no compassion for those who have experienced war for real... That would make you (or whoever doesn't carry compassion) the heartless cruel one, not them. War is not a nice thing to go through. I have an uncle who WAS AT Black Hawk down... over night too. He has had his best friend blow up right in front of him and some of the pieces landed on him. He was trained as a ranger, has been shot, fragged, and gassed... He is rough at times... Quite often too... But he is one of the BETTER cases. Mods, if you want me to modify this post for its graphic depictions. please PM me, I'd like to be the one to change it if you think it needs changing.

Now you're insinuating that I have no compassion for real life veterans? I know many of them, and work with a lot of them.  My grandfather was a vet.  I do civil war reenacting in order to honor vets.  I've seen all the movies.  Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Im Westen Nichts Neues, The Pacific.  I know war is horrific.  Heck, I'm writing a novel about it.  

But this is not real war we are talking about.  We are speaking in Redwall terms.  Just think of all the warriors in the series.  Even the most bitter of them, Urthstrype the Mighty, was never so mean to others as Rusvul was.  And the impression that I got of Rusvul was that it was the death of his wife that made him bitter, not the horrors of war.  In fact, he almost glorified the way of the warrior.  No real life veteran that I know would say things of that nature.  They obviously have respect towards the armed forces and for those who have fought but I know very few of them who would be cruel to their son because he was not following the same way that they did or because he did not have the same levels of hard-trained discipline that they do.  Surely those sort of guys exist but I would have a little less respect for them.  Sympathy, maybe, but that is not a respectable quality.

I would appreciate in the future not making assumptions like that.  I took that a little personally.

Redwallwise, I still do not like Rusvul.  I understand him.  I know he lost his wife and that is an obscenely hard thing to go through.  But I do not like him and I don't have much respect for his character.  What if Nimbalo's father beat him because he was a warrior and had a hard go of life? Does that make him any more likeable? It makes him a round, and understandable character but not one that we have to like.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

Not to start a fight and I'm not trying to be rude, but I like the sarcastic Redwall animals as long as they're not overly gluttonous like some of the hares are.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

I was not assuming anything, I was remarking that ANYONE would end up the cruel one if they don't see the horror, you had no need to take it personally, that was geared towards everyone including myself. Just because this is a Fantasy series doesn't exclude it from horrific war-time experiences. You still haven't addressed the fact that Rusval only reacted ONCE, you are generalizing the rest of his character from his one time that he lost it.... He certainly wasn't proud of it. He was usually a fairly normal creature all other times. I'm sure you've lost someone close to you by now... It hurts alot, and I asume you know that. Now imagine losing someone even CLOSER. Yes, Rusval had pride, yes he aslo had issues..... But so do we all! Flib was a whole lot worse, Flib was a brat, disrespectful, full of herself, rude, commanding, unkind, uncommpassionate... All together just annoying. I am making no assumptions about you Flandor, I respect your opinion and your self... I just want to give MY opinion as well.

Flandor

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 11, 2012, 05:39:14 PM
I was not assuming anything, I was remarking that ANYONE would end up the cruel one if they don't see the horror, you had no need to take it personally, that was geared towards everyone including myself. Just because this is a Fantasy series doesn't exclude it from horrific war-time experiences. You still haven't addressed the fact that Rusval only reacted ONCE, you are generalizing the rest of his character from his one time that he lost it.... He certainly wasn't proud of it. He was usually a fairly normal creature all other times. I'm sure you've lost someone close to you by now... It hurts alot, and I asume you know that. Now imagine losing someone even CLOSER. Yes, Rusval had pride, yes he aslo had issues..... But so do we all! Flib was a whole lot worse, Flib was a brat, disrespectful, full of herself, rude, commanding, unkind, uncommpassionate... All together just annoying. I am making no assumptions about you Flandor, I respect your opinion and your self... I just want to give MY opinion as well.

Rusvul didn't only react once.  He spoke harshly many times during the book; it was only at it's worst after the tapestry was stolen.  I don't respect much parents who treat their children as disappointments, regardless of the situation.  I just don't like him during the beginning of the story.  I do like him after he changes his attitude.

I can perfectly understand you not liking Filb.  I found her entertaining, but I can certainly see how she would've annoyed others. 

Dannflower Reguba

One more thing, I'm not saying I even like Rusval, which I'm not really a fan of him anyway, I agree he was out of line a sometimes..... But that doesn't exactly warrant anyone calling him Cruel and heartless, the end of the book just goes to show he has a heart, I never meant anything but that. And about Flib..... She, in my opinion, was the most God-moded character in the series... Even worse than Mariel was.

(Hey! There's another one I'd like to slap!  :D)

Redwallfan7

who else? Um... Let's see

1. Tsarmina

2. Gawtrybe

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Flandor

Skittles from Lord Brocktree was insanely annoying too.  He was not a cute baby, he was a little terror who caused all kinds of anguish for the adults.

Dannflower Reguba

I  might not go to the extent as to smack him.... But he was definitely annoying!  :D  ;)

Redwallfan7

On a side note, I love the otters because they're sarcastic and mischievous, but they know how to limit themselves. For example, Kroova from Triss was rebellious and sarcastic but He also knew how to limit himself. I love sarcastic characters as long as they don't over do it or as long as they learn their lesson.

I know, off topic, but I just wanted to point that out.

Skipper

I would have slapped that shrew thingy, whats he called? the one that killed Log-a-log in Marlfox, oh and that grass snake and newt in Mossflower, that tried to stop Martin and his friends crossing the river.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Skipper on June 11, 2012, 07:26:47 PM
I would have slapped that shrew thingy, whats he called? the one that killed Log-a-log in Marlfox, oh and that grass snake and newt in Mossflower, that tried to stop Martin and his friends crossing the river.

Fenno, and I would have shot him with a bow.