Martin The Warrior - How did he come to Redwall?

Started by Moss the Warriormaid, August 29, 2012, 01:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moss the Warriormaid

In the first Redwall book Brian wrote, at the begining Abbot Mortimer tells Matthias that Martin fought a battle with a Wildcat army that was threatening to attack Redwall Abbey; suggesting that it was already built before he came. It also said that Abbey beats found him after the battle, next to death. This is somewhat similar to what happened in 'Mossflower'; Martin drove Tsarmina into the lake, causing her to drown, and the beasts that would later become creatures of Redwall found him injured and brought him back to health. It says that then (In 'Redwall') the Abbeybeasts then chose to become creatures of peace. These theories clash with the way that Brian says Martin 'came' to Redwall in 'Mossflower', it says that Martin came when Tsarmina's father ruled Mossflower; before Redwall was even thought of.

Which theory is correct?

WarriorOfMossflower

I'd say the Mossflower one is, because...
by the time Matthias came around, Martin would've been long-dead. Tales become muddled over time, and it is possible that it was intended to seem that way. Or Brian just made a mistake.
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

W0NWILL

Don't forget, the first one was written without the intention of a series. Brian maybe just chose a theory he liked better for a series over one that seemed better for a stand-alone book.

Ajc3000fox

Quote from: W0NWILL on August 29, 2012, 04:04:20 AM
Don't forget, the first one was written without the intention of a series. Brian maybe just chose a theory he liked better for a series over one that seemed better for a stand-alone book.
this is the real answer
Quote from: WarriorOfMossflower on August 29, 2012, 02:40:52 AM
. Tales become muddled over time, and it is possible that it was intended to seem that way.
but this works better for a cannon reason
"The way is dangerous, take this." " A gift? Will it protect me?" No, a sword is never a gift. It only brings death. It is a curse and gives you the duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I hope one day you will forgive me."

https://www.facebook.com/RedwallSeries

Lutra

That's the general answer.  Mossflower is the correct theory as to where Martin was when Redwall was founded, though I like the suggestion of stories becoming befuddled over time.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I wouldn't call the two 'theories' contradictory, but conflictory. That's the better word choice for the differences apparent between the first book and series.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

KaiTheDog

I know this is probably really off topic, but am I the only one who thinks that Moss The Warriormaid's post would make an interesting fanfiction? But, like WarriorofMossflower said, tales do become muddled over time, so by the time Matthias existed the origin story would have been very altered.
It actually makes me wonder if all of the Redwall books were somehow altered over time and being told over and over.

Flurgy Twinj

Originally Redwall was written as a standalone book but then certain elements were 'retconned' when it was expanded into a series. That's why there's a few inconsistencies.

I just consider the more recently written books to be the correct version of events and bear that in mind if I ever go back over the earlier ones again  :)
From tummy ache, soretail and sniffs,
From grunge and whisker cramp,
From wobbly paws, and flurgy twinj,
O keep all in this camp.

321tumbler

This is correct, but so is the fact that it wasn't intentionally a series.

Kitsune

I think that the Mosflower one is correct... Abbot Mortimer could have got his facts wrong.

Mattio

Quote from: Moss the Warriormaid on August 29, 2012, 01:41:34 AM
In the first Redwall book Brian wrote, at the begining Abbot Mortimer tells Matthias that Martin fought a battle with a Wildcat army that was threatening to attack Redwall Abbey; suggesting that it was already built before he came. It also said that Abbey beats found him after the battle, next to death. This is somewhat similar to what happened in 'Mossflower'; Martin drove Tsarmina into the lake, causing her to drown, and the beasts that would later become creatures of Redwall found him injured and brought him back to health. It says that then (In 'Redwall') the Abbeybeasts then chose to become creatures of peace. These theories clash with the way that Brian says Martin 'came' to Redwall in 'Mossflower', it says that Martin came when Tsarmina's father ruled Mossflower; before Redwall was even thought of.

Which theory is correct?
thank you for an un-hidden spoiler

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Mattio on January 25, 2013, 02:53:54 AM
Quote from: Moss the Warriormaid on August 29, 2012, 01:41:34 AM

Which theory is correct?
thank you for an un-hidden spoiler
Sorry pal, it happens some time.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Mattio

I know well I knew Tsarmina was gonna die sometime killed by martin. He really needs to stop vowing to kill people. One day he'll meet his match.

Kitsune

Leatho Shellhound

How did he die again....that would make a sad Fanfic.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner