News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Adders of Mossflower

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, July 06, 2011, 12:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

They made appearances in the series from beginning to end, throughout all known history of Mossflower. In many times the Quarry northeast of the Abbey was a home of theirs. They are hypnotic, hate about everything it seems, and generally are a serious problem. Shrews are by far the most terrified, they just can't deal with the fear adders put on them. Adders use fear as their greatest weapon.

Adders are defiantly somewhat mythical in the Redwall series, and legends abound in their descent and location, behavior and mood.
I'd say they were one of the Abbey's greatest enemies when they showed up.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

It'd be cool if there was a snake hoard that tried to take the abbey. That'd make a good book...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 06, 2011, 01:06:34 AM
It'd be cool if there was a snake hoard that tried to take the abbey. That'd make a good book...
That would be interesting. I don't think we've ever seen adders work together outside of Triss, and they hardly had a choice about that. A snake baddie - not like in Doomwyte, but an adder warlord in effect - would be awesome.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

In Outcast of Redwall, there was tons of adders in the Quarry which had fun attacking two vermin who wanted treasure. One had a battleaxe.

But yes, adders are very indepedent, and never once worked outside their species. Baliss the Slayer is not an exception.

Osu

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

My favourite adders are Zassaliss, Harssacs, and Sesstra. It made me feel creepy just reading about them.  :o it was cool how they learned to move together, but I was a bit grossed out when I realized the the awful smell came fromt their wounds.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Alessandro Reinares

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 06, 2011, 03:47:10 AM
In Outcast of Redwall, there was tons of adders in the Quarry which had fun attacking two vermin who wanted treasure. One had a battleaxe.

Hi Trag,

Woisn't it three o' thoim? A one big feller if youm asks moi. and 2 toiny ones all the soim. I am trying mole speech it's hard.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I think you're remembering Zassaliss and his two siblings from Triss, there was a large amount of adders in the Quarry in Outcast of Redwall

Alessandro Reinares

I meant 1 big fox and 2 little foxes ;)

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Actually it was only one fox. I thought I remembered the deceived taking a companion with him.

James Gryphon

Maris is actually right.

The scene that y'all are referring to is when Balefur, the Northern fox in Outcast of Redwall, is tricked by Nightshade into entering the quarry in search of treasure. He takes along two younger foxes with him to pick up the treasure. When they're surrounded by adders, the first one jumps into a deep pool and drowns; the other one, along with Balefur, are hypnotized and killed by the snakes.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Forgot those two.
So, I was actually originally right, except I forgot the number.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Let's hear it for another Northlander!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Nightfire

My favorite adder would be Assssmodeussss.  8)
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior