News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Goreleech

Started by Captain Tammo, February 18, 2013, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Whoa headinanothergalexy I haven't seen you in forever!!!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Martin the warrior

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 07, 2013, 02:19:36 PM
Some more perspective on just how huge the Goreleech would have been.  The average Trireme from Greek history had about 170 rowers. The Goreleech, being about twice as big as the average trireme would have had about 340 slavebeasts to row the ship.  Of course the average crew and fighting forces on The Goreleech would have been between 60 and 80 vermin.
WOW :o
Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 07, 2013, 02:19:36 PM
Some more perspective on just how huge the Goreleech would have been.  The average Trireme from Greek history had about 170 rowers. The Goreleech, being about twice as big as the average trireme would have had about 340 slavebeasts to row the ship.  Of course the average crew and fighting forces on The Goreleech would have been between 60 and 80 vermin.
ONLY 60-80 vermin? There had to be more than that!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Captain Tammo

60-80 vermin is a lot to fit on just one ship!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Captain Tammo on March 30, 2013, 06:00:16 PM
60-80 vermin is a lot to fit on just one ship!
That wouldn't be enugh to manage all of there slaves.

alderbowbeast

I would agree that 60-80 vermin on one ship controlling several hundred slaves would be a lot, but keep in mind, all the slaves are chained hand and foot, and not all of them are handled at the same time.  It is because of Beau and Vurg's thievery that all the slaves break loose and easily take over The Goreleech.  Not to mention that this is not a "pirate ship" in the conventional sense, like we think of from Pirates of the Caribbean.  This was a Greek Trireme,  60 to eighty crew members would have been a large crew.  Also keep in mind that the average crew for most of the ships would have been in the range of 15-30.  We know that there were not many more than 20 mice on Sayan
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 30, 2013, 06:35:57 PM
I would agree that 60-80 vermin on one ship controlling several hundred slaves would be a lot, but keep in mind, all the slaves are chained hand and foot, and not all of them are handled at the same time.  It is because of Beau and Vurg's thievery that all the slaves break loose and easily take over The Goreleech.  Not to mention that this is not a "pirate ship" in the conventional sense, like we think of from Pirates of the Caribbean.  This was a Greek Trireme,  60 to eighty crew members would have been a large crew.  Also keep in mind that the average crew for most of the ships would have been in the range of 15-30.  We know that there were not many more than 20 mice on Sayan
How do you know what type of ship it is?

Romsca

The book said it was a trireme

The Shade

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 30, 2013, 06:35:57 PM

Yeah, you only really need one or two vermin for avery line of slaves
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Pluz, ze zlavez vere nae fed vell, zae zey only 'ad enough tae rov, an' nae much elze.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

clunylooney

Well, in the book it says that if both halves of the Goreleech were put together, it would be as big as a small village. I live in Yarmouth. Yarmouth is a village, so it would be like a small Yarmouth. Which is HUGE
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Grond

Yeah the way that ship is described you would almost think that it is approaching the size of a dreadnought or even an aircraft carrier. Which for a ship from a pre-industrial age would be huge...

clunylooney

Quote from: Grond on April 27, 2020, 09:15:04 PM
Yeah the way that ship is described you would almost think that it is approaching the size of a dreadnought or even an aircraft carrier. Which for a ship from a pre-industrial age would be huge...
Fun fact: If the Goreleech is in fact the size of a small village, that would make it's crew number 500. Crazy.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me