Redwall Abbey Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Having problems joining or accessing your account? E-mail us!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   New

Author Topic: Lands of Ice and Snow  (Read 4515 times)

Mariel

• Abbey Bellringer
    • View Profile
Re: Lands of Ice and Snow
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »

It's possible to have ice and snow in a desert ... one of the rich Saudi Arabian countries has got a huge building with an inside ski slope, etc. in it. Even here in Auckland, New Zealand where it doesn't snow in the winter (it does snow further south in New Zealand though), there is an indoor ski slope called SnowPlanet, although I've never been there (like most tourist attractions, it's expensive).  :)
Yes it is possible just not likely,personally, I'm glad there isn't much snow where I come from(I hate the cold)

Buzz_Bumble

• Kitchen Assistant
  • Furry Ewok
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:14 AM »

... (I hate the cold)

I hate the heat. Summer here is attrociously bad, I'd hate to live in a desert or equatorial country (Fiji, Hawaii, etc.).  :(

Captain Tammo

• Global Moderator
  • Redwall Carpenter
  • Enjoy the Fall Extravaganza!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »

I think I've figured it out! Recently I was on a student exchange program in France (which was loads of fun! I highly recommend doing one if you have the chance!). However on the way there we had a layover in ICELAND. Seeing as I had never been there before, I did some research and read up on it throughout the airport. Quickly I saw what Icelandic people refer to it as over and over... "The land of ice and snow"!

Then it all clicked! Mossflower is based off of Great Britain, so the "lands of ice and snow" may actually be referring to Iceland, seeing as that is what it is commonly referred to! Though wolverines and wolves don't inhabit the island, it still makes sense because Brian only included BRITISH native animals in the books.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jetthebinturong

• Abbey Cellarbeast
  • Vares Kell
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »

Personally I know close to nothing about the lands of ice and snow,I live in a desert. ::)
Antarctica is a desert.....

I think the Land of Ice and Snow is based off all of Scandinavia not just Iceland
"I feel more like a possession than a prince."
~ Kell, A Darker Shade of Magic, V. E. Schwab

Jukka the Sling

• Abbey Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

@Captain Tammo: Never thought of that, but it makes sense!
“If all you do is fight for your own life, then your life is worth nothing.”  ~Hera Syndulla

Gonff the Mousethief

• Redwall Metalworker
  • PoM, the Poet
    • View Profile
    • My Story: The Bridge of Evon
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 05:30:35 AM »

:o :o MIND.BLOWN!!!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The creatures of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Shade

• Redwall Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »

I think I've figured it out! Recently I was on a student exchange program in France (which was loads of fun! I highly recommend doing one if you have the chance!). However on the way there we had a layover in ICELAND. Seeing as I had never been there before, I did some research and read up on it throughout the airport. Quickly I saw what Icelandic people refer to it as over and over... "The land of ice and snow"!

Then it all clicked! Mossflower is based off of Great Britain, so the "lands of ice and snow" may actually be referring to Iceland, seeing as that is what it is commonly referred to! Though wolverines and wolves don't inhabit the island, it still makes sense because Brian only included BRITISH native animals in the books.
Apart from that solitary beaver that we never saw again.  ;)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Jetthebinturong

• Abbey Cellarbeast
  • Vares Kell
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 02:12:10 AM »

Beavers WERE native to Britain at the time of the books writing, Brian said in an interview the the solitary beaver represented their dwindling population
"I feel more like a possession than a prince."
~ Kell, A Darker Shade of Magic, V. E. Schwab

321tumbler

• Infirmary Aide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2014, 02:48:14 AM »

I never knew that.

chaos_Leader

• Dibbun
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »

I was actually thinking about this for a while, but never really had the chance to put it forward.

Somewhere or another, wolves exist in the Redwall series' world. Urgan Nagru in "The Bellmaker" has the pelt and skull of a dead wolf, which he got in the Land of Snow and Ice (or so he claims). Size may not be much of a factor for wolves not being written about in the series, since the wolf Urgan Nagru got the pelt/skull from didn't seem too much larger than him, and he was a fox.

Some people here mentioned the Land of Snow and Ice being like Iceland, or other Nordic/Scandinavian areas. It was also mentioned that most of the inhabitants of the setting are native species to the British isles. This actually provides a literary opportunity for the series analogous with history: Wolves as an old Norse/Viking archetype.

Like the old Norsmen compared to the average medieval era Western-European man, Redwall wolves would easily stand quite a bit taller, and be much stronger and tougher than what had been encountered before. Not to mention the wolf pack hunting mentality is easily analogous to the methods of Viking raiders, as well as old Norse societal leadership.

It might be interesting to explore how the Redwall setting would react to a Viking-like threat, how it would respond to unknown opponents that are not at all like the vermin they've fought before. What would they do when wolf raiders pillage easy targets, when they begin to settle in their land and establish a long-term foothold?

Wylder Treejumper

• Abbey Glassmaker
  • The Christmas Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

Hey, chaos! Welcome to the forum! That is a very interesting comparison... I imagine Redwall would do as it does with other vermin bands, i.e. Stand strong and repel attacks...
"Behold, many are called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? Because... They do not learn this one lesson- that the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected to the powers of heaven, and the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." D&C 121:34-36

Leatho Shellhound

• Global Moderator
  • Abbey Cellarbeast
  • “I am that is, my sword shall wield for me.”
    • View Profile
    • Leatho Shellhound Blog
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »

The wolf pelt that Urgan Nagru got was said to have been from a wolf that was frozen dead. Maybe it was a very young wolf, that's why it was so small? Just a thought...
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Cornflower MM

• Redwall Recorder
  • Thanks, Rosie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »

Maybe. Personally, I never really thought about the Lands of Ice and Snow...Even though Rakkety Tam's my favorite book. I'll have to read it again and give y'all my opinion.

Maudie

• Redwall Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »

So, I see that this thread has touched upon the possibility of the Land of Ice and Snow being based on Iceland or Scandinavia, but what if it was based on North America or (more likely) Canada?
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (Luke 2:11)

Ashleg

• Season Namer
  • Abbey Cellarbeast
  • Cellars President
    • View Profile
    • Emperor Ashleg for Cellar President
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »

I always thought Ireland.
"Time for my highly elaborate and college-educated plan!"
-Sheldon Plankton

DO WE HAVE AN ACCORD?