News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Lands of Ice and Snow

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, July 11, 2011, 11:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariel

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 16, 2013, 03:35:08 AM
It's possible to have ice and snow in a desert ... one of the rich Saudi Arabian countries has got a huge building with an inside ski slope, etc. in it. Even here in Auckland, New Zealand where it doesn't snow in the winter (it does snow further south in New Zealand though), there is an indoor ski slope called SnowPlanet, although I've never been there (like most tourist attractions, it's expensive).  :)
Yes it is possible just not likely,personally, I'm glad there isn't much snow where I come from(I hate the cold)

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Mariel on June 29, 2013, 08:23:06 PM
... (I hate the cold)

I hate the heat. Summer here is attrociously bad, I'd hate to live in a desert or equatorial country (Fiji, Hawaii, etc.).  :(

Captain Tammo

I think I've figured it out! Recently I was on a student exchange program in France (which was loads of fun! I highly recommend doing one if you have the chance!). However on the way there we had a layover in ICELAND. Seeing as I had never been there before, I did some research and read up on it throughout the airport. Quickly I saw what Icelandic people refer to it as over and over... "The land of ice and snow"!

Then it all clicked! Mossflower is based off of Great Britain, so the "lands of ice and snow" may actually be referring to Iceland, seeing as that is what it is commonly referred to! Though wolverines and wolves don't inhabit the island, it still makes sense because Brian only included BRITISH native animals in the books.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Mariel on June 15, 2013, 07:57:19 PM
Personally I know close to nothing about the lands of ice and snow,I live in a desert. ::)
Antarctica is a desert.....

I think the Land of Ice and Snow is based off all of Scandinavia not just Iceland
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

@Captain Tammo: Never thought of that, but it makes sense!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Shade

Quote from: Captain Tammo on April 22, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
I think I've figured it out! Recently I was on a student exchange program in France (which was loads of fun! I highly recommend doing one if you have the chance!). However on the way there we had a layover in ICELAND. Seeing as I had never been there before, I did some research and read up on it throughout the airport. Quickly I saw what Icelandic people refer to it as over and over... "The land of ice and snow"!

Then it all clicked! Mossflower is based off of Great Britain, so the "lands of ice and snow" may actually be referring to Iceland, seeing as that is what it is commonly referred to! Though wolverines and wolves don't inhabit the island, it still makes sense because Brian only included BRITISH native animals in the books.
Apart from that solitary beaver that we never saw again.  ;)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Jetthebinturong

Beavers WERE native to Britain at the time of the books writing, Brian said in an interview the the solitary beaver represented their dwindling population
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

321tumbler

chaos_Leader

I was actually thinking about this for a while, but never really had the chance to put it forward.

Somewhere or another, wolves exist in the Redwall series' world. Urgan Nagru in "The Bellmaker" has the pelt and skull of a dead wolf, which he got in the Land of Snow and Ice (or so he claims). Size may not be much of a factor for wolves not being written about in the series, since the wolf Urgan Nagru got the pelt/skull from didn't seem too much larger than him, and he was a fox.

Some people here mentioned the Land of Snow and Ice being like Iceland, or other Nordic/Scandinavian areas. It was also mentioned that most of the inhabitants of the setting are native species to the British isles. This actually provides a literary opportunity for the series analogous with history: Wolves as an old Norse/Viking archetype.

Like the old Norsmen compared to the average medieval era Western-European man, Redwall wolves would easily stand quite a bit taller, and be much stronger and tougher than what had been encountered before. Not to mention the wolf pack hunting mentality is easily analogous to the methods of Viking raiders, as well as old Norse societal leadership.

It might be interesting to explore how the Redwall setting would react to a Viking-like threat, how it would respond to unknown opponents that are not at all like the vermin they've fought before. What would they do when wolf raiders pillage easy targets, when they begin to settle in their land and establish a long-term foothold?

Wylder Treejumper

Hey, chaos! Welcome to the forum! That is a very interesting comparison... I imagine Redwall would do as it does with other vermin bands, i.e. Stand strong and repel attacks...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Leatho Shellhound

The wolf pelt that Urgan Nagru got was said to have been from a wolf that was frozen dead. Maybe it was a very young wolf, that's why it was so small? Just a thought...
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Cornflower MM

Maybe. Personally, I never really thought about the Lands of Ice and Snow...Even though Rakkety Tam's my favorite book. I'll have to read it again and give y'all my opinion.

Maudie

So, I see that this thread has touched upon the possibility of the Land of Ice and Snow being based on Iceland or Scandinavia, but what if it was based on North America or (more likely) Canada?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg